Artificial Pitches. . . .Need to go!

21 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think the stats are slightly skewed by managers not playing players with a history of injuries on the pitches tbh. I can remember Rodgers avoiding playing Simunovic on it and Tommy Wright not playing Stevie McLean on them. Personally having played on them I do think you are more likely to pick up an injury as you feel it in your joints more after than a standard pitch but they are hardly ambulance traps at the same time.

Stevie McLean who subsequently signed for Raith playing on an artificial pitch with no change in his fitness. Most of the time, the opinions against them regarding injuries come from footballing dinosaurs.

Why do you all get wound up by plastic pitches? 

You’re all a bunch of fat middle aged wankers who couldn’t run 50 metres without taking a heart attack. What difference does it make to you what surface matches are played on? 

If it’s good enough for the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE then it’s good enough for the scots premier division 

Edited by JD and associates

On 30/10/2022 at 08:33, true_rover said:

Stevie McLean who subsequently signed for Raith playing on an artificial pitch with no change in his fitness. Most of the time, the opinions against them regarding injuries come from footballing dinosaurs.

He played a total of 7 games for Raith.

13 hours ago, JD and associates said:

You’re all a bunch of fat middle aged wankers who couldn’t run 50 metres without taking a heart attack. What difference does it make to you what surface matches are played on? 

If it’s good enough for the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE then it’s good enough for the scots premier division 

Don’t cry.

15 hours ago, JD and associates said:

I don't, and neither do a significant number of members of the forum.

The only person coming across as "wound up" is you.

On 29/10/2022 at 11:50, gannonball said:

I think the stats are slightly skewed by managers not playing players with a history of injuries on the pitches tbh. I can remember Rodgers avoiding playing Simunovic on it and Tommy Wright not playing Stevie McLean on them. Personally having played on them I do think you are more likely to pick up an injury as you feel it in your joints more after than a standard pitch but they are hardly ambulance traps at the same time.

That's only opposition managers, erring on the side of caution.

Then you see them saying if you aren't playing on them all the time (by that it must be almost every other game because plastic pitch team don't play every game at home and are also playing on grass pitches), it affects you more just occasionally playing on them, even though most teams train on plastic pitches. Again though they then say training on them is fine, it's only when you play on them for real it affects your joints, however you see injuries in training too, so it isn't all light jogging with no intensity.

It's almost like managers and players have entrenched preconceived views, and the more they say it, the more they think it's true.

41 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Surely anyone who's played football at any level can tell there's a big difference?

You don't need to have played to know there's a difference. I've never heard anyone say otherwise. It is whether they should be considered acceptable to play professional football on, which they clearly are.

But then this brings us again to there being significant differences between grass pitches, especially in winter when you can get some pretty cut up ones if the weather is particularly unfavourable.

Clubs here don't have the money to keep their pitches in top condition all year round. Top clubs don't need the extra revenue artifical pitches bring.

• 1 year later...