Elgin City 2019/20

8 hours ago, Dandy Lion said:

The evidence is that we get no where near promotion..

We lost the league a few years ago by three points to East Fife, who beat us at home in the run-in which was our only home league defeat. We'd have won the league that season had Darryl not got tagged and Duff played instead.

We’ve got into play offs several times so there is no evidence to say the board don’t want promotion. You could argue that if we had invested a bit more in January in these seasons there may have been a different outcome but no guarantee and might not have been fiscally prudent. As for crowds we certainly have a good fan base but pretty certain if we were bottom of first division we would be down to the hardcore 500 and at present we need 600 to break even so I would say they are legitimate concerns.

Any how that’s for another day we need to get ourselves into the promotion position first.

We’ve got into play offs several times so there is no evidence to say the board don’t want promotion. You could argue that if we had invested a bit more in January in these seasons there may have been a different outcome but no guarantee and might not have been fiscally prudent. As for crowds we certainly have a good fan base but pretty certain if we were bottom of first division we would be down to the hardcore 500 and at present we need 600 to break even so I would say they are legitimate concerns.
Any how that’s for another day we need to get ourselves into the promotion position first.

Of course they would be delighted with promotion- they are supporters also. I know they care about the club (hence their concerns) and do a great job- some of the board deserve promotion more so than anyone else.

All I am saying is, finishing 4th as a minimum should be the expectation/target...not merely staying up. Finishing 4th in a league of 10 is hardly punching above our weight given the size of our fanbase and settling for less/starting a season aiming for less is loser’s mentality and no one can convince me otherwise. Don’t want to merely exist in league 2 forever with the odd playoff finish...I’d take competing at the top of HL over that!

Anyway, pleased with how this season is going and they way we are playing just now...onwards and upwards (hopefully) [emoji106] big game tomorrow!

Just spent the last couple of hours reading much of the Twitter traffic on Queen's  Park decision to go professional,which could be a game changer, not only for QP but also for other clubs.

Lots of opinions on the merits of the decision, many from people who I guess have not spent a freezing afternoon in a soulless Hampden Park with a crowd of 400 max, watching a game of football.

One aspect that came to me about the decision to go professional is that QP will be able to pick up on central based  players that up till now,have gone to other clubs such as Elgin because of the money. Given the agreement between QP and the SFA it would appear that they will not be strapped for cash  even after redevelopment of Lesser Hampden. 

Therefore,when a central based player makes a decision who to play for, the ability of QP to offer wages,training facilities such as Toryglen and the fact that they will not have to travel for training will surely be a factor when making the choice between clubs.

This could have an adverse on clubs such as Elgin who, over the years have depended on many players from Glasgow or surrounding area. QP are not going to recruit every player  and they do have a thriving youth development team but the fact is that players now have an alternative choice. Why would a player want to travel up the A9 to train at Aviemore when he can pop along the road and be home by 10pm and get paid for it.

Just a thought but it is something that will have to be considered when signing players in the future.  

Any thoughts ?

It’s a valid point undoubtedly but if they have wads of cash don’t think they will be looking to recruit many of the players we can recruit. They traditionally use the strong junior game around them for recruitment so it they are not going to use that there will be players there.
It will make them a stronger opponent IF things go as they plan. Don’t think they will get a good deal from SFA and depends how much the spend on lesser Hampden. They have got a transfer kitty from Haughey to get them started though.

10 hours ago, Football7 said:

After watching that, another good performance, I thought it could've gone either way. Stonewall penalty in the first half for Elgin that wasn't given and another couple of clear cut chances that on another day would've went in. 

Every time I watch Elgin I’m impressed. Some quality players that could easily play in league 1 or championship and strive.

Shane is outstanding - physically strong, deadly in front of goal and links well with midfield. Best player in league 2? Can’t be far off it.

I know a few Elgin guys on here will disagree but I think Hester is fantastic. He reminds me of a young Craig Bellamy. Great finisher and pacey.

Both of the above I would take at Cove in a heartbeat.

Omar looks a “tasty” player (to quote Stuart Cosgrove).

Also like Brian Cameron. Looks good on the ball.

Agreed on the penalty and for the latter part of the second half you looked the better team. Should have been 2-2 at half time.

Omar was extremely unlucky to get a red. Was harsh and I think Raith had a similar tackle in the first half that went without a yellow.

Represented League 2 well last night lads. I reckon you’ll overtake Cowden in third spot fairly quickly.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Was really happy with the way we played last night.

Never got the rub of the green from the ref, but I thought some of the football we played against a good team was very impressive.

Scored 2 good goals and created a few more chances. And as for Shane Sutherland in that deeper role, I thought he was outstanding. Completely controlled the game for 30 minutes until the red card.

Really looking forward to Alloa at BB next Saturday and the rest of the season.

24 minutes ago, Super Elgin City said:

Was really happy with the way we played last night.

Never got the rub of the green from the ref, but I thought some of the football we played against a good team was very impressive.

Scored 2 good goals and created a few more chances. And as for Shane Sutherland in that deeper role, I thought he was outstanding. Completely controlled the game for 30 minutes until the red card.

Really looking forward to Alloa at BB next Saturday and the rest of the season.

Couldn’t agree more. Showed loads of character to come back into the game strongly from 2-0 down fairly early on. Also Elgin passed it around with composure which is great to see.

I wish we were still in some cup, any cup! Nice to get those games at higher league clubs to prove the difference in standard is minimal. Beat Airdrie & got through against Dundee so far this season in cup games. I fully expect Elgin to give Alloa a competitive game and even get the win. I might come up to BB to watch it myself.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Watched the highlights just now, and it confirmed what the match reports and updates suggested. Nice team you got, and I’m a little surprised at your position on the table. Seems you have all the elements to be at least second behind Cove, as long as a couple of those forwards don’t get poached.

We definitely kept the game closer with missed chances, but your finishing on the first goal was beautiful. Continuing to fight after going down A player was impressive, and almost paid off for you.  The challenge, IDK, need a better view, but it was at least a strong yellow for the view we have...the penalty shout, yea, it looked like one. Good luck on the season.

Raith highlights link: http://www.raith.tv/video.php

I recently acquired a programme for the 1962 Navy Cup Final held at Borough Briggs on Wednesday 5th December 1962.

RNAS Lossiemouth v RNAS Culdrose... long trip from Cornwall for them!

Referee and orange lineman came from the accommodation ship HMS Duncansby Head - the cerise (!) linesman from the Rosyth training base aka HMS Caledonia.

Anyone have details of the game? Who won? Crowd?

Were there other forces matches at Borough Briggs?