St Mirren vs Aberdeen, 15:00 11/08

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The penalty kick claim is a strange one. Flynn seems to have both arms out wide then brings his left one in to his body as the ball is struck towards him.

If he’d kept his arm out wide then the ball probably wouldn’t have struck it. But if it had, then it would have been a penalty as he’d have used his arms to be unnaturally large.

But as his arm was right into his body then it shouldn’t be a penalty unless you argue that he brought his arm in in order to deliberately handle the ball.

For me, it’s a split second natural reaction to bring your arm in in order to avoid the ball striking it. Therefore it’s not deliberate handball and his arms are not making him unnaturally big.

So, for me, correct decision and no penalty.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

A sizeable chunk of the Aberdeen “travelling support” when they play in the West of Scotland actually live down here.

So no need to give them too much praise for travelling all that distance, bad weather, Sevco at home, etc.

Nice, balanced review there laddie.

20 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The penalty kick claim is a strange one. Flynn seems to have both arms out wide then brings his left one in to his body as the ball is struck towards him.

If he’d kept his arm out wide then the ball probably wouldn’t have struck it. But if it had, then it would have been a penalty as he’d have used his arms to be unnaturally large.

But as his arm was right into his body then it shouldn’t be a penalty unless you argue that he brought his arm in in order to deliberately handle the ball.

For me, it’s a split second natural reaction to bring your arm in in order to avoid the ball striking it. Therefore it’s not deliberate handball and his arms are not making him unnaturally big.

So, for me, correct decision and no penalty.

yer right , never a pen.

11 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

yer right , never a pen.

Was surprised the penalty wasn't given tbh. There was a similar(ish) one that wasn't given for Celtic just after they'd gone 4-1 up v Motherwell (it's in the highlights). Hopefully plenty of these incidents happen, just to see the consistency(which I doubt there will be)

It was a penalty- sometimes you get lucky every now and then- we lost a penalty in the playoff against Dundee United which probably was more contentious under the old rules.

That said a still image from that angle it's difficult to know when it touched Flynn's arm. 

When the ball makes contact Flynn's arms do not make his "silhouette unnaturally bigger". But he's back into a natural silhouette only just in time. Before that he's stuck his arm out (instinctively? intentionally?) so may have been a pen by last season's rule.

I take "natural silhouette" does not mean arms touching side of torso or tucked behind players back. In this instance, facing the ball, legs slightly apart, the natural position would be with arms pointing down, slightly out from the body. 

But, as a St Mirren fan, I'd be raging if it were the other way about. Having considered it I think the ref is right, but only because he didn't see it properly and didn't want to make a decision. And the linesman shat it.

36 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

yer right , never a pen.

That picture is as useful as the one shown earlier.

Neither proves nor disproves that it was a penalty.

All it shows is the ball travelling towards a player with his arm out.

In the next picture frame his arm is behind his back, 

Edited by FTOF

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Both arms out in matching positions. What's he blocking with his right arm? Seems "natural" to me. Plus the ball hasn't yet hit him in that freeze frame. 

Edited by leapinghalibut
typo

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That picture is as useful as the one shown earlier.

Neither proves nor disproves that it was a penalty.

In the next picture frame his arm is behind his back, 

10 minutes ago, leapinghalibut said:

Both arms out in matching positions. What's he clocking with his right arm? Seems "natural" to me. Plus the ball hasn't yet hit him in that freeze frame. 

You should have scored maybe 4  and deservedly won, but It never ceases to amaze how  dumb people get when it involves a team they support.

Moving pictures  :

Edited by TommyDickFingers
dick fingers

Guest Bob Mahelp

Arguing about whether this is a penalty or not is the world's biggest waste of time. Under any reasonable application of the laws, it should have been given, but it wasn't for whatever reason....so time to move on to the next game.

As a general aside, I'm not sure what has happened to Steven McLean as a referee these days. Up until about a year ago he was reasonably OK...not always great, but generally consistent in his inconsistency, which often is as much as you can ask for in a Scottish referee.

Then he just seemed to fall off the plank, and I get the feeling these days that he's not even all that interested. He seemed to drift through yesterday's game like a fart in a trance, ignoring challenges....such as the daft one on Vyner in the first half which was so obvious it was laughable.... because it looked like he was working out what he was having for his tea that night or whatever.

And the next time we'll get him, he'll be an officious, over-bearing wee pr1ck....ruining the game by blowing up for every nudge or touch. 

Maybe he should just retire. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Maybe we are finally getting some decisions going our way for change. It's been a long time coming. 

Nope, it's not that. 

Without wanting to go full Michael Stewart, I don't want that incident to be a penalty, for me he's trying to get out the way. However, the rules as they are I think it's definitely a penalty.

But it's a moot point, St Mirren won that game, it wasn't a smash and grab or a fluke, we lost that over 90 minutes and that should be a bigger concern from our perspective.

The decision was wrong but how many times have we been on the wrong end of bad decisions? We can all see it was a penalty but the ref didn't give it. No point in debating this as it's not going to change the result. Aberdeen were not good enough to score in 90 minutes simple. 

38 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Once the ball had bounced off it.

Of course it did, because the ball hit his arm.

I don't think anyone is denying that.

It's the position that his arm was in when the ball hit it that some people are debating.

That picture doesn't show the ball hitting his arm.

27 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

You should have scored maybe 4  and deservedly won, but It never ceases to amaze how  dumb people get when it involves a team they support.

Moving pictures  :

Quite.

Maybe you should try reading my post properly.

27 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

It never ceases to amaze how  dumb people get when it involves a team they support.

or indeed how rude people can be when they feel hard done by. I've watched the moving pictures and it all happens fast. I see the ball striking the arm when the player has a natural silhouette. You see something else. The new rule is going to cause a lot of debate, I'm just trying to figure it out.