Elgin City 2019/20

17 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I see that Rabin Omar and Andy Macdonald appear on the SPFA site for out of contract players looking for clubs.

Interesting that there's no comms from the club on this. Would usually expect to see at least the cliche of "thanks for all they've done & good luck for the rest of their careers". Suspect that as both weren't guaranteed starters, they've decided to see what else is potentially out there for them that doesn't involve all the travelling to maybe have to sit on the bench at least some of the time. 

A difficult situation for club & players, as the club will likely not want to put new contract offers on the table until it is clearer on the situation regarding re-starting & the related financial situation, & the players are of course looking for some kind of certainty in their situations, so can understand them perhaps saying 'let's see who else may be interested'. Would imagine that they'll have the option to speak with the club again if no better offers come around, & the club are interested to have them back again.

I think this might just be the 1st batch of contracts running out. I seen somewhere that for some reason most contracts for players in scotland either run out on June 1st or June 30th. So we could well see the rest of the out of contract boys appearing on that available list at the end of the month.

3 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

All clubs are in the same boat and with players from higher up league teams available it may be a case of swings and roundabouts.

Yes, maybe one or two of the youngsters just released by ICT may find their way to BB, although hopefully not at the expense of our own, unless demonstrably better. The lad Jack Brown in central midfield would certainly be worth a look - really surprised that they released him as he's one that had already made his 1st Team debut & seemed to be highly rated - but don't think any of the others are much different / ahead of what we have already.

You know the youth scene better than me but it’s a fair step up from Fort William or other HL teams they have been playing at. Even Daniel Mckay who is above them in the ICT pecking order was not outstanding at our level. They all of course, including Daniel have time to develop but agree unless they are way better than what we have I don’t see any point in taking them.

18 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

You know the youth scene better than me but it’s a fair step up from Fort William or other HL teams they have been playing at. Even Daniel Mckay who is above them in the ICT pecking order was not outstanding at our level. They all of course, including Daniel have time to develop but agree unless they are way better than what we have I don’t see any point in taking them.

Yes, definitely agree on this. I said last season that it was disappointing to see higher club's loan players coming in to Elgin rather than to at least give our own young guys a chance first. Both Daniel & Cameron Harper have been retained by ICT so they clearly believe that they have a future, although in part also that they are already on longer contracts, & if it weren't for them having to cut costs, then I'd have expected them to also retain Jack Brown & maybe one or two of the others, such as Ross Gunn who was a nominee in their Young Player award this season, & maybe Ryan Fyffe who had an excellent season at centre back for Fort - always an opportunity for good experience for a defender - & definitely has the potential to progress. Ross Jack recognised Brown's potential when he nicked him from Fort & put him straight into a top-end-of-the-table side at Rothes, so hence my suggestion that Elgin may take a look, especially if Dingwall moves on. Other than that though, would like to think that the likes of Aidan Sopel, Owen Loveland, Jake Thompson, Ashley Ballam & Liam McDade will get their opportunity in whatever & whenever pre-season may look like, & hopefully some of them make their mark & get into the side.

The more local boys, if they are good enough the better. You sound like the kind of guy who knows the HL and youth scene that the club could do with advising them on. I have thought for a long time that the club doesn’t have an in depth knowledge of who’s who in the north area below our level. I could be completely wrong on this but we never seem to be mentioned as interested in the best young talent in HL and locally.

On 04/06/2020 at 14:45, Thom & Gerry said:

The more local boys, if they are good enough the better. You sound like the kind of guy who knows the HL and youth scene that the club could do with advising them on. I have thought for a long time that the club doesn’t have an in depth knowledge of who’s who in the north area below our level. I could be completely wrong on this but we never seem to be mentioned as interested in the best young talent in HL and locally.

Have thought about this some more, & it occurred to me that the reason for the perceived lack of in-depth knowledge of the HL & youth football could be that neither the Manager or his assistant are from the area, so will likely have more personal knowledge of the sides & players around Perth & Dundee areas than the HL area. The Academy Manager is also of course very focused on bringing the club's own younger players through, & likely has little time for 'scouting' at games where the club is not involved. I might be wrong, but it seems to make sense, & maybe some kind of scouting resource in the HL area could be a way to go, even if just a voluntary / expenses-only type post. It was a shame that the best young player in the HL, Andy Macrae, didn't like what he saw when on trial a couple of pre-seasons back, as would think that those are the kind of players that Elgin should have a chance of picking up.

What’s everybody thinking about Rangers restructuring proposal for an 18 team 3rd tier?OF colts sides allowed in with both OF clubs giving a total of £125k to be distributed to the other clubs in the league with also a guarantee of buying 150 away tickets for each match they are involved in. Other PL sides would be allowed an affiliation to a lower league side allowing them to play a maximum of 6 players, also provide coaches and other assistance as required. This League would also involve Brora and Kelty.

Tatters has come out and said he’s against it in the short term.

5 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

What’s everybody thinking about Rangers restructuring proposal for an 18 team 3rd tier?OF colts sides allowed in with both OF clubs giving a total of £125k to be distributed to the other clubs in the league with also a guarantee of buying 150 away tickets for each match they are involved in. Other PL sides would be allowed an affiliation to a lower league side allowing them to play a maximum of 6 players, also provide coaches and other assistance as required. This League would also involve Brora and Kelty.

Tatters has come out and said he’s against it in the short term.

If Tatters is turning down money, it must be a really bad deal!!!

7 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

I am totally against it aswell. Takes away the competitive element in the league for me. Would the colts teams be allowed to be promoted if they won the league in the proposal?

Yes they can be promoted as far as the Championship and relegated.

So a team that has a “chequered” financial past can come with £125k per annum plus another £1.5k per away game plus the additional expenses of sending a bunch of schoolboys round the country for the sake of Scottish Fitba?

In the fucking bin with it.

17 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

So a team that has a “chequered” financial past can come with £125k per annum plus another £1.5k per away game plus the additional expenses of sending a bunch of schoolboys round the country for the sake of Scottish Fitba?

In the fucking bin with it.

I was thinking the same thing- any cheque would bounce worse than the ball on Stirling's old plastic pitch and I bet they would defer any payment to the end of a season.

Spivs.