Elgin City 2019/20

Aye, I see multiple sources reporting it. Not sure how a pre-contract really benefits either club as you'd think Caley would want Sutherland now, rather than in the summer. We're losing him for bugger all now and it'll be a challenge to keep him motivated.
Caley probably trying to do it on the cheap and Elgin have no say in it at all.

Hopefully he is motivated for next season and we see the benefits of that for the rest of this season.

Big blow for us though.

Fair play to him if he's getting the opportunity to play full-time football, which at his age isn't going to be one that may come along again if he doesn't take this opportunity. That said, hopefully he'll see fit to give Elgin some payback for their support of him over the years, especially when coming back from the bad injury, & will 'put it in' over the rest of the season. And even if he doesn't do it for the Club, then he's got an opportunity to have his best ever goalscoring season, perhaps even targetting the 40 goal mark, so that will motivate him for himself. If not, & he starts to cause any grief within the squad / dressing room, then that's where the manager will have to earn his corn in managing the situation for the ongoing good of the Club. 

26 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Aye, I see multiple sources reporting it. Not sure how a pre-contract really benefits either club as you'd think Caley would want Sutherland now, rather than in the summer. We're losing him for bugger all now and it'll be a challenge to keep him motivated.

Aye a strange situation to end up in, will he start training with Caley to get the benefit of full time or just continue with Elgin twice a week until the end of the season. A good player at this level when his mind is on it but can switch off if things not going his way. If not joining until next season it could possibly be in the Premier League which could well be a step too far at this stage in his career, presume he has been offered a couple years from Caley or again hardly worth the change.

Big loss for Elgin but it was always a possibility that it might happen. Smart is a good addition to your attacking options.

I think Shane will de dedicated until the end. He’ll want to prove to ICT that his goals and performances warrant the move and a start in their team.

Aye a strange situation to end up in, will he start training with Caley to get the benefit of full time or just continue with Elgin twice a week until the end of the season. A good player at this level when his mind is on it but can switch off if things not going his way. If not joining until next season it could possibly be in the Premier League which could well be a step too far at this stage in his career, presume he has been offered a couple years from Caley or again hardly worth the change.
Indeed, you'd think that Caley would be desperate for him now rather than in 6 months.

If they go up then he's probably not going to get near the first team; if they don't go up then surely Caley must be looking at dropping to part time fitba if they're as skint as the media are reporting.

Usual scenario is player signs pca then both clubs spend a couple of weeks haggling about how much to release him now.
I think that will be the case aswell unfortunately. In usual circumstances I would back that, but on this one I really think if we have any chance of getting into that play offs places, an on form Sutherland is vital to that.

13 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Did ok but like many young loanees  never looked any better than what we had and did nothing to suggest he had a future as a full time footballer.

Agree with you T&G. Would be nice to see our own youngsters getting an opportunity to show what they can do, rather than the seeming desire to always look at bringing in loanees whenever there's an injury or two. The club is developing a lot of good youngsters through the U20s, with Tatters saying that he wants to increase the number of local players in the First Team & have less reliance & expense on Central Belt players, but if those lads don't get an opportunity to show what they can do - all of them may not take that opportunity of course - then there's a fair chance that they'll get offers from Highland League clubs & will decide better to be playing football every week than travelling all around the country to warm the bench.    

18 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Did ok but like many young loanees  never looked any better than what we had and did nothing to suggest he had a future as a full time footballer.

Guess that's why he's rocked up at ourselves.

I take it he didn't ever play at right-back whilst he was with you lot? I reckon that's most likely where we'll put him at the moment.