St Johnstone vs Livingston - 10/08/2019

23 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I'm the opposite actually. We know how bad we are after conceding the first goal and have been for ages. However, being two down at half time, after another awful display, at home, to Livi, after the 7-0 lat week must have made them realise exactly how serious things were. Tommy lasted about 5 minutes with them as he was sitting in the new comfy dugout seats on his own long before the team re-emerged. The second half then showed that, contrary to popular opinion, they were capable of showing some fight and pride, which seems to have been missing.

Of course it still wasn't pretty at times and they had a bit of luck but they still fought back from two down to save a point for the first time in God knows how long.  How many saw that coming? Maybe the penny dropped that they actually could be in danger  unless they got the finger out. Time will tell if it did or if it was just a blip but they finally gave us some hope with their very rare two goal fight back. That's why I'm less worried than I was at 2pm and most definitely 2.45.

We don't just need the strikers to get on the end of and finish chances, we need them so that we can play 2 up top. 5 at the back / 5 in the middle does not seem good for us, but TW hasn't got much option.

Hopefully that's the only time this season we're 2 down at 5 past 3 on a Saturday. 

30 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Of course it still wasn't pretty at times and they had a bit of luck... 

That's unfortunately the way I look at it. I thought they deserved their moment after fighting back but the bigger picture remains. We didn't look like scoring until Jacobs gifted us an opportunity and scored from about the only decent move we put together after that. 

The back four look wobbly, the midfield don't protect them and equally don't give the attacking players much of a platform. And we all know the problems at centre forward. 

When you are saying, with 3 weeks of the window left, that it might be alright after you make an indiscriminate number of signings, you know you are in trouble. 

I'm glad that you brought this up. Some of the Livi 'streetwise' stuff today was quite nippy. You lot definitely got the better of a dreadful set of officials (apart from the very obvious corner that you should have had at the Ormond end, that was hilarious). 
Hard to know if it was Dallas or our Estonian CB that was the worst performance today. 

Every time play stopped Livi kicked the ball away or stood/jumped in front of our player trying to take a free kick. Added to their physical style I think they’ve managed to become streetwise enough. We looked a soft touch next to them.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

A good point under the circumstances.  Great to see a bit of fight from the players, and the support getting behind them.  If we play like that often then we're going to need it!

Started okay but usual story as soon as Livi score we fall to pieces. Midfield dropped right out of it, first half McCann was largely anonymous and Muzz was everywhere trying to drag us back into it, so all shape was out the window.

A few passes at the back, limited options so the inevitable hump up the park straight back to Livi every time.  If MOH, Swanson and Kennedy are going to start, then they need to be making some kind of impact. First half we had one shot from a free kick as far as I can remember.

Second half was much the same for the first 20 or so, but we gradually dragged Livi down to our level, and great unselfish play from O'Halloran to square it for Kennedy to score. All of a sudden we start playing a bit, passing it to feet and looking much more like it. McCann started showing far more composure and finding a few passes; he also showed great maturity in fouling the Livi player who looked through to take one for the team, something we rarely did last season.

Livi had more chances, and probably deserved the win. But f**k them. Delighted for us to get a point on the board and hopefully a wee confidence boost which at half time looked very unlikely.

I think Dallas helped deflect a bit of stick away from the Saints players. A few boos; I'm not saying it wasn't dreadful and really frustrating to watch, but what the fucks the point of booing your own team when confidence is already low?!  Otherwise, I think the Saints crowd mostly stayed behind the team and tried to help lift them.  I honestly don't think Dallas understands football, he's probably the biggest imposter with a whistle out of all of them.

Aye and f**k yous an all.Yous got outa jail and you know it.Last years Livi would have buried yous.Gonna be interesting this time. Strange times ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

That's unfortunately the way I look at it. I thought they deserved their moment after fighting back but the bigger picture remains. We didn't look like scoring until Jacobs gifted us an opportunity and scored from about the only decent move we put together after that. 

Surely have to take into account how shattered their confidence is? It can be an easy excuse sometimes but the difference between the performance before, and after, our first goal points to that having a major effect on things.

Aye and f**k yous an all.Yous got outa jail and you know it.Last years Livi would have buried yous.Gonna be interesting this time. Strange times ahead. 
Difficult to argue in the face of such eloquent discourse.

2 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Very erudite post young man..Did you major in English perchance ??

If I may ellaborate, I think the gentleman was trying to convey his disappointment while offering a critique of Saints performance. He is very much looking forward to the next duel.

Lucky or character? Yesterday was the first time since 1972 that we've recovered from 0-2 at HT to take something from a top flight match. 

He always looks lost in a one but Callum Hendry is actually proving himself a decent source of goals. He's only played 712 minutes since the start of last season (less than 8 full matches) but has scored 5 goals. Hopefully he can prove a good option off the bench or with a partner in certain games this season. 

14 hours ago, Menga Bus said:

Tactically naive from Holt again, there was absolutely no need to sit back and be “street wise” trying to defend the lead, the way he set us up cost us the points. Why were we sitting back in the second when we absolutely dominated the game by pressing high in the first half? I don’t think st Johnstone had a proper shot before we gifted them the goal, they were f**king dreadful until then. Then all of a sudden it’s 2-2 and we start pressing and attacking again?? As soon as we attacked we got a pen and nearly scored from a corner, negative tactics cost us 2 points. 

You are dead right.  Holt is too quick to try and park the bus, saw it lots of times last season.  Looks like we are in for a lot of frustrating draws again this season.

1 hour ago, East Calder Lion said:

You are dead right.  Holt is too quick to try and park the bus, saw it lots of times last season.  Looks like we are in for a lot of frustrating draws again this season.

Parking the bus and taking off a defender for a midfielder is strange too, was McMillan injured? 

Parking the bus and taking off a defender for a midfielder is strange too, was McMillan injured? 

He was going to get sent off if he kept going the way he was.

Was McMillan the boy who smashed Kane in the back of the head as he went to take a quick throw in?

Yeah he was, he was a lucky boy that Dallas was being incompetent all game cause he had committed at least 2 bookable offences before that where he was either late or cynical.

Lucky or character? Yesterday was the first time since 1972 that we've recovered from 0-2 at HT to take something from a top flight match. 
He always looks lost in a one but Callum Hendry is actually proving himself a decent source of goals. He's only played 712 minutes since the start of last season (less than 8 full matches) but has scored 5 goals. Hopefully he can prove a good option off the bench or with a partner in certain games this season. 
Bit of both. Livi should have been out of sight, they gifted StJ a way back into the game and the players responded in a positive manner. They were clearly still playing for the manager, RG is right. Probably low on confidence but coming back to 2-2 and Clarks late penalty save could kick start your season.