Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir

Wonder if Roberts will go with the same eleven as last week or will he be tempted to start Agyeman, perhaps in place of Purdue. Didn't think I would be saying that after Purdue's impressive League Cup performances but the Stirling game passed him by. Then again the ball was going over his head a lot of the game, he really needs the ball to his feet. Maybe he'll see more of it at Hampden, he has the potential to be a top player for us this season   

40 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I was in two minds about going to this tomorrow but just seen that it's £15. Is that standard at this level?

We were £14 when we were in this diddy league. Can't really remember how the other teams compare, think Edinburgh and Annan were both £12.

Edited by C. Muir

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I was in two minds about going to this tomorrow but just seen that it's £15. Is that standard at this level?

£15 and it will make your eyes bleed hard. I would going nowhere near it if I was a neutral.

I'll decide tomorrow if I'm going but chance are it's a naw.

5 minutes ago, Neilly said:

£15 and it will make your eyes bleed hard. I would going nowhere near it if I was a neutral.

I'll decide tomorrow if I'm going but chance are it's a naw.

£6 for Pollok vs Troon makes much more sense tbh

Hopefully another strong performance for Queens. Always interesting sizing up whoever comes down from League 1.

Only change I’d make from last week is Purdue out for Alfredo. Trying not to be blinded by his class goal against Airdrie. Purdue has skill but he looked the weakest link against Stirling. He didn’t fight much on Tuesday either. Not writing him off but Alfredo deserves a start.

QP 2-0 win.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

No. Can't speak for the 3 new teams in the league but along with ourselves, QP were the dearest in the league last season from memory. Think it was only £14 last season though. 

Even ignoring the usual moans about being too far away from the pitch at Hampden, it's a really poor experience. Extortionate food prices (although I suspect the catering isn't provided by QP) and the stewards are a bit overzealous. They always seemed to struggle with the slightly larger crowds when we played there. 

No. Can't speak for the 3 new teams in the league but along with ourselves, QP were the dearest in the league last season from memory. Think it was only £14 last season though. 
Even ignoring the usual moans about being too far away from the pitch at Hampden, it's a really poor experience. Extortionate food prices (although I suspect the catering isn't provided by QP) and the stewards are a bit overzealous. They always seemed to struggle with the slightly larger crowds when we played there. 

Agreed with this Scott, hope is that a lot of this will change after the move.

When 1-0 up, I'd expect us to do exactly the same as Stenny did in terms of time wasting. The sensible thing to do. However, it's extremely pleasing, when you're on the other end of it, when the time wasted results in a 96th minute equaliser. 

We were good first half and should have been ahead. Caused them problems down the side, but we either weren't clinical enough with the finish or chose the wrong option. 

Second half wasn't great and we were clearly rattled by losing such a poor goal. We looked like we'd run out of ideas, but kept plugging away. Despite not being at our best, a point was the least we deserved. Would have been really tough to take if Stenny had left with the three points on the balance of the game. 

While it wasn't vintage, we dug something out when we didn't look like getting anything. We scrapped for three points last week as well. That's a very encouraging characteristic that I hope we can continue with, as well as improving performances.

Would of been gutted had we lost that game, thought we played some really nice stuff but our decision making was poor. Silly goal to lose but it’s encouraging that we’ve limited Stirling and Stenny to very few chances over the first couple of games. Delighted to see Salim get another goal under his belt, he’s a pest up top and I’d imagine he’ll score quite a few over the season. Man of the match was once again Nicky Jamieson, strolled it at the back and his distribution and aggression is something we’ve lacked so much in recent years. Thought Joffrey, Mortimer and Galt all had really good games also

Well It is always sore to lose a late one but it was the least Queens Park deserved. They had several chances and Smith done really well in the goal, was rash for the pen thou.

We are really poor. Very few pass marks, scullion worked tirelessly. Marky Munro had his best game so far and Scott McLaughlin was pretty solid. Very slim pickings thou.

Much needed improvements. The squad assembled is mediocre and it is showing & Colin McM needs to take ownership of that.

A couple of minutes before penalty, I joked with my mates that this would have been one of the biggest smash-n-grabs I'd ever seen. Queen's Park should have won the game by about three or four goals - only bad finishing, good goalkeeping and outrageous luck kept them at bay. Stenhousemuir offered very little, scoring with their only shot on target of the afternoon and looked no better than they did against Albion Rovers last weekend.

