Elgin City 2019/20

On 05/01/2020 at 16:20, Super Elgin City said:

Yesterday was very frustrating again. Thought we matched Edinburgh no problem and deserved a draw, but again we walk away with nothing.
At this mid stage of the season where do we all see us finishing?

I think we will be 8th and yet another season of midtable mediocrity.

20 years of this. What can be done to change this?

I know geography is a problem is attracting the very best players to the club, but there has to be more to it than that. It's uncanny how often the same thing happens to us. Either a good start and fall away. Or a bad start and we are out of it then finish strong and fall just short.

The thing is, the crowd levels and hospitality numbers are starting to badly struggle because of it. How can the trend be stopped?

Do we need to get some younger forward thinking people onto the board to try something different? In my mind something needs done soon or we could well end up back in the Highland League which would be an absolute disaster.

this

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Would he be able to make the step up?

We’re desperate for a striker to come in and get us over the line.

could play at higher level but would be gutted to lose him and would demonstrate a complete lack of ambition by the club 

59 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

He made it clear recently in the press that he was still looking for full time football.

Proven goalscorer seeks full-time football ..... meet cash-strapped full-time Highland football club that could fancy getting a proven goalscorer without breaking the bank. Too far fetched? 

Seen that mentioned about Raith being in for him.

He lives in Hopeman and travelling to Perth to train when he was at Peterhead was a big issue.

So unless the money is too good to turn down, I would imagine this might just mean an extension to his Elgin contract and a healthy payrise.

Do Peterhead not train in Forfar though? Easy another 40 minutes

Just checked where Hopeman is anyway... maybe not

Two unnamed English league sides have contacted the Borough Briggs club in an effort to land the front man, who has netted 22 goals for City this season.

North of the border, League 1 leaders Raith Rovers, who Sutherland scored against in the Challenge Cup quarter-finals, are believed to be one of the clubs keen to recruit the former Caley Thistle man.

Elgin manager Gavin Price says he is determined to keep his main marksman but the lure of full-time football could tempt him away.

“We are desperate to keep Shane, there’s no doubt about that,” he said. “As you would expect there’s been plenty of interest from other teams, that was inevitable given the season he’s had.

“Although we are going to fight hard to keep him, which we are doing at the moment, he has made it clear that he probably wants to see what happens in this January window before he commits.

“I’ll be trying my best to keep him but I know the attraction for Shane is full-time football, one last crack at it probably, and I will be respectful of that as well.

“But I also want to get into that play-off position this year and it’s a no-brainer that he’s vital in our aim to do that.”

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Shane again on the last day of the window with no time to replace him.

Two unnamed English league sides have contacted the Borough Briggs club in an effort to land the front man, who has netted 22 goals for City this season.

North of the border, League 1 leaders Raith Rovers, who Sutherland scored against in the Challenge Cup quarter-finals, are believed to be one of the clubs keen to recruit the former Caley Thistle man.

Elgin manager Gavin Price says he is determined to keep his main marksman but the lure of full-time football could tempt him away.

“We are desperate to keep Shane, there’s no doubt about that,” he said. “As you would expect there’s been plenty of interest from other teams, that was inevitable given the season he’s had.

“Although we are going to fight hard to keep him, which we are doing at the moment, he has made it clear that he probably wants to see what happens in this January window before he commits.

“I’ll be trying my best to keep him but I know the attraction for Shane is full-time football, one last crack at it probably, and I will be respectful of that as well.

“But I also want to get into that play-off position this year and it’s a no-brainer that he’s vital in our aim to do that.”

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Shane again on the last day of the window with no time to replace him.
So basically he is away again....Shock!

This was always going to be the case. I said at the time on here that I couldn't believe we paid money to take Shane back then only out him on a 1 year deal. he will either sign a pre contract with someone and go in the summer (best case) or he goes now for peanuts.

Pleased with the signing of Osalodor, definitely strengthens our forward line for the rest of the season.

I think everyone knew signing Sutherland again was going to be a stopgap after he'd fallen out of favour at Peterhead, he'll be coming up for 30 this year so don't see there being many full time clubs coming round in the future. Surprised that Caley Thistle aren't one of the clubs mentioned as having an interest, suspect they may be keeping their cards close to their chest after being burned last year. We shall see.

This was always going to be the case. I said at the time on here that I couldn't believe we paid money to take Shane back then only out him on a 1 year deal. he will either sign a pre contract with someone and go in the summer (best case) or he goes now for peanuts.
I agree that was madness from Elgin. I take it they were worried he would come back with the same stinking attitude as he had before. But the way things have turned out we will get next to nothing for him and as much as he has scored a lot of goals we aren't any better off than we are any other year.

Would not sign 2 year contract it was take him for a year or leave it. No player in demand is going to commit himself to 2 years and limit his options. Elgin has always been his stepping stone.

For what it’s worth he’s a good player at our level but nowhere good enough for a full time team.

Would not sign 2 year contract it was take him for a year or leave it. No player in demand is going to commit himself to 2 years and limit his options. Elgin has always been his stepping stone.
For what it’s worth he’s a good player at our level but nowhere good enough for a full time team.
I heard the opposite from someone close to the player. He wanted a 2 year deal due to him being totally sick of the travelling and was wanting to settle at Elgin and commit longer term. His thought process will have obviously changed now with his strong start to the season and the rumoured interest from full time clubs.