Elgin City 2019/20

The first thing I checked was when we played Stranraer away as it's the one ground I've not been to and am dead keen to go. Obviously I highly doubt away fans will be allowed in for the opening game but playing there again in April could well be doable.

56 minutes ago, madton said:

Rabin Omar

Thoughts? Signed with us. 

He is a good player, but hot headed. Probably sent off about 4 or 5 times in his two seasons with us along with a lot of bookings.  He divided the supporters by playing well then picking up a needless yellow or a red . Always glad to her of a former player going full time.

A talented player but as mentioned above he likes a card of either colour. He can play as a winger, central midfielder or even up front with someone who will put in a shift but he's definitely best as an attacking midfielder. I would've had liked to have kept him but was hardly gutted when he left. I thought he'd end up at another League 2 (at a push League 1) club so to see him sign for a full time Championship team is a shock, he wasn't in our best XI towards the end of last season. Good luck to him anyway.

Decent enough player at our level but was not a guaranteed starter. As has been said played in a variety of positions and you could never pin him down and say what his best position was. Discipline also a problem. IMO he is a good yard of pace short for Championship level. There are better midfielders at Elgin and most other teams in the division. Horses for courses though, you never know.

On 05/08/2020 at 14:20, madton said:

Rabin Omar

Thoughts? Signed with us. 

Think the best that I've seen him play was in the BetFred at Arbroath last season when he was played in his preferred role of central midfield. Picked the ball up off the back four all game & linked the play up superbly going forward. He's not a wide player. Doesn't have the pace & the tricks & doesn't want to play there. Used more often in his best position he could have been a key player for Elgin. Will be interesting to see how he does at Morton, as sometimes managers do see something in lower league players & then play them to their strengths, & they end up surprising the former club with what they achieve.

On another note, a shame to see that Ashley Ballam has followed Liam McDade out of the club, also signing for Strathspey Thistle. Offering the youngsters amateur terms when they know that all the other players are being rewarded financially for their commitment doesn't suggest that they are valued, or a level playing field, & shortsighted also if the club now has to bring in one or two more defenders, who of course won't come for free. The Club has done an excellent job with the Academy & U20s over the last few years to develop these players, & whilst circumstances are obviously not normal at present, it seems that work is now being undone by not retaining the commitment to bringing the youngsters through.

I definitely have sympathy for the younger players as it’s vital they see a path to the first team. That said it’s a big step from Academy to first team. These lads have been on loan in the HL and I would trust that if the management team thought they were ready Or good enough they would be in the running for a start and therefore getting a first team contract. All is not lost though. A decent season or two in the HL and they could easily come back.

They were First Team contracts T&G, but with an expectation of not paying the lads for the required First Team level commitment to training, travel & games. Think they thought that 'opportunity' was an attractive enough currency, but it obviously hasn't turned out that way, & they'll now have to pay money anyway to get in other players to fill those places in the squad, so it proved to be an attempted false economy.

I definitely have sympathy for the younger players as it’s vital they see a path to the first team. That said it’s a big step from Academy to first team. These lads have been on loan in the HL and I would trust that if the management team thought they were ready Or good enough they would be in the running for a start and therefore getting a first team contract. All is not lost though. A decent season or two in the HL and they could easily come back.

Have seen the manager quoted as saying a squad of 18 this season, so yes, a smaller overall squad than prior seasons, & if you're offering players contracts to be a part of that squad, then presumably you want them to be there, or otherwise they wouldn't have been offered. He doesn't have 18 at present, so money will need to be spent.

I may have missed or forgotten this but in the players section Spark is listed as club captain which I'm happy with, good luck to him.

Also the league cup draw did not excite me. Arbroath for the 3rd year running, Stirling Albion for the 3rd time in 5 years and Ross County for the 2nd time in 3 years. At least we haven't played Montrose in a couple of years and if it's away (and fans are allowed) I would probably head to that as it's been a while and it's always a good trip. I got the impression from reading comments of fans of other teams that I am far from the only one finding this competition repetitive.

I agree that it’s not the best draw but there is always a chance of getting Hibs , Hearts etc. It’s better than the previous boring pre season friendlies and of course with the draw being regionalised you are always going to play the same teams frequently.

Think Spark has been captain since Darryl went on loan. Think Soapy maybe inherited it for a couple of games prior.

The draw is shite but I'll welcome anything at the moment!

Slightly concerned at the lack of transfer activity, it's good that we've retained the bulk of our squad and I am hoping Macbeath etc hit the ground running, but I see the players that the clubs around us are bringing in and it's making me a little apprehensive..