Mighty Raith V The Bully wee

Positive performances all over the pitch, davo played well, good few crosses from Macdonald that we nearly scored from. Allan won’t get us a lot of goals, but his hold up play and running is good. Great to see the players looking for the ball, wingers got in behind their full backs quite a bit as well.

Negatives that we conceded two goals that could have been avoided really and how badly being a football manager has aged danny lennon.

Fair to play to him actually for going right across to the clyde fans after that, couldn’t have been easy for him.

All round good day finishing off with the players and staff to stay behind and sign the kids team photos at the end.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Why? We barely bothered Dumbarton and we got five against a Clyde defense that was holier than the Pope...plus we have concerns about Ziggy and Anderson. Hendry is absolute class, and Anderson looks the bit too, our young strikers are showing potential, but until we see how we play against some more settled competition, I doubt our scoring worries are over yet. Sorry if that bothers people, but I’m not worried about being a wee bit strange.

Complaining about a game we absolutely dominated and were excellent in, whilst not attending or watching that game, is very very weird. 

We were really poor today. Raith by far the better team. Dont know why we persist with Goodwillie when hes clearly not fit.
Saying that our season wont be defined on games against the likes of Raith or Falkirk. But Danny needs to sort out our defence very quickly.

If Clyde can get Goodwillie fit and give him some support he’ll do well, but on that performance Clyde don’t look a good side.

Genuine question, why do raith fans hate Johnstone?

Johnstone wasn’t too offensive for us. He’s just one of those players who looks like he’ll be influential but rarely delivers. He was infuriating when we were struggling to survive in The Championship and he was just there, hanging about and generally doing f**k all.

Anyone still thinking we will trouble the top end of the league needs help.
Full backs out of their depth.
No pace in central midfield.
A centre forward clearly not fit however the manager still thinks he is better than anyone who is fit.

Long winter ahead.

Goodwillie was still your best player. Your 'keeper and defence looked brutal but going forward you should be fine this season.

Can't really fault any of our team today. Mcgurn rolling back the years and making two good saves, a much improved davo from last season, a midfield full of quality and workrate, Allan up top working his socks off for 90 minutes and 5 goals from 5 different players, two of which being players we have developed.

Its not always good being a rovers fan but that was a good strong performance today and hopefully we can take that into next week against stranraer.

Credit to Raith who fully deserved the win and given the way the game panned out, I'm relieved we didn't lose by more. With Cuddihy, Norway and (most importantly) Rankin back plus a fitter Goodwillie (give him a wee or two on the bench ffs!) we will be a different animal altogether. That said, we still badly need an experienced defender to sort out problems down the left flank but I am hoping this is something Lennon is working on. 

Great wee stadium by the way but charging £17 to sit in that particular bit of the stadium is a bit of an insult. Mediocre view and seats covered in bird $hite does not make for a pleasant away day experience. I'd urge your board to have a rethink and stick fans in the end stand again or you'll end up losing away punters, me being one.

I'd urge your board to have a rethink and stick fans in the end stand again or you'll end up losing away punters, me being one.

While Clyde brought a reasonable away support today, there's no way the justify opening the North Stand. If anything, you'd be more likely to end up in the Main Stand.

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

While Clyde brought a reasonable away support today, there's no way the justify opening the North Stand. If anything, you'd be more likely to end up in the Main Stand.

Fair enough, that would be preferable to bird keech corner.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Johnstone wasn’t too offensive for us. He’s just one of those players who looks like he’ll be influential but rarely delivers. He was infuriating when we were struggling to survive in The Championship and he was just there, hanging about and generally doing f**k all.

Plenty of elements of that in his time at Clyde so far, no more so than today. Rightly hooked. He is actually worse than a man down when we don't have the ball.

That's now been 10 matches, friendlies and competitive games, since we returned to action, and we look like a complete rabble who aren't learning from mistakes. Hopelessly disorganised, and nowhere near having the physical attributes to cope at this level.

