St Mirren vs Aberdeen, 15:00 11/08

Looking at the highlights makes it clear we should have had the game dead and buried before Aberdeen woke up. Numerous good chances headers from Durmas and Andreu should be goals.
Penalty shout is a big one to be fair but sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. 
I thought with the new handball rule this season decisions like that would be pretty straight forward.

Fair enough if the ref missed it because of the angle but the linesman must have seen it.

4 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Looking at the highlights makes it clear we should have had the game dead and buried before Aberdeen woke up. Numerous good chances headers from Durmas and Andreu should be goals.

I don't care that we're missing chances; Goals will come if we're creating them.

A St Mirren team that actually creates chances. What a time to be alive.

On 06/08/2019 at 14:58, pozbaird said:

Who the hell knows? Could be 1-1, could be 4-0 to Aberdeen, we could sneak it 1-0. I have no idea. I haven’t seen any of our new signings play, and Aberdeen could pick up injuries in Europe. Will rack up as usual, say my prayers, and hope for a positive result.

Ach, I was all over it. I know my stuff. Ahem, cough. 😀

19 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm assuming the reason sportscene refused to show these multiple assaults on Aberdeen players is due to the nationwide conspiracy to keep the Dons down.

No, it's the blatant pro-St Mirren bias in the media. We saw it last week when Durmas committed a red card tackle and yet not a peep on Sportscene.

The only other possible reason for their omissions is that the tackles were so bad, so X-rated that the couldn't possibly be shown on TV.

What has happened to the team in the space of a week?

The high of last week, then watched a live stream of the game in croatia which was a feeble attempt and now this crap today.

Wright, McLennan, Vyner and Main in to ‘freshen ‘ things up but sadly none of them showed enough to try and stay in the team.

To compound this the other 7 played at a pace suited to walking football for the over 50s.

Also frustrating is at no point did McIness switch shape, can’t believe we can’t play at least half an hour of a game against St Mirren with 2 upfront. And giving Wilson just the final few moments to make an impact is a total insult, surely if the team is losing a forward should get at least 20 minutes?

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

So how is Dow’s handball last week a pen and the st mirren handball not?

I've been hearing that 'These things even themselves up over the season' for years.  If it was as blatant as I've been hearing, then that'll even up for one of the 4 penalties we got  given against us in one fucking game at Ibrox last season.  

Move along.  Nothing to see here...  

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, big al said:

What has happened to the team in the space of a week?

The high of last week, then watched a live stream of the game in croatia which was a feeble attempt and now this crap today.

Wright, McLennan, Vyner and Main in to ‘freshen ‘ things up but sadly none of them showed enough to try and stay in the team.

To compound this the other 7 played at a pace suited to walking football for the over 50s.

Also frustrating is at no point did McIness switch shape, can’t believe we can’t play at least half an hour of a game against St Mirren with 2 upfront. And giving Wilson just the final few moments to make an impact is a total insult, surely if the team is losing a forward should get at least 20 minutes?

Last week we had Cosgrove, McGinn, and Gallagher starting. It was undoubtedly our strongest team. 

Today we had Vyner, Main, Wright and McLennan starting. One completely new player and 3 squad players. For 30 minutes the team played like they'd never seen each other before. 

Main was isolated, McLennan and Wright invisible, and for the second game in a row McKenna and Considine's passing double act killed any momentum before it began and made it easy as f*ck for the opposition. 

On top of that, we simply can't stop conceding goals. 7 games so far this season and we've let in 8 goals. It's hard work constantly having to keep chasing games. 

For what it's worth, I think that we're a better team than last season and that'll come out in the months to come. The margins in the SPL are fine, and outside Celtic and maybe now Rangers, if you have an off day then anyone can beat anyone. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I've been hearing that 'These things even themselves up over the season' for years.  If it was as blatant as I've been hearing, then that'll even up for one of the 4 penalties we got  given against us in one fucking game at Ibrox last season.  

Move along.  Nothing to see here...  

After Aberdeen's performance today, I think clutching at straws springs to mind. 

