St Mirren vs Aberdeen, 15:00 11/08

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

The main reason Aberdeen lost according to Willie Miller was because they played in Europe during the week. This theory is confirmed by the poor weekend results of the other Scottish teams in Europe during the week...

Happened to us last season, having a larger squad seems to be making a difference this season

11 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I really really rate him, defensively. There was a slide tackle in the first half which was top class. Inside the box, and he ended up sliding right into the advertising hoardings. His pace is decent for his size and he’s so so strong in the air. His reading of the game is getting better, and he’s still v young for a centre half.

When he leaves Aberdeen (end of this season would probably be best for both parties) I’ve got no doubt he’ll go on to have a terrific career. In a Scotland shirt he’s been held back by playing under McLeish for the majority of his caps. McGinn, McGregor, Armstrong, Robertson, etc, all looked shite in that Scotland team so I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on that.

That's a fair point. As a Scotland fan I hope he excels. 

IMG-20190811-WA0007.jpg

Disappointing all round today.

A combination of euro hangover, sub standard squad players coming in and coming up against a well drilled, motivated and aggressive side made it a comfortable afternoon for saints in reality.

Second half was an improvement but in all honesty I never felt we were going to score. A lot of criticism for main but when the players there to provide for him haven’t turned up at all it’s always a difficult afternoon for him. I’ll give McLennan the benefit of the doubt of not being fully fit but Wright is doing nothing to change my mind that he’s not up to it.

We move on, it’s a bad performance and a bad day but it happens. I’m sure the inevitable meltdown is occurring online in any case.

Well done the paisley saints.

5 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Looking at the highlights makes it clear we should have had the game dead and buried before Aberdeen woke up. Numerous good chances headers from Durmas and Andreu should be goals.

Penalty shout is a big one to be fair but sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. 

Would you mean like blue c***s getting FOUR spot kicks three of which was proved wrong. 

To be honest not read many Aberdeen fans write much regarding a spot kick. They are fans who expect more they would be expecting three points. After our Hibs game I seen something in our play not seen since the 80's. Goodwin is going to be ace. If true how long can we keep him , we have to simple as if we want to go forward. Aye I'm jumping the gun but we have to get thins right. 

Edit lol yes me and my mate are having a wee dram

Edited by Demented Zebra

Not a great game of football but a great result all the same. I didn't expect any points in August so we're 3 ahead of my target already.

For the second game in a row Ilkey Durmas impressed and I thought Andreau and Foley played well too. 

He is all action, strong, decent in the air, extremely competitive and nowhere near as good as he's made out to be.

Dons, what is the honest opinion on McKenna?
I go to all the Scotland games and he has been a big lump of wood, then against saints he hasnt looked much better. Am I being unfair? Is he actually really good? 

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I actually didn’t think Aberdeen were that bad, but lacked any cutting edge, and ended up having lots of the ball, but no-one creative enough on the day to carve open chances. Lots of effort from the Dons, but without that creativity, ended up playing shitloads of passes across the park without hurting us. If I were an Aberdeen fan, I’d at least be encouraged by the fact that no-one hid, the effort was there. 

In amongst the (understandable) over-excitement from some Saints fans, and the (also understandable) negative over-reaction from some Dons fans, this post at least is a bit of sanity. 

While Saints deserved their win, it was one of these games where, if Aberdeen had grabbed an equaliser, nobody would have said that they didn't deserve a point. 

We were really poor for 30 minutes, then finally got on top of things territory and possession-wise, without really creating clear cut chances. 

Whereas we weren't great, I've seen us play a lot worse. We simply didn't have the cutting edge needed against an organised St Mirren team. It's football, these things happen. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, BIG BEN said:

He is all action, strong, decent in the air, extremely competitive and nowhere near as good as he's made out to be.

You do realise that he's only 22 and still learning the game ?

Almost every good central defender that there's ever been matured in the late 20's.  True greats like Beckenbauer or McNeil are the exception rather than the rule. 

The phrase 'not as good as he's made out to be', is typical jealous Scottish football garbage. Nobody says that he is or is going to be Willie Miller or Alex McLeish, but the reason why he's valued so highly by Aberdeen and other clubs is because of the undoubted potential he has. 

Personally I think he'd be better off leaving Scotland to get away from the f*cking idiots that are desperate to shoot down any decent young Scottish footballer, simply because he doesn't play for their club. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

In amongst the (understandable) over-excitement from some Saints fans, and the (also understandable) negative over-reaction from some Dons fans, this post at least is a bit of sanity. 

While Saints deserved their win, it was one of these games where, if Aberdeen had grabbed an equaliser, nobody would have said that they didn't deserve a point. 

We were really poor for 30 minutes, then finally got on top of things territory and possession-wise, without really creating clear cut chances. 

Whereas we weren't great, I've seen us play a lot worse. We simply didn't have the cutting edge needed against an organised St Mirren team. It's football, these things happen. 

I thought in the first half an hour we looked like we were trying to preserve energy, control possession and the pace of the game and pick and choose our moments to up intensity and hurt them (hence Considine and Mckenna exchanging constant passes).

This doesn't really work when a) the creative players you're relying on to up the intensity at certain moments just aren't up to it and b) the opposition are organised, aggressive and will break on you at pace every time they win the ball back. In the Premiership, particularly away from home you're simply unlikely to get away with going through the motions like we did. 

The overreaction is probably a lot to do with St Mirrens early season form which is clearly misleading, I don't see them being in much trouble this season.

As you say, it was a bad day, I've seen plenty of Aberdeen performances like that and will no doubt see plenty more no matter who the manager is.

Interesting to hear Dons fans complaining about endless sideways passing across the back, and then to hear Goodwin confirm our game plan was to let them do exactly that.

We're not going to see a lot of the ball this season - our success or otherwise is going to boil down to whether we can hurt teams when we do have it.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Interesting to hear Dons fans complaining about endless sideways passing across the back, and then to hear Goodwin confirm our game plan was to let them do exactly that.

We're not going to see a lot of the ball this season - our success or otherwise is going to boil down to whether we can hurt teams when we do have it.

Yup.

And you could see the signs yesterday that we are going to have the ability, as well as the desire to do that.

Andreu, Magennis, McAllister and Durmus all seem to have forward thinking mentality, and with Foley and Flynn providing some strength in the midfield, and potentially Obika improving on what he’s shown already, we could give most teams problems on the break.

I think, in awful conditions, we did also defend very well yesterday and that will make every single goal we do score much more valuable.

Shouldn’t get carried away with a narrow win over a weakened Aberdeen team who were in Croatia 3 days before this game, but this is night and day from where we were this time last year.

Being the centre-back next to Leigh at left-back will be a thankless task this season if he continues to offer the sort of defensive protection he has over the last couple of games.

That’s a very good point. He offered plenty going forward but there were times he was missing, and often when he was there he still didn’t manage to stop the player.

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Being the centre-back next to Leigh at left-back will be a thankless task this season if he continues to offer the sort of defensive protection he has over the last couple of games.

Indeed, he plays very advanced when we have the ball and he doesn't exactly sprint back when we're being broken on.

Not saying I wouldn’’t have been screaming for the penalty Dons had denied, but from last night’s footage (excuse crap quality) it really looked like Flynn was desperately trying to get his arm out of the way.

When the ball makes contact, his arm is almost behind his back.

I also don’t think that’s the reason the officials didn’t give it, but could be they weren’t quite as wrong as everyone thought they were.

E8136048-573F-43A6-97B0-AAF514E54733.jpeg