Elgin City 2019/20

3 hours ago, elginite said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they were either plus hes from montrose area i think and im sure he singed a contract until 2022 a might be wrong 

He did sign a 2 year deal in January so won't be cheap. Arborath would make sense as he was always highly rated there and although they released him he's definitely starting to deliver on that promise. Don't think he's of Championship level yet but should make a very good League 1 player. With his temperament and court case still to come clubs might see him as a risky signing.

Aye tough game that, the Lowland is a very strong league these days and they're proving hard to beat in that. It's good that participation has opened up at this level, a trip to Haddington or somewhere (fan attendance permitting) would be delightful.

50 minutes ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

Brilliant first quarter for Elgin obviously - arguably exceeding initial expectations or were you always confident? Signings like Tony Dingwall mean that you could potentially sustain a promotion push too surely? 

Personally i'd say we were confident of around a playoff spot maybe in 4th just creeping in to playoffs when season started.

Was worried when shane sutherland left if there would be someone to step into his boots and keep scoring the majority of games but hester seems to be doing pretty well at it so far and even when he was out few of the midfield stepped in with some goals.

Think it also helps that we've kept most of the squad from last season after pushing for promotion then and also adding to this seasons squad helps and the winning consistency seems to be carrying on so far and not really surprised that were 2nd and in the playoffs area but of course havent seen much of the games cant say much about the other teams apart from queens park seem to be well organised and most probably take the league

39 minutes ago, cityloon said:

Personally i'd say we were confident of around a playoff spot maybe in 4th just creeping in to playoffs when season started.

Was worried when shane sutherland left if there would be someone to step into his boots and keep scoring the majority of games but hester seems to be doing pretty well at it so far and even when he was out few of the midfield stepped in with some goals.

Think it also helps that we've kept most of the squad from last season after pushing for promotion then and also adding to this seasons squad helps and the winning consistency seems to be carrying on so far and not really surprised that were 2nd and in the playoffs area but of course havent seen much of the games cant say much about the other teams apart from queens park seem to be well organised and most probably take the league

I watch out for Elgin and wish them all the best in L2. I'm sure you'd fancy yourselves against the likes of Clyde or Forfar even if you don't win the league outright.

I'm a fan of Hester. Personally I think he's the type of striker that would pair up well with Mitch at Cove. He'd be night and day better than Rory.

1 hour ago, cityloon said:

Yeah Hester really stepped up in the absence of Sutherland and Josh Peters been a shrewd signing too. Know what you're saying about retaining the majority of the squad from last season - a lot of teams who have done that (Montrose and Stranraer spring to mind) have benefitted from that consistency and seem to have kicked on. 

You certainly seem a good team to watch so would be good to see Elgin some point this season.

A disappointing first half yesterday. I'm a fan of us playing out from the back but it was putting us under pressure and most of the time we ended up lumping it long to no one anyway. Sometimes I think it's better to be a bit more direct if need be and play the game in the opposition half.

The goal immediately after half time really changed the course of the game and after that it was a question of how many. Hester has his off days (and even yesterday he was ineffectual until his first) but when he comes alive he's outstanding.

13 hours ago, afca32 said:

Sometimes I think it's better to be a bit more direct if need be and play the game in the opposition half.

Is that not the same as lumping the ball forward? There are times with an opposition press that you have to do this but really then we are relying on Hesters pace and that should be easily read by any decent defence. When we lump it forward we very rarely keep possession of the ball.  I felt first half especially, yesterday we were slow and sluggish.
As for the season itself, I still think we are a mid table team but would be disappointed not to make the playoffs from the position we are in. We have defended as a team well and obviously Hesters goals have helped, defensively as well. I have been disappointed with Peters so far. I thought he was a good signing but has shown little. He does not look fit to me. The Dingwall signing should be decent but as he has not played since last season, he is going to take a fair time to get match fit, if he gets in the team so may be no more than a bit part player. A lot will depend on keeping players fit and Hester at the club.

I don’t think there is the same quality in the League this year, possibly a legacy of Covid dictated finances. and a lot will depend on how teams around us strengthen in January. QP are gone, Stranraer are on a great run and appear a different team to when we played them, Stirling are a solid team but we’ve beaten them twice this year, a couple of additions might give them an extra edge, think there is more to come from Edinburgh, Stenny, I think should be doing better. I thought Annan would be better but they are always capable of getting a result and Cowdenbeath are struggling because of a lack of depth in their squad and injuries. I think Brechin might sign a player or two in January and think that might give them the edge over Rovers. 
Well that’s my take on things, feel free to disagree!

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Is that not the same as lumping the ball forward? There are times with an opposition press that you have to do this but really then we are relying on Hesters pace and that should be easily read by any decent defence. When we lump it forward we very rarely keep possession of the ball.

Setting up to go long at least allows us to push players up the pitch. On Saturday from goal kicks our defence was in and around our own box and the strikers in our half. We really struggled to play through midfield, meaning the best result most of the time was McHardy trying to find Peters and Hester with 25 yard+ passes which never came off, and at worst we put ourselves under pressure by giving it away or clearing it out for throw ins.

I'm not advocating lumping it forward regularly as we clearly don't have the players for it. But playing out from the back wasn't working in the first half and going long early to a group of players might have gained us some territory of which we had very little. This at least might make it possible play some decent football in the opposition half rather than the fairly torturous "pass around the back then lump it to no one or put ourselves under pressure and clear it anywhere" style we saw.

Of course it might have been even more uselss but I'd like to think in the future if something isn't working for us we're adaptable enough to mix it up slightly. I should also give Civil Service credit as they pressed us far more intelligently than a lot of teams in our own league have done in recent times.

• 2 weeks later...