We should have been out of sight by halftime. 

Paul Mitchell, who I like, on Sportsound saying it was clever from Main to kick the ball out of Hladky's hands even though it was always going to be chalked off. Well in that case it's not clever, it's stupid!

That's more a remark on the commentary rather than whether what Main did was right or not BTW.

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Paul Mitchell, who I like, on Sportsound saying it was clever from Main to kick the ball out of Hladky's hands even though it was always going to be chalked off. Well in that case it's not clever, it's stupid!

I just read a report that claimed that he only had one hand on the ball. Some people will go to any lengths to justify an Aberdeen loss against relegation fodder. Sweet.

10 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I just read a report that claimed that he only had one hand on the ball. Some people will go to any lengths to justify an Aberdeen loss against relegation fodder. Sweet.

The main reason Aberdeen lost according to Willie Miller was because they played in Europe during the week. This theory is confirmed by the poor weekend results of the other Scottish teams in Europe during the week...

33 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Dons, what is the honest opinion on McKenna?

I go to all the Scotland games and he has been a big lump of wood, then against saints he hasnt looked much better. Am I being unfair? Is he actually really good? 

Nowhere near worth £7million IMO.  He is though very, very good at passing to Considine.

St Mirren wont get an easier game than that all season IMO.

Aberdeen were honking today.  I feared McInnes would needlessly rest players with Thursday in mind and I dont get his obsession with concentrating on Europe at the expense of all else.

His after match interview said that some of the fringe players were sluggish. Well thats hardly a surprise considering we have had NO friendlies arranged since before we started our European campaign. No wonder Main, Wright and McLennan looked so far off the pace it was ridiculous.

McInnes would be as well putting out the under 20s on Thursday and keeping the entire first choice XI fresh for next Sunday's very, very important League Cup tie at a Dundee side I think could give St Mirren a much harder game than we managed today.

An absolutely disgusting, woeful and exceptionally worrying performance if this is going to be the standard.  St Mirren werent particularly good, we just made them look like Celtic or Rangers by being completely unable to do basics.

Dons, what is the honest opinion on McKenna?
I go to all the Scotland games and he has been a big lump of wood, then against saints he hasnt looked much better. Am I being unfair? Is he actually really good? 

I really really rate him, defensively. There was a slide tackle in the first half which was top class. Inside the box, and he ended up sliding right into the advertising hoardings. His pace is decent for his size and he’s so so strong in the air. His reading of the game is getting better, and he’s still v young for a centre half.

When he leaves Aberdeen (end of this season would probably be best for both parties) I’ve got no doubt he’ll go on to have a terrific career. In a Scotland shirt he’s been held back by playing under McLeish for the majority of his caps. McGinn, McGregor, Armstrong, Robertson, etc, all looked shite in that Scotland team so I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on that.

Just now, highland_mechanic said:

St Mirren wont get an easier game than that all season IMO.

Aberdeen were honking today.  I feared McInnes would needlessly rest players with Thursday in mind and I dont get his obsession with concentrating on Europe at the expense of all else.

His after match interview said that some of the fringe players were sluggish. Well thats hardly a surprise considering we have had NO friendlies arranged since before we started our European campaign. No wonder Main, Wright and McLennan looked so far off the pace it was ridiculous.

McInnes would be as well putting out the under 20s on Thursday and keeping the entire first choice XI fresh for next Sunday's very, very important League Cup tie at a Dundee side I think could give St Mirren a much harder game than we managed today.

An absolutely disgusting, woeful and exceptionally worrying performance if this is going to be the standard.  St Mirren werent particularly good, we just made them look like Celtic or Rangers by being completely unable to do basics.

I actually didn’t think Aberdeen were that bad, but lacked any cutting edge, and ended up having lots of the ball, but no-one creative enough on the day to carve open chances. Lots of effort from the Dons, but without that creativity, ended up playing shitloads of passes across the park without hurting us. If I were an Aberdeen fan, I’d at least be encouraged by the fact that no-one hid, the effort was there.