Elgin City 2019/20

4 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

The draw is shite but I'll welcome anything at the moment!

Slightly concerned at the lack of transfer activity, it's good that we've retained the bulk of our squad and I am hoping Macbeath etc hit the ground running, but I see the players that the clubs around us are bringing in and it's making me a little apprehensive..

Club was in a much better position than many clubs going into lockdown as already something like 12 players contracted through to 2021, so not as much need as other clubs to be super active in the market. Since then players like O'Keefe & Bronsky have re-signed & Macbeath has been added, so probably up to something like 16 now, including young Charlie Hay. The issue that I think they have is that the budget has been reduced due to lockdown, & a lot of that will have been eaten up by the players that are already signed. I know that all those players were asked to accept a pay cut, but don't think that has happened - as Captain, Spark has taken over from Shane as 'shop steward' - so won't be much left for many more signings I'd imagine. Have already mentioned about other lads that were offered amateur terms & decided not to accept & to go elsewhere, so thinking that they'll now need to find a few bob down the back of the Boardroom sofa to entice one or two more.

Club was in a much better position than many clubs going into lockdown as already something like 12 players contracted through to 2021, so not as much need as other clubs to be super active in the market. Since then players like O'Keefe & Bronsky have re-signed & Macbeath has been added, so probably up to something like 16 now, including young Charlie Hay. The issue that I think they have is that the budget has been reduced due to lockdown, & a lot of that will have been eaten up by the players that are already signed. I know that all those players were asked to accept a pay cut, but don't think that has happened - as Captain, Spark has taken over from Shane as 'shop steward' - so won't be much left for many more signings I'd imagine. Have already mentioned about other lads that were offered amateur terms & decided not to accept & to go elsewhere, so thinking that they'll now need to find a few bob down the back of the Boardroom sofa to entice one or two more.
Very fair and rational points. Think I need to stop following Queens Park on twitter [emoji23]

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/a-released-aberdeen-player-and-a-former-thorn-in-elgin-citys-side-will-be-on-trial-at-the-borough-briggs-club-when-pre-season-training-returns-next-week-210359/

2 players and a possibility of archie back on loan to us from formartine

Edited by elginite
Original link didn't work

Peters would be a good signing for you, if your team plays in a similar way to how you played last season.

I have no idea if he was offered another deal at Stirling Albion or not, but a large chunk of our support was surprised to see him leave. Maybe this is down to his move back to Aviemore but either way, you would be getting a good player for this level and one that would fit in nicely to your style of play.

No news on Loveland or Sopel re-signing as yet. The two trial players are unlikely to come in for no money, so I could see both of the youngsters going elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong, but such a shame to see all the good youngsters that the club has developed over the last few years being lost.

22 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Since he was at Strathspey I’ve always thought Peters would be a good fit at Elgin. He will offer something different. Hope a deal gets done.

He's always been a goalscorer. Think he got 12 or 13 in the first half of the season for Strathspey - when they were decidedly shite - before getting his move to Hibs or wherever it was. Obviously not quite got enough for the higher level, but certainly decent at SFL2. Elgin will need two or three 15 goals-a-season strikers & two or three 8-10 goal contributions from midfielders this season if going to balance out the loss of Shane's goals.

6 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

He's always been a goalscorer. Think he got 12 or 13 in the first half of the season for Strathspey - when they were decidedly shite - before getting his move to Hibs or wherever it was. Obviously not quite got enough for the higher level, but certainly decent at SFL2. Elgin will need two or three 15 goals-a-season strikers & two or three 8-10 goal contributions from midfielders this season if going to balance out the loss of Shane's goals.

I make that roughly 60+ goals for the season. Would make it at least 2 goals a game on average, which should guarantee a play off spot at least. We're all going to have to rejig our ideas a bit for the 27 game season!

A play-off spot has to be the minimum target, & scoring on average two goals a game would go a long way to achieving that. My original thoughts were based on a standard full season, so if we're looking at 27 games / 75% of a usual season, then maybe 2 or 3 12 goals a season strikers & 2 or 3 7-8 goals from midfielders. So that's that rejigged! 🙂

Think the play offs are the same but don’t know if there is a contingency plan in place should they not be able to complete the 27 game season or either the HL or LL can’t , which there must be some doubt about.
The HL are going with a 16 game season with 27 available Saturdays so they should have no issue.

18 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
19 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:
Think the play offs are the same but don’t know if there is a contingency plan in place should they not be able to complete the 27 game season or either the HL or LL can’t , which there must be some doubt about.

The HL are going with a 16 game season with 27 available Saturdays so they should have no issue.

But League Cup in a new group stage format which will add a few more games, & Scottish Cup (assuming HL / LL included this season), & inevitable weather-related postponements, but should be comfortably do-able, any more Covid issues notwithstanding. Hope that the HL & LL have made things watertight that winners get into play-offs as usual, as can see lower-end SFL2 teams trying to wriggle out of that given half a chance.

Anybody know if the club has the capability of live streaming games? The way the Government is tightening restrictions it is becoming increasingly likely that spectators will not be allowed into games at the start of the season. Assuming the League continues with no spectators there is very little income stream.  Live streaming as other clubs are considering would at least give us some?