Artificial Pitches. . . .Need to go!

If you're team is piss on a plastic pitch it's because your team is piss

You're talking pish.
Nothing to do with injuries, it's a different game to watch on artificial pitches, and less enjoyable to watch.  Personal opinion, obviously.
Can you explain why:
1. The vast majority of professional players, coaches and managers prefer grass pitches?
2. So very few of the top clubs throughout Europe play on artificial pitches?

No offence, but I think there's more value in the opinion of people involved in the sport  than some daftie on the internet who's a bit full of his own opinion. Fact.

22 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

For the same reason that those fans of clubs with Tesco pitches take any criticism of their wonder surface personally?

Yeah we should just agree with the pish the fans that don't like 'plastic pitches', or don't even know what they're talking about, or we're taking it personally, case closed then eh. :lol:

Everything sensible on the subject has been covered in other threads about this nonsense, all the preconceived nonsense has been debunked, the pros and cons have been covered, basically it goes...…….good grass pitches-good artificial pitches-bad grass pitches-bad artificial pitches. Then the winter months come into it and grass pitches deteriorate, everything that is being said now is just regurgitated pish.

Some folk will just not accept that though and will bore us to death with their guff on 'plastic pitches' must go.  

On 19/09/2019 at 23:02, PauloPerth said:

1. The vast majority of professional players, coaches and managers prefer grass pitches?

2. So very few of the top clubs throughout Europe play on artificial pitches?

If we're being pedantic, theres plenty of "top clubs" who dont use a grass pitch, either. 

Hybrid pitches are the one of choice, while its predominantly grass it's still technically classed as artificial as it's not pure grass.

Barcelona, both Milan sides, Liverpool, PSG, both Manchester sides, Arsenal, Ajax and Wembley all have an "artificial surface" installed.

Would I be right in claiming grass pitches are awful and dont encourage good football because "some of the biggest clubs in the world dont use a grass pitch"?

Serious question

If all the fans of clubs with artificial pitches (I'm talking Accies/Livi/Killie) were to be approached by a mysterious benefactor offering to install a state of the art grass pitch for nothing, would you take up the offer or stick with what you've got and I mean purely because you prefer watching your team playing on it and not income generation etc

Serious question
If all the fans of clubs with artificial pitches (I'm talking Accies/Livi/Killie) were to be approached by a mysterious benefactor offering to install a state of the art grass pitch for nothing, would you take up the offer or stick with what you've got and I mean purely because you prefer watching your team playing on it and not income generation etc
I do enjoy the fist shaking seethe it generates from away supporters but seriously....its given us a whole season without a postponement due to weather, it's better than our previous tattie field and it's a great community tool and I get to play on it weekly. Plus, if there's a chance we have the slightest advantage playing on it then it's a positive, as much as any other home team has advantages in their own stadium. So...no. Id rather see the money invested elsewhere...like bringing back the youth set up.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If we're being pedantic, theres plenty of "top clubs" who dont use a grass pitch, either. 

Hybrid pitches are the one of choice, while its predominantly grass it's still technically classed as artificial as it's not pure grass.

Barcelona, both Milan sides, Liverpool, PSG, both Manchester sides, Arsenal, Ajax and Wembley all have an "artificial surface" installed.

Would I be right in claiming grass pitches are awful and dont encourage good football because "some of the biggest clubs in the world dont use a grass pitch"?

I initially put in my original post that I don't include hybrid pitches, but took it out to stop the post being too long.

Hybrid pitches are grass based, with artificial grass fibres mixed in, and are designed to replicate the look, feel, and performance of a natural grass pitch.  

I'd be surprised if anyone sees any difference in the way a hybrid pitch plays compared to a completely natural grass pitch, whereas would you say the same about the 4G types at the likes of Killie, Livingston, Accies?

The County fan arguing for them said in 30 years everyone will be playing on artificial pitches. This might well be the case, and if they're all of a quality of the ones you cited then great.  Technology evolves, and one day it's bound to get identical to real grass in performance.

There seems to be this argument that people against grass pitches are just doing it out of tradition and are being dinosaurs.  My argument isn't against the principle of artificial pitches, it's against the ones we have in the top league currently. Great for training, youth teams, community stuff etc, but not yet close enough to grass to be used in the top league.

Artificial pitches first came out in the 1980's in U.K. football.  Stirling Albion up here and I think QPR and maybe Luton down south.  They were brutal, and made for a totally different game.  The 4G pitches we have now are obviously a massive advance on that, but all the arguments being put up in favour of artificial pitches are the same ones being used back then.  

On 21/09/2019 at 14:26, PauloPerth said:

to get identical to real grass in performance.

I wasn't aware that there were performance standards for grass pitches.  Can you enlighten me as to what these are and how every grass pitch is measured and the corrective actions that are taken should a pitch not meet the "real grass performance". 

Alternatively you could just acknowledge that there is no such thing in grass or artificial grass and that each pitch will be unique in how it plays.

On 21/09/2019 at 12:11, santheman said:

Serious question

If the grass pitch was to be maintained to the highest standard, through the winter, then I’d consider it.

I’d rather not have a guff pitch in winter and/or postponements.

• 2 weeks later...