St Johnstone vs Livingston - 10/08/2019

Gordon and Kane fit for this. I'm now sort of looking forward to this, will be nice to just concentrate on actual football for once. Back to basics for us.

Clark

Foster - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser

O'Halloran - Callachan - Craig - Davidson - Kennedy

Kane

Subs: Parish, Vihmann, Duffy, McLean, McCann, Swanson, Hendry

If we'd had a better striker I'd have gone two up front, but theres no need to sacrifice a number in the middle to fit in Hendry or McMillan, as I feel like we need the three central players to try and stop us being over run. Hopefully Callachan and Davidson have enough of a brain between them to decide when one goes forward and the other stays back, but I assume Callachan will end up chasing the ball at random intervals on his own. Swanson on the bench to give us an actual option to change things up if its going badly.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gordon and Kane fit for this. I'm now sort of looking forward to this, will be nice to just concentrate on actual football for once. Back to basics for us.

Clark

Kane

If we'd had a better striker I'd have gone two up front, but theres no need to sacrifice a number in the middle to fit in Hendry or McMillan, as I feel like we need the three central players to try and stop us being over run. Hopefully Callachan and Davidson have enough of a brain between them to decide when one goes forward and the other stays back, but I assume Callachan will end up chasing the ball at random intervals on his own. Swanson on the bench to give us an actual option to change things up if its going badly.

Happy with that if McCann's in for Callachan. Just seems that we bit more composed. But not much in it though to be fair. 

Personally I'd just tell Craig to sit deep and protect the CBs and make early tackles, rather than let them make that decision. 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clark

Kane

I would be happy with that but would prefer to have McCann in for Callachan as he is about more creative

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

16 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

If we play Callachan and Davidson at home to Livi we may as well give up.

Rest of the team I broadly agree with but have someone in there with a bit of composure on the ball.

I agree, but McCann and McLean haven't shown me anything to suggest they'll have enough composure to deal with tempo and press Livingston will bring, at the least Callachan should compete physically. 

Tomorrow isn't going to be pretty, regardless of how we set up, I'd rather it be ugly because we're going toe to toe with Livi, than because they're running over us.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I agree, but McCann and McLean haven't shown me anything to suggest they'll have enough composure to deal with tempo and press Livingston will bring, at the least Callachan should compete physically. 

Tomorrow isn't going to be pretty, regardless of how we set up, I'd rather it be ugly because we're going toe to toe with Livi, than because they're running over us.

Take it you weren’t at Parkhead,McCann showed more confidence and conviction on the  ball than anyone in the team,Tommy commented on it in an interview

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm with JB. Start the way we did against County, but with finishing, and put them away in the first 25 minutes.

Clark

Foster Kerr Gordon Tanser

Davidson Craig

MOH Swanson Kennedy

Kane

Good morning and the sun is shining again now 25 with a high of 30 . How is the weather in Perth will the game go ahead. Day in the pub all sorted Lunch and at 1400 hours Motherwell v Celtic then 1600 hours Saints v Livingston.

Most are in agreement with the selection of players. as stated above. I would like to see us play with 2 banks of 4. Therefore my preference would be 4:4:1:1 and when we get another striker I would play 4:4:2

I believe 4:5:1 is too defensive to play at home against Livingston (no disrespect meant) and the way we are currently playing  4:2:3:1 is a bit adventurous unless the two sitting midfielders do nothing but defend leaving 4 to attack.

4:4:1:1  with MOH right and Kennnedy left as they will defend where Swanson will not. 

Clark

Foster Kerr Gordon Tanser

MOH  Davidson Craig Kennedy

Swanson

Kane

7 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Take it you weren’t at Parkhead,McCann showed more confidence and conviction on the  ball than anyone in the team,Tommy commented on it in an interview

No I didn't go, havent watched the match back either.

Can only go with what I've seen tbh.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can only go with what I've seen tbh.

I'm not picking on you but what is that? 

I haven't made up my mind yet about the pair of them but I'm interested in what you are basing your opinion on. 

I'll not pick a preferred side as I don't really know but it's the manager's job to get that spot on today after last week.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm not picking on you but what is that? 

I haven't made up my mind yet about the pair of them but I'm interested in what you are basing your opinion on. 

I'll not pick a preferred side as I don't really know but it's the manager's job to get that spot on today after last week.

Not very much, tbh. I've seen the two Betfred games, watched the games back on Saints TV, and the friendlies I've been able to see.

Tried to watch Linfield last season for McLean, and watched Stanraer highlights last season to try and see glimpses of McCann.

I'm sure theres been a couple of incidents where they've been pressed and lost out, because theyve not seen a pass quick enough and then been forced off the ball by a stronger player. Theyll be up against Bartley, Pittman and Jacobs, and the last two will be all over the two more advanced CMs for the full game.

I think Callachan will match that energy for the full game, and stop them controlling the centre.

Reading that back it's a bit depressing I'd rather someone run about headless than have ball players in there, tbh, and I hope I've just been unfairly picking up on things with those two.

I kind of see where you're coming from, as matches against Livi were battles last season.

But nobody presses you as quickly and doggedly as Celtic do, and McCann really was a class above the rest in 'coping' with it last week.  Against that he was largely anonymous in the frenetic midfield battle at Forfar.

I think of him as a sitting midfielder, winning it and moving it on as he's a tidy though unadventurous passer in the limited matches I've seen, and McLean as more advanced. But McCann has been used as the further forward in a 3 centrally so far this season, and Tommy knows them a lot better that I do, so who knows?