Artificial Pitches. . . .Need to go!

11 hours ago, jinky said:

What also scares me is that there were some serious studies carried out a few years ago about how toxic these pitches are...hydrocarbons, mercury ,lead and all sorts of other chemicals which give rise to cancer?!...why are we allowing our youths to be exposed to these elements??..oh, yes commercial viability should always be ahead of health?!!

f**k up you Helen Lovejoy grasswanker.

Craig Bryson was interviewed on Alba yesterday and asked about his reasons for coming back to Scotland. Without being asked he suggested that plastic pitches shouldn’t be allowed. Made me think that he might have had alternative offers and the pitch put him off. Even if not, I’m sure that the plastic pitch clubs will probably miss out on the odd player who wants to play on grass.

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Craig Bryson was interviewed on Alba yesterday and asked about his reasons for coming back to Scotland. Without being asked he suggested that plastic pitches shouldn’t be allowed. Made me think that he might have had alternative offers and the pitch put him off. Even if not, I’m sure that the plastic pitch clubs will probably miss out on the odd player who wants to play on grass.

Think most Killie fans were disappointed when he didn’t sign for us as it was often mooted that he might have done so . The same can be said of Naismith . Our pitch definitely puts players off from signing IMO 

12 hours ago, Forfinn said:

I've played on both Accies and Livi's pitches. They're fine.

12 hours ago, Empty It said:
12 hours ago, Forfinn said:
I've played on both Accies and Livi's pitches. They're fine.

Second this, played on both and dont see any issue with either.

Less of this type of post, please; it’s not the first time I’ve had to read this.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's worth bringing up at this point that the pitch at Celtic Park is a hybrid one.

So have Rangers, apparently.

Injuries are so rare on artificial surfaces that when one does happen, it is highlighted all over the media and the pitch gets the blame to suit the agenda. Injuries on grass pitches are so common that no mention of the surface when they occur. Some folk can’t live with progress though.

21 hours ago, jinky said:

That the extent of your contribution?...obviously limited verbal dexterity...lol

It's all your statement deserves tbh. The hypothesised cancer link is the most remote and ludicrously overblown of all the clichéd accusations that surround artificial surfaces. Bonus points for the "think of the children" inclusion. 

Risks are completely negligible when compared to heading the ball, or in fact with making your way to the ground, but obviously that doesn't tend to gain the same traction. 

Here's some evidence: I have only ever sprained my ankle on astro, whereas I've broken both (one each) on grass and a hard court. So long as professional clubs steer clear of budget council facilities and fill in rabbit holes promptly they should be OK, astro or not. 

I've been lucky enough to play on Livis pitch and as a fat, overweight b*****d with bad knees, it was the best surface I have ever played on.
Whereas I would normally have aches and pains for days afterward, I was perfectly fine.

On 04/08/2019 at 21:21, mart1 said:
On 04/08/2019 at 21:17, craigkillie said:
And Killie have finished 5th and 3rd in the last two seasons while Motherwell have finished 7th and 8th, so it's clear who have "managed the cash" better.

Fair point. Well played. What would you prefer though?

If the choice is 3rd and 5th on plastic or 7th and 8th on grass I will take the 3rd/5th plastic option every single time.

3 hours ago, Livilegends said:

You can’t beat grass - nothing more to say

Dunno, I've never smoked astro.

5 hours ago, the west curve said:

Injuries are so rare on artificial surfaces that when one does happen, it is highlighted all over the media and the pitch gets the blame to suit the agenda. Injuries on grass pitches are so common that no mention of the surface when they occur. Some folk can’t live with progress though.

And the players who have had injuries playing on grass are the ones that moan about having to play on astro, saying it gives them aches and pains due to previous injuries.:wacko:

Could be worse could look like Tynecastle.

Easy to slag off an artificial pitch in August..........but let's compare Tynecastle to Livi, Killie or Accies on Saturday or in winter.

Killie probably dont help themselves by not watering on sunday but when Hearts left the grass long v Celtic we all (well most of us) laughed. It's the same thing. 

If you can use an advantage that's accepted in the rules your be mad to not be using it. 

Scotland needs to tighten up on pitch preparation rules to present a better overall product, aesthetics matter more than play ability these days I'm afraid and the more we serve up sub standard natural the  more your see artificial pitches.

That's ignoring the huge benefits that no external training facility cost and the CAS system bring.

NB........................more rubber dust and particles introduced into the environment from car tyres on your average journey than from a artifical field, that's more a micro plastics issue but evening putting that aside.. There are more chemicals linked to cancer in higer volumes in a single condom than in an artificial  pitch.

FIFAPro did a  study  comparing injures on grass and artificial pitches and found 

1) football on artificial turf does not produces any more injuries than football on normal grass, there are however some differences in the nature of the injuries. 

2) the transition from artificial turf to natural grass, and vice versa, does produce an increased risk. 

From research into injuries on artificial turf and natural grass it appears that, if anything, the chance of injuries on natural grass is even greater. Especially the risk of muscular injuries is greater on natural grass. 

On the other hand the chance of so called ligament injuries is somewhat greater on artificial turf. 

That is not caused so much by the number of knee injuries, that is the same on both artificial turf and natural grass, but the difference is caused by an increased risk of ankle injuries on artificial turf.

Field Turf done studies comparing their product to grass pitches for both football and rugby and found. 

soccer_safety_guy_1194x1080-en-151182280

soccer_safety_girl_1153x1080-en-15118228

rugby_performance_1037x1080-en-151076885

12 hours ago, ajwffc said:

FIFAPro did a  study  comparing injures on grass and artificial pitches and found 

1) football on artificial turf does not produces any more injuries than football on normal grass, there are however some differences in the nature of the injuries. 

2) the transition from artificial turf to natural grass, and vice versa, does produce an increased risk. 

From research into injuries on artificial turf and natural grass it appears that, if anything, the chance of injuries on natural grass is even greater. Especially the risk of muscular injuries is greater on natural grass. 

On the other hand the chance of so called ligament injuries is somewhat greater on artificial turf. 

That is not caused so much by the number of knee injuries, that is the same on both artificial turf and natural grass, but the difference is caused by an increased risk of ankle injuries on artificial turf.

Field Turf done studies comparing their product to grass pitches for both football and rugby and found. 

soccer_safety_guy_1194x1080-en-151182280

soccer_safety_girl_1153x1080-en-15118228

rugby_performance_1037x1080-en-151076885

Aye but Biscuits has never seen a good game on astro.