St Mirren vs Aberdeen, 15:00 11/08

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not having a go at McGinn - never would - but it's clear the difference a bit of mobility has made there. Flynn can cover ground for days but it's unfair to expect him to do the defensive work of two players. We've been without a really good player in that role for a very long time. DM is my favourite position in any team - it's the hipster's choice - and I'm so excited.

On a wider note, it shows that the 'English lower-league cast-off' route can be successful, if it's done properly, and doesn't provide the basis of your entire squad, instead just adding a smattering of genuine quality here and there.

Correct.

Whilst we are on the subject of English lower league cast offs, Wilfried Bony is available on a free transfer, is only 30 and is currently training with Newport County who couldn't match us for Sam Foley. ;) 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct.

Whilst we are on the subject of English lower league cast offs, Wilfried Bony is available on a free transfer, is only 30 and is currently training with Newport County who couldn't match us for Sam Foley. ;) 

I know nothing about what he's been doing for the past few years... but he's commanded a lifetime transfer fee total of £56m (it says here) - would be interesting as long as it didn't turn us into a circus.

The fact he's been binned by Swansea and is training at Newport suggests he might be settled in South Wales - unless he's just keeping sharp and not moving until a proper offer comes in.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I know nothing about what he's been doing for the past few years... but he's commanded a lifetime transfer fee total of £56m (it says here) - would be interesting as long as it didn't turn us into a circus.

The fact he's been binned by Swansea and is training at Newport suggests he might be settled in South Wales - unless he's just keeping sharp and not moving until a proper offer comes in.

To be honest, it was a joke. I don't think there will be a shortage of interest in a guy as young as he is and with his goal-scoring record. I'd imagine the player himself probably still feels he can command a better wage than most clubs are currently offering him and he's just keeping himself in shape.

He'd certainly be a good option for Celtic or Rangers but even then, I'd say possibly still out of even their financial reach.

21 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be honest, it was a joke. I don't think there will be a shortage of interest in a guy as young as he is and with his goal-scoring record. I'd imagine the player himself probably still feels he can command a better wage than most clubs are currently offering him and he's just keeping himself in shape.

He'd certainly be a good option for Celtic or Rangers but even then, I'd say possibly still out of even their financial reach.

Ha, fair enough - just thought I'd develop the idea a bit 😂

Doubt we can stretch to both him and Isma anyway. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not having a go at McGinn - never would - but it's clear the difference a bit of mobility has made there. Flynn can cover ground for days but it's unfair to expect him to do the defensive work of two players. We've been without a really good player in that role for a very long time. DM is my favourite position in any team - it's the hipster's choice - and I'm so excited.

On a wider note, it shows that the 'English lower-league cast-off' route can be successful, if it's done properly, and doesn't provide the basis of your entire squad, instead just adding a smattering of genuine quality here and there.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here because I haven't read this full conversation, but are you actually judging the 'success' of a signing based on one narrow win against an obviously off the boil Aberdeen side ? 😐

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong here because I haven't read this full conversation, but are you actually judging the 'success' of a signing based on one narrow win against an obviously off the boil Aberdeen side ? 😐

Nope, we’re judging the success of our new signings using the Kellerman, Heaton & King scale. Sounds like a law firm. Wish they’d chosen that as a career.

Edit: posted at the same time as Coventry Saint, who is on the same wavelength. If you had seen some of the shite Stubbs and Dodgy Darren were sadly allowed to bring in.... not saying our new signings are world beaters, but in two games, they’ve already contributed more than, well, insert the name of 99% of Stubbs’ signings here.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That and a narrow defeat to Hibs, but pretty much, yeah. Just to explain, the wider context is that Alan Stubbs went down that route and filled our squad with loanees and jobbers from south of the border, who never mustered even half a game that would match what Foley has already done for us. So disastrous was it that it led to people doubting that that approach could ever work.

So, yeah, I take your point that it might seem rash, but we've seen enough pure shite to know the difference.

I thought we'd done enough to snatch a draw but St Mirren defended superbly. They were in control of the game before they scored and we only really got a foothold after that.

I could scream til I'm blue in the face that we should have had a penalty but we shouldn't be relying on that to get a draw. St Mirren also fluffed a couple of decent chances on the counter too.

We need to be much better on Thursday and Sunday.

Thank f**k for Hibs.

That and a narrow defeat to Hibs, but pretty much, yeah. Just to explain, the wider context is that Alan Stubbs went down that route and filled our squad with loanees and jobbers from south of the border, who never mustered even half a game that would match what Foley has already done for us. So disastrous was it that it led to people doubting that that approach could ever work.

So, yeah, I take your point that it might seem rash, but we've seen enough pure shite to know the difference.

Big difference with Foley is that he's racked up 100s of appearances across league 1/2 and the National league. Stubbs signings had about a dozen professional appearances between them.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Big difference with Foley is that he's racked up 100s of appearances across league 1/2 and the National league. Stubbs signings had about a dozen professional appearances between them.

Not only nearly putting our club in crises but a total lack of respect for Scottish football. Would be astounding if he got another managerial position at a club.  

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Obviously, stuff like this helps back up my point:

29 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Not only nearly putting our club in crises but a total lack of respect for Scottish football. Would be astounding if he got another managerial position at a club.  

I agree. Thing is, there are good players at that level. Motherwell signed Louis Moult from the Conference, Alan Power came to Kilmarnock from that level too. Stubbs problem was that pretty much all his signings came from that level (and lower) and into the bargain hadn't played many games.  He also moved on, or tried to move on, players that had done us a turn in the Championship to bring these untried players. It was a recipe for disaster.

We've seen managers come to Scotland and underestimate the standard, Stubbs played in Scotland for years and had managed Hibs only a couple of years previously. He had no excuse.

We've been without a really good player in that role for a very long time. DM is my favourite position in any team - it's the hipster's choice - and I'm so excited.

Have to agree with all of this. [emoji2]

In fairness, I think McGinn would benefit from having Foley beside him to let him play a bit further up the park. Flynn is rightly first choice and a much better player than McGinn these days but I don’t want to write him off just yet.