The defence was ropey, with Andy Munro almost gifting a goal about 10 minutes into the match, the midfield offered them little protection and Mark McGuigan (or Mark McGlashan as he was somehow billed by the stadium announcer) barely touched the ball. Come to think of it, he could have been sent off for his tackle towards the end of the first half, it looked as though he jumped in on the boy. Only Marky Munro, who did well in the middle and on the right, David Marsh and maybe Scott McLaughlin can be satisfied with their performances. Graeme Smith had been very good but he conceded the decisive penalty at the death and although David Hopkirk scored, he drifted out the match for long spells.

I liked the look of Queen's Park. Ciaran Summers has got a superb delivery on him - I don't remember him chucking in crosses like that when he was at Ochilview - Joffrey Lidhoren looks a real find and Salim Kouider-Aissa has bulked up since I last saw him and grafted away up front. They could be a decent shout for the top four this year.

As for Stenhousemuir, we can't keep playing like this. We need someone in there with the discipline to screen in front of the back four because any time teams hit us on the break, we look vulnerable. Andy Munro needs to give himself a shake and stick to clearing his lines because his overplaying is costing us. I'd also be tempted to bring in Kieran Anderson from the start to see if he can offer us something different up front. We're playing at Elgin City next weekend and the prospect is filling me with trepidation.

One final remark - I wasn't impressed with being patted down by security staff before I entered the ground. It's such a turn off and would actively discourage me from returning to Hampden to watch Queen's Park. Absolutely no need.

Glad I never bothered from the people that were there it sounds like the same garbage as last week.

We aren't by magic going to turn this round by the way. The squad is so poor whoever comes in off the bench is not going to change much in terms of quality of how we play.

It's a shocking squad that's been put together.

I hate being critical of the players, as they are playing not us, but today was poor overall. Straight from the off, you could tell QP wanted it more, thankfully for us, they didn't have the finishing touch otherwise we would have been a good few down at half time. 

We came out a bit stronger for the second half and got the early goal after a mistake at the back from one of their defenders, which allowed Scullion to play the ball into Hopkirk to score. Apart from that, I don't really recall us threatening the goal, but at the same time Queen's Park didn't threaten us much either, only recall the one chance which Buzz excellent saved.

McIlDuff's injury cost us in the end. When he came back on, after being treated, he was limping heavily and struggling to run. It looked like Cook told him to swap positions so he could get back and defend. The failure to get him off quickly, instead of wasting time, cost us. If we didn't waste time, would they have got the penalty, probably not.

I thought we were going to see the last few minutes out comfortably, but Buzz gave a penalty away in the 3rd minute of injury time. Having watched the footage back a few times, the ball was knocked past Smith before he threw himself at the Queen's man. Looked to me like it should have been a red but with a few defenders behind, I can see why the ref didn't send him off. Wasn't even a yellow either.

We need to improve ahead of Tuesday's game with Edinburgh. Most likely give a few fringe players a chance before playing a full squad against Elgin next week. 

Highlights and interview with David Hopkirk will be out at some point tomorrow. 

I hate being critical of the players, as they are playing not us, but today was poor overall. Straight from the off, you could tell QP wanted it more, thankfully for us, they didn't have the finishing touch otherwise we would have been a good few down at half time. 

We came out a bit stronger for the second half and got the early goal after a mistake at the back from one of their defenders, which allowed Scullion to play the ball into Hopkirk to score. Apart from that, I don't really recall us threatening the goal, but at the same time Queen's Park didn't threaten us much either, only recall the one chance which Buzz excellent saved.

McIlDuff's injury cost us in the end. When he came back on, after being treated, he was limping heavily and struggling to run. It looked like Cook told him to swap positions so he could get back and defend. The failure to get him off quickly, instead of wasting time, cost us. If we didn't waste time, would they have got the penalty, probably not.

I thought we were going to see the last few minutes out comfortably, but Buzz gave a penalty away in the 3rd minute of injury time. Having watched the footage back a few times, the ball was knocked past Smith before he threw himself at the Queen's man. Looked to me like it should have been a red but with a few defenders behind, I can see why the ref didn't send him off. Wasn't even a yellow either.

We need to improve ahead of Tuesday's game with Edinburgh. Most likely give a few fringe players a chance before playing a full squad against Elgin next week. 

Highlights and interview with David Hopkirk will be out at some point tomorrow. 

What are you actually talking about. Mcilduff was off the park for a few mins before the equaliser. That had nothing to do with anything. Also Queens Park didn't threaten?? Did you actually record the game. Buzz had 2 one on one saves in the first half. We had to clear 2 off the line, 1 in each half & Smith also made a wonder save second half.