Elgin City 2019/20

Hopefully now that they've signed up O'Keefe, Dingwall & Bronksky, they'll know what's in the coffers to offer some reasoanble terms to the youngsters that have come through the Academy. Liam McDade has already rejected the amateur terms offered & has signed for Strathspey Thistle, & would be a shame to see any more of Aidan Sopel, Owen Loveland & Ashley Ballam not continuing their development in the squad, & to push the more established players for a place in the side. Would seem a little short-sighted with how well the Academy has done in bringing these guys through, to then not offer them reasonable terms to keep them at the Club as the 'next generation', whilst at the same potentially spending more money on new signings that have no promise of any longevity at the Club.

In these difficult times it’s the youngsters who always seem to lose out. All depends on how you look at things. We want to retain the youngsters but at the same time is the team going to be stronger short term with them playing regularly. You could also ask what are the youngsters priorities, getting a contract or getting more dosh at another club. Difficult one all round.

Yes, it's a difficult balance T&G. Hard for the lads as whilst it's not just about the money, if you've sat on a bench all season like Sopel did last year, or been out on loan for three seasons like Ballam, then you'd probably like to think that if the Club is wishing to retain your services, then they'd show commitment to the players by giving them something, as with any other player that is deemed worthy of a contract. Ultimately like all players they want to play football, so the lure of regular football & getting a few quid elsewhere will doubtless be a tempting one, versus potentially doing all the travelling & sitting on a bench for nothing to show for it in their pockets.

We've signed Joel Macbeath, formerly of Ross County. Doesn't look like he's played a huge amount of first team football apart from a few games at Montrose last season. Any insider knowledge?
Lots of potential in young Joel. He did OK when he got his chance in games but Petrie didn't fancy him too much. Very pacey and decent finisher. Very confident in himself haha.

I am almost certain I saw a post on Facebook/twitter to say Omar had left, can't seem to find it anywhere though.. he's been one of my favourite players in recent years and it's a shame if he has left.

Edit: knew I'd seen it somewhere, the official word is that he's been released.

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/sport/rabin-omar-and-andrew-mcdonald-part-company-with-elgin-city-201563/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Once/if things get going, how's the chances of automatic promotion/play offs? Or is it anybody's guess?

High time City got themselves up a division.

I agree.

Edinburgh City that is :P

Mind you I wouldn't complain if Elgin went up via the play offs at the expense of, ooh let's pick a team at random, Clyde ...

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Once/if things get going, how's the chances of automatic promotion/play offs? Or is it anybody's guess?

High time City got themselves up a division.

We've retained the vast majority of the squad from last year which is good. We still possibly need a winger and a centre-half but I wouldn't expect both right now. I do worry that Shane might be too big a loss but otherwise I think we're in great shape.

23 hours ago, afca32 said:

We still possibly need a winger and a centre-half

Not sure that we do. Got Wilson, Cooper, Bronsky, McHardy, Spark, the new lad from Stirling Uni, & Ballam if he re-signs, so not exactly short at the back, & out wide, Sopel needs to be given a chance having sat on the bench all last season, & Thomson is also a wide player. There will always be players available on loan if holes are identified, & with 14/15 players already signed, & more to potentially re-sign, not sure that chasing further signings when Tatters keeps saying how tight the finances are is the way that the club needs to go. Just my thoughts on the situation.

7 minutes ago, Highland ITFC said:

Not sure that we do. Got Wilson, Cooper, Bronsky, McHardy, Spark, the new lad from Stirling Uni, & Ballam if he re-signs, so not exactly short at the back, & out wide, Sopel needs to be given a chance having sat on the bench all last season, & Thomson is also a wide player. There will always be players available on loan if holes are identified, & with 14/15 players already signed, & more to potentially re-sign, not sure that chasing further signings when Tatters keeps saying how tight the finances are is the way that the club needs to go. Just my thoughts on the situation.

I don't really disagree with anything you say but the question was about our promotion chances next season. McHardy/Bronsky looks to be our first choice partnership and although I think both are good players, the last time this was the case our defence was pretty shaky. Sopel might make a good player but from what I've seen I think it would be fair to say he'll be a downgrade on Mackay, who although inconsistent was capable of brilliant performances. I've not really followed who other clubs are signing and I'm aware finances are tight everywhere, but Queen's Park for example who were in similar form to ourselves prior to the league shutting down now have a defence that wouldn't look out of place in the Championship. There have been other impressive signings around the league, and while I hope continuity works for us, it would be hard to say we're likely to be promoted when right now we do look weaker than last year.

The league doesn't kick off for nearly 3 months so I'm not at all worried but if we're aiming for promotion then a loan signing in each of those positions would be very useful but as I said I won't expect both.

It’s interesting to hear everybody’s thoughts on things and how things are shaping up. Long way to go till season starts and loads of players about. At the moment IMO we are weaker than we were last season’s end. We are minus Sutherland, Graham, Omar, McPhee and McKay. The last 3 I think can be covered by the additions and younger ones but a decent striker and centre half with a bit of experience is where we need to strengthen. I don’t see any of our other defenders having the quality to adequately replace Graham although I don’t know anything about the Stirling Uni lad. He could go with finding a defensive midfielder to cover the defence instead?

QP are the money team this year and with a quality defence already signed and Bob McHugh in as a striker they look clear favourites and I would think not much between the rest of us. If we have ambitions of promotion I think we need a couple of good signings in.