Elgin City 2019/20

From a report on the game just received Elgin once again lived up to their soft centre reputation. Deservedly ahead at half time they were poor for the first 30 mins of the second half and Stenhousemuir should have equalised earlier. Elgin then had several golden opportunities in the last 15 mins to score and paid the penalty once again for failing toapply the killer touch.17 points after 13 games is poor and I do not think this team like all recent teams have the necessary resolve within their current playing ranks to make any progress up the leagues. Rant over !

Just spent the last couple of hours reading much of the Twitter traffic on Queen's  Park decision to go professional,which could be a game changer, not only for QP but also for other clubs.
Lots of opinions on the merits of the decision, many from people who I guess have not spent a freezing afternoon in a soulless Hampden Park with a crowd of 400 max, watching a game of football.
One aspect that came to me about the decision to go professional is that QP will be able to pick up on central based  players that up till now,have gone to other clubs such as Elgin because of the money. Given the agreement between QP and the SFA it would appear that they will not be strapped for cash  even after redevelopment of Lesser Hampden. 
Therefore,when a central based player makes a decision who to play for, the ability of QP to offer wages,training facilities such as Toryglen and the fact that they will not have to travel for training will surely be a factor when making the choice between clubs.
This could have an adverse on clubs such as Elgin who, over the years have depended on many players from Glasgow or surrounding area. QP are not going to recruit every player  and they do have a thriving youth development team but the fact is that players now have an alternative choice. Why would a player want to travel up the A9 to train at Aviemore when he can pop along the road and be home by 10pm and get paid for it.
Just a thought but it is something that will have to be considered when signing players in the future.  
Any thoughts ?

Fair comments. 11th Scottish cup due 2025. Touch base then.

We were really getting a grip of the game before Hester's goal and at 2-0 it looked like we'd stroll it. As soon as we conceded the penalty (I'll need to see the foul again, looked soft at the time) however we stopped playing and I was relieved we got in to half time at 2-1. The injury to Darryl didn't help us, McEwan is really coming onto a game but he's not a right back. It was made even more bemusing by the fact that Wilson and McDonald were listed as subs, but neither appeared to be in kit. Should have really finished them off or at least seen the game out, how many fucking late goals are we gonna concede. Need to win tomorrow to get back on track.

Elgin looking to be something of a conundrum at present. For all the talk of playing great football, the goal-scoring exploits of Shane, & the league table showing Elgin with the 4th best 'goals for' & 3rd best 'goals against', the team currently sits marooned six points outside the playoff spots, so the sum seemingly being less than it's constituent parts. Haven't been able to make it to a game in a while, so don't have my own thoughts to add to these observations, so wondering what others that are going to games are seeing & thinking?

9 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Elgin looking to be something of a conundrum at present. For all the talk of playing great football, the goal-scoring exploits of Shane, & the league table showing Elgin with the 4th best 'goals for' & 3rd best 'goals against', the team currently sits marooned six points outside the playoff spots, so the sum seemingly being less than it's constituent parts. Haven't been able to make it to a game in a while, so don't have my own thoughts to add to these observations, so wondering what others that are going to games are seeing & thinking?

need to see out games better and forget about entertaining at times 

I think performance wise we have been decent enough the majority of times. I don’t think the bounce of the ball has really gone our way most of the season, hopefully that will change. As has been said we don’t seem to have the ability to see out games, whether that is defending too deep or going all out attack when we should be defending. We have lost some real soft goals of late which is an ongoing achilles but it’s easy to blame defence, as I have done in the past but recently forward players have missed several gilt edged chances to kill games off as well. We have drawn too many games which is a killer. We are still in touch with play off places but need to go on a wee run, starting with the next two home games which won’t be easy, lose them and we could be well in the relegation mire!

I'm struggling to remember seeing a worse half of football than that first half on Saturday. it was shocking. Second half, came flying out the traps and scored a really well worked goal to go 2-1 up. After that just fell out of the game again.  I thought Shane showed some touches of class, all be it deeper on the pitch than you would want to see him.  Also thought the left back spark had a decent game. Admittedly I haven't saw as much games as I would like this season and that was maybe just a bad day at the office but based on that its the relegation play off we should be worried about and not the promotion one!!

• 2 weeks later...