St Johnstone vs Livingston - 10/08/2019

A genuine must win game for us, given the downer that the 19/20 season has been so far and the run of fixtures coming up after this.

Wright seems to think he'll a striker this week but given what's gone before this summer, I'll not get my hopes up until I see whoever it ends up being holding a scarf above their heads. Assuming we don't get anyone in, I'd I'd line up;

Clark

Foster Kerr Vihmann Tanser

Davidson Craig

O'Halloran Swanson Kennedy

Kane/Hendry

If Livi start well and score early, things could end up getting quite toxic in the stands which isn't really what you need during your first home league match of the season.

I think if Liam Gordon is fit, he'll bring him in for Vihmann. It wouldn't be the biggest shock for me if McCann or McClean plays instead of Liam Craig as well. I know the manager has been talking about leaders but Craig hasn't been overly involved in the pre-season and has been off the pace when he has. 

Just have to hope that Kane is fit if we don't have a new striker. 

No idea if Livingston are the same as last season after their Summer losses, but that midfield would be eaten alive against them.

I am assuming we have not signed a striker. If Kane is fit he should play up front if not it has to be Hendry.  O'Halloran up front as the loan striker has not worked get him back out wide. 

But what formation Tommy picks is up for grabs. I could suggest one but as @RandomGuy. will tell you it will change numerous times before 2 o'clock on Saturday. Oh to hell with it 4:4:1:1

O'Halloran and Wotherspoon/Swanson wide, with Kennedy behind Kane/Hendry/ or our new surprise striker.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea if Livingston are the same as last season after their Summer losses, but that midfield would be eaten alive against them.

Our team have the same attitude as last season. The defence still looks fairly good considering and we look better going forward as a team even without and out and out goal threat

I feel like if we don't win on Saturday, we will never win in Perth again. If we can add a killer instinct to our performance from Saturday, I am hopeful that we will get a result. 

That said, our chances probably hinge on McMillan being fit and available at left back.

Even at this early stage this is a pretty big game for both clubs, St Johnstone because of such a poor start to the campaign, league cup and last weekend against Celtic and for us because these are the type of games we have to win or atleast take something from to stay clear of the bottom two spots. 

The game against Motherwell gave me a lot of confidence, think we looked a bit more savvy in terms of experience, Bartley an obvious one that adds experience but Devlin also adds that experience and voice to the team that perhaps we lacked across the pitch last season, Dykes also looks an improvement on Hardie and gives far more for the team. 

Agree with EL a lot depends on McMillan being fit, if he’s not and Pepe has to play CB I’d be concerned, if McMillan is fit I reckon we go with the same again in terms of line up. 

Don't see many goals in this, either a draw or a narrow 1-0 win for either side, hopefully us obviously. 

11 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Even at this early stage this is a pretty big game for both clubs, St Johnstone because of such a poor start to the campaign, league cup and last weekend against Celtic and for us because these are the type of games we have to win or atleast take something from to stay clear of the bottom two spots. 

The game against Motherwell gave me a lot of confidence, think we looked a bit more savvy in terms of experience, Bartley an obvious one that adds experience but Devlin also adds that experience and voice to the team that perhaps we lacked across the pitch last season, Dykes also looks an improvement on Hardie and gives far more for the team. 

Agree with EL a lot depends on McMillan being fit, if he’s not and Pepe has to play CB I’d be concerned, if McMillan is fit I reckon we go with the same again in terms of line up. 

Don't see many goals in this, either a draw or a narrow 1-0 win for either side, hopefully us obviously. 

Dykes played well against us in the League Cup last season actually, caused a few problems so you'll be hoping he can do the same. 

Hopefully we've got a striker in by then, hopefully give us a lift and a bit more of a killer touch in front of goal. If we turn up and show the attacking performance we did in the first half against County we'll win the game.  If the performance is anything like Montrose or Forfar then were in trouble. 

Have to say that only going on the BBC highlights, Livi looked impressive against Motherwell and arguably should have got the result. Holt seems to be a manager that the team play for. 

If we defend like we did against Celtic we could easily lose this, especially if we don't sort out our striker situation. But saying that, we've been poor all over the part for most of the year so far, including Clarke on Saturday. 

That said, I expect that we'll be a different proposition being at home, and after that result I'm expecting a bounce back. Add to that Livi are away which has historically been a weakness. 

I'm saying 2-1 Saints if we get 2 or more players signed this week, not only because the team need them but it should hopefully bring in a bit more of a home crowd. 

Would be some boost so early doors to get a win here. Our away form was as utterly rancid as excellent as our home form was last season, so would be nice to remedy that somewhat. Saints have had a very poor start by their own standards, but given I’ve never even saw us come close to winning in Perth in a dozen attempts I’m not getting my hopes up.

Didn’t make it on Saturday but from the sounds of it we carved out some good chances but our finishing touch was lacking again - hoping we can buck that trend, somehow.

I said post season that the loss of Halkett and Gallagher might actually work in our favour, I know that sounds crazy with them being so good for us in defence, but we'd hardly set the heather alight in the 2nd half of the season, and we fizzled out with a poor run of results. We needed freshening up and a forced change to defence has done that, we've had to go with a back 4 now, and Devlin has been excellent, as has McMillan, between them and Lamie slotting in alongside Lithgow we've managed to look pretty solid again. Bartley as a holding midfielder has also made a big difference/

Anyway, this is a great chance for us to finally beat St Johnstone away from home, they'll be hurting after their heavy defeat to Celtic, but I still feel we can get the 3 points. Although a draw would do fine too, to keep our confidence going remaining undefeated.

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Would be some boost so early doors to get a win here. Our away form was as utterly rancid as excellent as our home form was last season, so would be nice to remedy that somewhat. Saints have had a very poor start by their own standards, but given I’ve never even saw us come close to winning in Perth in a dozen attempts I’m not getting my hopes up.

Didn’t make it on Saturday but from the sounds of it we carved out some good chances but our finishing touch was lacking again - hoping we can buck that trend, somehow.

Yeah that was how it was reported by journos and pundits, but Gallagher and Gillespie getting in the bbc team of the week tells a different story, we had two excellent chances saved by Gillespie (Souda's overhead kick and Devlin clear shot on target), and Gallagher heading Pittman's effort away from goal after Gillespie was left stranded, and someone made a last ditch tackle taking the ball off Pittman's toe just before he pulled the trigger in from of goal. I don't think we can complain too much about our finishing touch.

I completely forgot so I'm going to mention incase people are as thick as me.

But remember this is a 2 o'clock kick off.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Great flag, sir! I’d likely still have been on the motorway.

Never confident in a game against St Johnstone and there’s no way they’ll be as slack this weekend. For me it’s still the usual scenario of a single goal in it and toss a coin as to which way. 

If we score first, then we’ll try and defend it and inevitably lose a goal. If we concede first, we won’t get back in the match. So a choice between a draw or a lose. [emoji23]

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:15, RandomGuy. said:

saw this on bbc and assumed it was a type. Any reason why its a 2 o'clock KO?

saw this on bbc and assumed it was a type. Any reason why its a 2 o'clock KO?

Some sort of cycle thing through Perth at about 3pm, moved the football forward to avoid clashing.