Elgin City 2019/20

Agree with enclosureview re Darryl's useful goal tally, but can only see him coming back in if it's as part of a back-three, as he won't displace McDonald at left centre back. Him, McDonald & Bronsky in a back-three could be an option though, with Spark at left wing-back & Mackay on the right side, as he works back hard aswell as going forward with pace & energy, & of course has quality on the ball. Would then enable playing all of Dingwall, Cameron & Omar centrally, which should give added goal threat from midfield, & Shane + 1 - yes, why not try Aitken as presumably he was brought to the club with the view that he'd score goals - up top.

1 hour ago, Highland ITFC said:

Agree with enclosureview re Darryl's useful goal tally, but can only see him coming back in if it's as part of a back-three, as he won't displace McDonald at left centre back. Him, McDonald & Bronsky in a back-three could be an option though, with Spark at left wing-back & Mackay on the right side, as he works back hard aswell as going forward with pace & energy, & of course has quality on the ball. Would then enable playing all of Dingwall, Cameron & Omar centrally, which should give added goal threat from midfield, & Shane + 1 - yes, why not try Aitken as presumably he was brought to the club with the view that he'd score goals - up top.

That's a decent idea, think it gets our best team on the pitch. 5/3 at the back didn't really work last year, but with different players certainly worth a go.

9 minutes ago, gordon9736 said:

All teams go through a bad spell during the season and this is ours. I'd rather see it now than towards the business end of the season when we will be in the running for the play-offs.

Good to be confident Gordon. Hope it proves to be well placed. A kickstart to the season this coming Saturday would be very welcome.

I totally agree with the 3-5-2 idea. I think when Darryl is back we have the perfect set of players for that. As said above we need to get Dingwall, Soapy and Omar all central. Great balance in the team. The only problem I would have is the wing backs. Spark is more defensive minded and I think Price would play Cooper as right wing back. Even though he has been played a good bit as a right midfielder this season I believe he is also pretty limited going on the offensive. Well worth a run at it though.

Let's be honest, for all Darryl's qualities as a strong ball-playing centre back & talismanic leader that has he ability to influence a game, he's not a fullback or a midfielder - he played left midfield in the BetFred game at Arbroath & could see he wasn't comfortable there, & neither does he have the skillset to play there - or a striker. He's not as good a centre back as McDonald, & if played in front of the back four (as somebody suggested) isn't as good as Dingwall, so suspect that Gavin either has to play him in his best position, or not at all. McDonald seems o be out injured a fair bit, so every chance that Darryl will get opportunities in a back four alongside Bronsky, but would still stand by the thought of a back three that would enable him to come back into the side in 'his' position, & the side would accordingly benefit from his undoubted qualities.

Let's be honest, for all Darryl's qualities as a strong ball-playing centre back & talismanic leader that has he ability to influence a game, he's not a fullback or a midfielder - he played left midfield in the BetFred game at Arbroath & could see he wasn't comfortable there, & neither does he have the skillset to play there - or a striker. He's not as good a centre back as McDonald, & if played in front of the back four (as somebody suggested) isn't as good as Dingwall, so suspect that Gavin either has to play him in his best position, or not at all. McDonald seems o be out injured a fair bit, so every chance that Darryl will get opportunities in a back four alongside Bronsky, but would still stand by the thought of a back three that would enable him to come back into the side in 'his' position, & the side would accordingly benefit from his undoubted qualities.

I totally agree with that. I really like Darryl's fighting qualities and think he does improve the team when he is in it. But is he the best at any position on the park and impossible to leave out when he comes back? I don't think he is. For me 3rd choice behind Bronsky and McDonald at Centre back. Not quick enough to be a wide player, behind Dingwall, Soapy, Omar and McEwan in midfield and never a striker. Left side of 3 at the back for me for him. As said above though McDonald does seem to be injured a lot so he could well end up getting a lot of gametime next to Bronsky in a back 4. His goal threat at set pieces has been badly missed in his absence.

On a slightly different note, why has the club's website photos not been updated? We're still showing last year's team photo as well as goal celebrations not only from last season but the season before (Allan and Reilly).  There are only pen pics of  the management and about six players.

Club is very poor on that front. Do very little on the website or social media to engage with the fans & keep them engaged. Look at how many clubs these days give ongoing Twitter 'commentary' during games, do all sorts of features on players etc on social media, & have loads of content on their websites. Some great examples locally are Huntly & Nairn who both do an excellent job. Did hear during the summer that there was meant to be a new website ready for the start of the season, which would explain not updating the old on, but nothing has transpired, so just left looking half-cocked instead. Disappointing for anybody that's interested in the club, & won't help to gain further support &/or sponsors.

Think Darryl is a central player only, not enough pace to play out wide. He is a decent enough centre half but would be happy to see him tried as a holding midfielder. He's composed and competent on the ball, aggressive in defensive and has a great work-rate so on paper suits it well. Not sure if he is better than Dingwall but worth trying especially as he offers a goal threat. A fairly effective emergency striker if needed too

Edited by afca32

Me and my mate sat in the elgin end at the dundee game. Thought the goalkeeper and 2 forwards were good but apart from that, the rest of the team looked average for league 2 although they went on to win that game. The foreign guy out wide gave the midfield a bit energy but couldny see him stringing much chances together for the team. 2 guys in midfield looked okay but missing a playmaker, sutherland was dropping into the holes trying to do that job. Still quite surprised to see you guys so far down the league already, after beating cowden and unlucky not to beat edinburgh I thought you'd be where cowden are just now. All the best for the season!

Club is very poor on that front. Do very little on the website or social media to engage with the fans & keep them engaged. Look at how many clubs these days give ongoing Twitter 'commentary' during games, do all sorts of features on players etc on social media, & have loads of content on their websites. Some great examples locally are Huntly & Nairn who both do an excellent job. Did hear during the summer that there was meant to be a new website ready for the start of the season, which would explain not updating the old on, but nothing has transpired, so just left looking half-cocked instead. Disappointing for anybody that's interested in the club, & won't help to gain further support &/or sponsors.
The in game updates only really happen when Shane scores. No co-insidence I don't think that his girlfriend is in control of the official social media pages.
I don't think she is actually at the games, that is probably the reason for the lack of updates.
Surely somebody who does attend could take over that duties on match days though?
It is a big thing for people who now live away from Elgin or are away on holiday etc and can't be at the game.

15 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

You volunteering? That’s what they need. Last media girl off to Rangers.

Volunteer?! It's a commercial organisation with paying customers, & any such business will / should have a marketing function to inform & retain current customers, & to attract new ones. I wouldn't be expecting anybody to volunteer to maintain my business' website & social media. If the prior expertise in this area has left the club, then they need to recruit somebody new in her place.