Our game-plan today seemed to be to push Duffie as high as possible when in possession, playing almost a back three behind him. When defending, he tucked in more like an orthodox right back but it was clear early on that MacDonald was catching us out down that side time and time again. We actually started with some confidence but the opener killed us. It could perhaps have seen McNIff clear the corner further, but Duffie was caught on his heels trying to clear and booted Hendry instead. No doubt the Raith player bought the kick, but it was a definite penalty.

We responded reasonably and McGurn made a good save from Goodwillie. The second goal might make more sense from the highlights (the view from the stand is a low angle) but after Hendry spun away from McStay, we seemed to completely vacate the centre of the penalty area which allowed a through ball that was converted. Possibly Duffie's fault for not tracking, possibly Petkov's for not stepping across? Would need to see it again. After that, they cut us open down our right side time and time again and a number of MacDonald crosses flew across our box that could have been netted.

The second half was over quickly as McNiff got caught with space behind him again, and Petkov not quite able to cover across. This nonsense is going to define our season and Lennon is a brave man if he continues playing him out there. Fourth came down the other side where Wallace, clearly not a full-back, was caught out by Victoria.

Lyon and Love came on and we instantly improved by taking off two ghosts in Johnston and Smith. Goodwillie should probably have played Lyon in but saw his own shot well saved, before Lyon did well to cut-back for Goodwillie to score. Fifth goal saw us all over the place at the back, a bit of bad fortune with a block that ran perfectly for the Raith player. Good hit for Love's goal (maybe took a deflection on the way through?).

There undeniably will be an element of improvement as players adjust. There's a number of occasions where we try to take an extra second on the ball and get caught, or react to a 50-50 a bit slowly and for players who haven't played at this level before, that can be sharpened up. However, I think we've had another atrocious summer of recruitment. Cuddihy, Lang, Cogill and Stewart is a far superior set of defenders to what we put out today. We haven't signed anyone with pace, so much so, that Ross Lyon looks good when he appears on the pitch. And we've retained (on two-year contracts?!) players like Rumsby and McNiff who there were clearly going to be huge question marks about.

I appreciate it's a step-up. That was an absolute chasing though, against a team who I don't even think played that well.

Anyone still thinking we will trouble the top end of the league needs help.

Full backs out of their depth.

No pace in central midfield.

A centre forward clearly not fit however the manager still thinks he is better than anyone who is fit.

Long winter ahead.

Absolutely correct in everything you say.

One "proper" fullback in that whole squad and that's Keiran Duffie who can't run, slow of football thought and can't cross the ball.

Wallace proved today that he would struggle at fullback.

McNiff has proved in almost every competitive match that he is a very poor fullback at this level. He simply doesn't have the pace. What does he offer in that position that Lennon persists with him? It's it simply we have no one else?

Petkov doesn't look a patch on Lang or Cogill. He isn't aggressive enough.

Absolutely no pace in midfield.

No one seemed to break up play.

McStay was a passenger.

Goodwillie, looks well off the pace and lacks confidence.

Lennon going into the season with a fullback situation that he's created should take full responsibility. We supporters as amateurs identifed it as a problem weeks ago. Why didn't he as a professional football manager see it?

Credit to Raith who fully deserved the win and given the way the game panned out, I'm relieved we didn't lose by more. With Cuddihy, Norway and (most importantly) Rankin back plus a fitter Goodwillie (give him a wee or two on the bench ffs!) we will be a different animal altogether. That said, we still badly need an experienced defender to sort out problems down the left flank but I am hoping this is something Lennon is working on. 
Great wee stadium by the way but charging £17 to sit in that particular bit of the stadium is a bit of an insult. Mediocre view and seats covered in bird $hite does not make for a pleasant away day experience. I'd urge your board to have a rethink and stick fans in the end stand again or you'll end up losing away punters, me being one.

You’re unlikely to get the end behind the goals (which holds 3000) unless you’re bringing 300-500 fans.

The teams who bring 50-100 get put in the Main Stand with us.

I can appreciate not wanting to sit in seats covered with bird shit, but the happy medium between the Main Stand corner and the North Stand is the Railway Stand.