Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir

This is a match I always look forward to. Queen's Park is one of my favourite away days in the SPFL calendar and I'm heading to Hampden more in hope than expectation that the mighty Stenhousemuir FC will pick up the victory. Even although we probably deserved a point from last weekend's meeting with Albion Rovers, we were second best throughout, barring two 15-minute spells of dominance in either half.

There were a number of issues that cost us the match, most notably mistakes at the back, but the lack of grit or shape in the middle of the park is a concern. As I mentioned in last week's match thread, the duo of Dylan Dykes and Jamie McKernon are handy enough on the ball (when they're not taking too long to find a pass) but lacklustre without it and the Rovers took full advantage of the swathes of space because of their unwillingness or inability to protect the back four. This can't happen again and I'd look to change up the personnel for this encounter with the Spiders. I can't say I know too much about them, with the exception of one or two familiar names, but they'll be looking to build on their win at Stirling Albion. If Stenhousemuir want to finish in the top four, these are the games we have to come out on top of.

I'd go with:

- Mark McGuigan -

- David Hopkirk -

- Alan Cook - Marky Munro - Dylan Dykes - Liam Scullion -

- Aidan McIlduff - Andy Munro - David Marsh - Scott McLaughlin -

- Graeme Smith-

I'd have Marky Munro in a disciplined role in front of the back four, allowing Dykes to push on a bit and work with Hopkirk behind McGuigan. McIlduff hasn't looked too clever in the games I've seen him in but I don't think we've got the bodies to start shuffling things around in defence.

The heart says we'll win this one but it could well be a low-scoring draw.

Another 90 minutes of blootering the ball to McGuigan's neck and losing second balls. Yay.

Queen's Park look like dark horses to me this season. A vibrant young side who will run all over the top of us.

I would get Mcilduff out the team pronto, he's just not good enough. Marky Munro left back or mclaughlin if O'Neil is fit.

I would also get Kieran Gibbons in. We really lacked a CM with grit and dogged ness and he gives that.

Another tough game. Let's get at least a point on the board.

Not quite getting the McIlduff angst.

I would play Gibbons or Munro instead of McKernon, who I thought was quite disappointing on Saturday; why did he go down the tunnel when he was subbed? If O'Neill is available I guess he may come into the team instead of McLaughlin.

Other than that, the team picks itself, which is probably more of a worry than anything else.

Rest absolutely everyone for this nonsense game, tonight. I'm serious. Eleven changes. Losing an important player in a kick about against a youth team would be ridiculous. 

I expect Stenny to be better than Stirling, despite the result. A team with McGuigan is a team that will always carry a goal threat. 

Great result for us at Forthbank, but no room for getting carried away. This is still a very inexperienced squad with a lot of learning to do. Would be great to start off with two wins, but we should be under no illusions that this will be an extremely tough game. 

Rest absolutely everyone for this nonsense game, tonight. I'm serious. Eleven changes. Losing an important player in a kick about against a youth team would be ridiculous. 

Judging by Mark's body language on his post-match interview you might get your wish. For me it's a chance to mug an SPL team and dream of a revenge tie against Connah's Quay further down the road. Away of course.

Not quite getting the McIlduff angst.
I would play Gibbons or Munro instead of McKernon, who I thought was quite disappointing on Saturday; why did he go down the tunnel when he was subbed? If O'Neill is available I guess he may come into the team instead of McLaughlin.
Other than that, the team picks itself, which is probably more of a worry than anything else.
Not quite getting the Mcilduff angst?

Deary me.

17 hours ago, an86 said:

I expect Stenny to be better than Stirling, despite the result. A team with McGuigan is a team that will always carry a goal threat. 

Great result for us at Forthbank, but no room for getting carried away. This is still a very inexperienced squad with a lot of learning to do. Would be great to start off with two wins, but we should be under no illusions that this will be an extremely tough game. 

You must be gutted that there were only 9. 

I will be interesting to see the pitch on Saturday. We were booted out so they could reseed it. The weather on Friday and Saturday is going to be horrendous. We are then going to play on it. You wonder what the point is as it could be in a hell of a state come the Scotland games.

The sooner we get to Lesser the better!

4 hours ago, The man with no name said:

You wonder what the point is as it could be in a hell of a state come the Scotland games.

That will surely be a benefit to Scotland when playing superior football teams