St Mirren vs Aberdeen, 15:00 11/08

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

That’s a very good point. He offered plenty going forward but there were times he was missing, and often when he was there he still didn’t manage to stop the player.

I thought he was one of the few who had a good game on Thursday night, up against a tricky winger who was eventually subbed.

I'm struggling to think what he did wrong defensively yesterday. He got a bad break of the ball at the goal, but the fault really lay with the midfield who didn't track the guy who eventually scored. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I thought he was one of the few who had a good game on Thursday night, up against a tricky winger who was eventually subbed.

I'm struggling to think what he did wrong defensively yesterday. He got a bad break of the ball at the goal, but the fault really lay with the midfield who didn't track the guy who eventually scored. 

I think it's more something to be wary of rather than lambast Leigh for it. He does leave space behind him so if he's not going to get back then we need to react to it better, whether it be a midfielder dropping in or whatevr.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I think it's more something to be wary of rather than lambast Leigh for it. He does leave space behind him so if he's not going to get back then we need to react to it better, whether it be a midfielder dropping in or whatevr.

That's true.

He's only played 4 games for the team though,  so even Aberdeen fans should give him a bit of leeway to adjust. **

**Disclaimer : This does not apply to Curtis Main. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's true.

He's only played 4 games for the team though,  so even Aberdeen fans should give him a bit of leeway to adjust. **

**Disclaimer : This does not apply to Curtis Main. 

Agree, I'm not criticising him really, I like him and an advanced fullback is a must against teams that sit in. It is more on Derek to ensure we're protected, Hearts exposed it a couple of times too.

I thought he was defensively very naive on Thursday, especially in the first half. It's fine to have an attack-minded full-back, but his first duty has to be defensive - he leaves a lot of space behind and it impacts on the rest of the defence. He will get the time to adjust, I'm sure, but Considine might still be the better option there in certain situations. 

46 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Not saying I wouldn’’t have been screaming for the penalty Dons had denied, but from last night’s footage (excuse crap quality) it really looked like Flynn was desperately trying to get his arm out of the way.

When the ball makes contact, his arm is almost behind his back.

I also don’t think that’s the reason the officials didn’t give it, but could be they weren’t quite as wrong as everyone thought they were.

E8136048-573F-43A6-97B0-AAF514E54733.jpeg

This photograph is the least conclusive evidence of anything ever. It does appear to show that St Mirren and Aberdeen have shared a pitch., I'll grant that. 

14 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Paul McGinn played well but he needs to watch the lapses in concentration late in games, he nearly cost us again today with that McGinn chance.

When McAllister came on Paul Mcginn was left with 2 men every time as Mcallister wasn't tracking the Aberdeen left back, that's why Niall McGinn was wide open.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Interesting to hear Dons fans complaining about endless sideways passing across the back, and then to hear Goodwin confirm our game plan was to let them do exactly that.

We're not going to see a lot of the ball this season - our success or otherwise is going to boil down to whether we can hurt teams when we do have it.

Watching Jim's post match interview with Top Man Jimbo, that was actually one of the few (only?) areas where he was critical - how the players performed on the ball.

It seems he has placed emphasis on how they maintain shape and discipline whilst not in possession, and was happy with that, but reckons the players need to and will improve when we have the ball.  Makes a great deal of sense to me.

What was particularly encouraging is that the players seemed to be very well drilled and knew what their roles were - and that is in spite of the fact that a good few have only just joined up.

Aberdeen fans also retain their position in my ‘top 4’ visiting supports who come/have come to our wee midden - Aberdeen, Killie, Partick, Hibs. Well played, 1500 on a Sunday in that weather with the Deadco at home up the road.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Watching Jim's post match interview with Top Man Jimbo, that was actually one of the few (only?) areas where he was critical - how the players performed on the ball.

It seems he has placed emphasis on how they maintain shape and discipline whilst not in possession, and was happy with that, but reckons the players need to and will improve when we have the ball.  Makes a great deal of sense to me.

What was particularly encouraging is that the players seemed to be very well drilled and knew what their roles were - and that is in spite of the fact that a good few have only just joined up.

In general, that's all you'll need to finish somewhere between 6th and 10th in the SPL (which I presume is St Mirren's goal). 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

In general, that's all you'll need to finish somewhere between 6th and 10th in the SPL (which I presume is St Mirren's goal). 

Our goal, in my opinion, is for Jim to prove to be more Jack Ross than Alan Stubbs, for 2 year ‘proper’ signings to replace the reliance on loanees, and for general all-round stability to descend upon the club.... and not to be relegated. With some of the ‘properly contracted’ signings so far, and the way Jim seems to go about his business, the initial signs in the two league games so far are good. Early days and all that.

28 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You'd be amazed how often we manage not to achieve that 😂

Maybe reassess targets at Christmas if we're doing well, but as it stands I'd still be happy with a solid 10th. Our team has been assembled hastily so you'd imagine there's some improving still to be done. 

This time last year we had an equally appalling League Cup shitstorm and followed that up by watching Stubbs' diddies continue it into the League. I expected relegation after only a few weeks such was the shocking ability of the players he signed, no apparent team plan and player unrest.  The complete opposite now 12 months later from those dark days. Not saying we will do too much this season but at least we can now go into games with hope and get some enjoyment.

And well done the Dons for bringing such a good crowd on a miserable Sunday. I would not be too hard on your team. They are physically big and strong and full of running  which will get you points. Just need a couple of creative players further up the pitch. And your left back looked ok to me for all the stick he was getting. Got a lot more space to attack when McAllister came on and ignored Leighs forward runs.

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

A sizeable chunk of the Aberdeen “travelling support” when they play in the West of Scotland actually live down here.

So no need to give them too much praise for travelling all that distance, bad weather, Sevco at home, etc.

HEY! the weather being shite affects us Aberdonian ex-pats too yknow

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Interesting to hear Dons fans complaining about endless sideways passing across the back, and then to hear Goodwin confirm our game plan was to let them do exactly that.

We're not going to see a lot of the ball this season - our success or otherwise is going to boil down to whether we can hurt teams when we do have it.

Absolutely. 

I never understand why Scottish clubs think that it's particularly stylish to have two centre backs pass the ball back and forward to each other before hoofing the ball forward once the opposition has regrouped. It's even worse, when they do that when losing. As a country we seem to spend plenty of money sending coaches and managers over to the continent to watch Spanish, Belgian and Dutch clubs playing football and when they come home the only thing they seem to have learned is that two centre backs passing the ball to each other under no pressure at all gets the possession percentage up. 

You're absolutely right. It's about what you do with your time on the ball that matters. 

I thought Aberdeen were far too slow in possession yesterday, and in the European tie during the week, and they didn't really hurt St Mirren. I was surprised that Aberdeen didn't introduce Niall McGinn earlier too since he does appear to provide the width and the creativity that stretches oppositions defences. 

The penalty kick claim is a strange one. Flynn seems to have both arms out wide then brings his left one in to his body as the ball is struck towards him.

If he’d kept his arm out wide then the ball probably wouldn’t have struck it. But if it had, then it would have been a penalty as he’d have used his arms to be unnaturally large.

But as his arm was right into his body then it shouldn’t be a penalty unless you argue that he brought his arm in in order to deliberately handle the ball.

For me, it’s a split second natural reaction to bring your arm in in order to avoid the ball striking it. Therefore it’s not deliberate handball and his arms are not making him unnaturally big.

So, for me, correct decision and no penalty.