St Johnstone vs Livingston - 10/08/2019

Tactically naive from Holt again, there was absolutely no need to sit back and be “street wise” trying to defend the lead, the way he set us up cost us the points. Why were we sitting back in the second when we absolutely dominated the game by pressing high in the first half? I don’t think st Johnstone had a proper shot before we gifted them the goal, they were f**king dreadful until then. Then all of a sudden it’s 2-2 and we start pressing and attacking again?? As soon as we attacked we got a pen and nearly scored from a corner, negative tactics cost us 2 points. 

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our sole tactic was pumping balls up to Kane, who was never going to win a header.

I agree with you. So why do we do it?

Does Clark have no confidence in the back four to play it out to them.  Do our back four not want the ball because they are not comfortable playing it out. Our is it Tommy's tactic. Even when Clark does kick it up the park, he kicks to the players instead of kicking into space where Kane, Swanson or O'Halloran have a better chance at getting it on a foot race rather than kicking it down the throat of one of their centre backs. 

If and it is a big if we get a ball playing midfielder how are we going to get the ball to him. 

If we a striker who is in the May mould he too is going to struggle to win high balls played through the middle.

Having said all that I am happy that we got the draw. Clark was my man of the match. O'Halloran did unselfishly square the ball to Kennedy to spark us into life. Just a thought would Kennedy or Swanson have squared it. A super finish from Hendry  and a penalty save from Clark.

Vihmann is not good enough for this league on todays performance and I thought Kerr's lack of pace was evident today.

We are leaking too many goals.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

I actually thought it was a heavy touch from O’Halloran rather than squaring it.

I thought that at first but Saints TV showed it was a definite pass. The luck came with Matty miscontrolling it a bit but he had time to rectify that and stroke it home.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

I actually thought it was a heavy touch from O’Halloran rather than squaring it.

Watch it again Do you think we were just fortunate that his heavy touch went square onto Kennedy's toe and, he went in the opposite direction. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Just now, 7-2 said:

I thought that at first but Saints TV showed it was a definite pass. The luck came with Matty miscontrolling it a bit but he had time to rectify that and stroke it home.

And he was not for squaring to MOH even though he was at the back post unmarked.

Atrocious. I suppose, despite the fact they nearly threw it away, you have to give them some credit for recovering from two goals down but it papers over very little and I'm probably more concerned about our prospects for the season than I was at 2:00pm.

Livingston got a harsh lesson in why you need to go in for the kill, so hard to have too much sympathy for them. Definitely two points thrown away for them.

Hopefully we can get players out ASAP so new faces can arrive.

44 minutes ago, crispy said:

Yea, hard to know how it would’ve played out (we’d probably have fluffed it!) but committing the foul limited any potential damage for Saints. I think Holt also wants us to develop that ‘clever’ (cheating?) streak and  talked about us being a bit naive last season - maybe we still are 🙄

I’d be chuffed if I was a Saints fan. Dig it out and with a lot of the same team I see no reason to worry. We’re all after a striker 😂

I'm glad that you brought this up. Some of the Livi 'streetwise' stuff today was quite nippy. You lot definitely got the better of a dreadful set of officials (apart from the very obvious corner that you should have had at the Ormond end, that was hilarious). 

Hard to know if it was Dallas or our Estonian CB that was the worst performance today. 

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm glad that you brought this up. Some of the Livi 'streetwise' stuff today was quite nippy. You lot definitely got the better of a dreadful set of officials (apart from the very obvious corner that you should have had at the Ormond end, that was hilarious). 

Hard to know if it was Dallas or our Estonian CB that was the worst performance today. 

I think it was just poor all round. Foster could’ve been booked for that late challenge on Dykes, for example. Coulda, woulda, shoulda kinda day for us. 

Whether or not O’Halloran miscontrolled or meant to square it was school boy stuff to undercut the backpass; a goal back from no danger and then Saints are buoyant.

F*ck it.

11 minutes ago, crispy said:

I think it was just poor all round. Foster could’ve been booked for that late challenge on Dykes, for example. Coulda, woulda, shoulda kinda day for us. 

Whether or not O’Halloran miscontrolled or meant to square it was school boy stuff to undercut the backpass; a goal back from no danger and then Saints are buoyant.

F*ck it.

Agree about that goal. We made astonishingly heavy weather of it. 

Probably right about Foster too, but I'll raise you McMillan basically lamping Kane at the touchline in full view of the linesman. 

But yeah, that's football. Both teams have reasons to be disappointed and the refereeing's only part of it. 

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agree about that goal. We made astonishingly heavy weather of it. 

Probably right about Foster too, but I'll raise you McMillan basically lamping Kane at the touchline in full view of the linesman. 

But yeah, that's football. Both teams have reasons to be disappointed and the refereeing's only part of it. 

Dykes also smashed Vihmann in the face with a swinging elbow, in full view of the ref who blew for the foul, and escaped with a yellow.

That's ignoring the Livingston player who dragged Swanson down during a counter attack and escaped without a card despite Dallas again noticing it and giving the foul.

Dallas is shite, for both sides, constantly. Staggered hes still officiating at this level.

Just glad to get the point after a dreadful first half. Livi's defenders gave us very little room. Second half Livi were content to foul and time waste. The referee was his usual useless anti saints so no change there.
Surely Liam Gordon must get in this team.

I booed after we conceded the second. Why? Because the players deserved it. They were absolutely shocking today. Second to every ball. You ask why we continually go long to Kane despite him having a 0.000004% chance of winning the ball? Its simple.

Imagine you are Vihmann (who I'm trying to forget) and you have the ball in defence. You look up and what do you see? McCann and Davidson standing in the middle, still, with a player up their arse. Full backs are marked with Livi sitting high enough to press them if they are passed to. Two wingers again not moving or trying to run their players away to make space. Swanson absolutely nowhere, again not moving. 

So you wait, and wait and then you get pressed - bang, long you go. 

Every single time. No movement and no striker next to Kane if we go go long to keep it.

So what changed? Livi fecked it up. Bad bank pass and bang, Mikey and Kennedy did well. Then the key thing for me was taking Swanson off and getting Hendry up next to Kane. Finally, movement and options and another poachers goal for Hendry.

So it's simple, until we get better midfielders get two up top so we can actually go long. And sort the defence.

Tommy should know this but he's clearly struggling still trying to fit in the misfits into his team.

Still enjoyed the excitement in the second half though.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

I'm probably more concerned about our prospects for the season than I was at 2:00pm.

I'm the opposite actually. We know how bad we are after conceding the first goal and have been for ages. However, being two down at half time, after another awful display, at home, to Livi, after the 7-0 lat week must have made them realise exactly how serious things were. Tommy lasted about 5 minutes with them as he was sitting in the new comfy dugout seats on his own long before the team re-emerged. The second half then showed that, contrary to popular opinion, they were capable of showing some fight and pride, which seems to have been missing.

Of course it still wasn't pretty at times and they had a bit of luck but they still fought back from two down to save a point for the first time in God knows how long.  How many saw that coming? Maybe the penny dropped that they actually could be in danger  unless they got the finger out. Time will tell if it did or if it was just a blip but they finally gave us some hope with their very rare two goal fight back. That's why I'm less worried than I was at 2pm and most definitely 2.45.