Artificial Pitches. . . .Need to go!

To be fair, I'm not sure a report carried out by a company which is trying to sell artificial pitches can be considered impartial.
True but they do most of their business in the US. So the stats will probably be accurate to avoid any potential legal problems.

I've always thought clubs should only receive 75% of the prize money that their league position merits. This would encourage more clubs to keep their grass pitch. Most if not all pros want to play on grass

I've always thought clubs should only receive 75% of the prize money that their league position merits. This would encourage more clubs to keep their grass pitch. Most if not all pros want to play on grass
How would taking away 25% of the prize money from every club in the league encourage this?

8 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

Most if not all pros want to play on grass

Most if not all 'pros' have got a sub-100 IQ and will end up selling Herbalife products before they're 40. Their views can be safely filed in the bin where they belong then. 

On 08/08/2019 at 02:44, ajwffc said:
On 07/08/2019 at 13:24, craigkillie said:
To be fair, I'm not sure a report carried out by a company which is trying to sell artificial pitches can be considered impartial.

True but they do most of their business in the US. So the stats will probably be accurate to avoid any potential legal problems.

American companies are well known for their honesty...

I am usually not on the side of the football dinosaur but this is my one old style Talksportesque view.

I just hate astroturf pitches. Granted they are likely not of the same calibre but there are two teams in the North region Juniors who have them and I strongly dislike playing on them, as do most of my team mates.

I completely understand them, why clubs use them, why they are so great for communities etc but if you gave me a choice to play or watch a game on an Astro or grass I would go grass every time.

However if you gave me a choice between struggling Scottish clubs surviving or not surviving due to not being allowed an Astroturf I would clearly allow them that resource.

Edited by ScottishZizou

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Old Firm matches should be played on a pitch made of nails, broken glass and contaminated syringes.

By importing the living room carpets of their fans on top of the grass?

On 12/08/2019 at 09:09, craigkillie said:
On 12/08/2019 at 06:00, BIG BEN said:

How would taking away 25% of the prize money from every club in the league encourage this?

I think the point is you only receive 75% IF you have a plastic pitch.    it's not a bad idea either,

Edited by jaybeee
further thought

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

I am usually not on the side of the football dinosaur but this is my one old style Talksportesque view.

I just hate astroturf pitches. Granted they are likely not of the same calibre but there are two teams in the North region Juniors who have them and I strongly dislike playing on them, as do most of my team mates.

I completely understand them, why clubs use them, why they are so great for communities etc but if you gave me a choice to play or watch a game on an Astro or grass I would go grass every time.

However if you gave me a choice between struggling Scottish clubs surviving or not surviving due to not being allowed an Astroturf I would clearly allow them that resource.

This is an absolutely valid point and I agree and support it wholeheartedly..................... but NOT in the premier league, makes us look like a bunch of amateurs.

16 hours ago, jaybeee said:

This is an absolutely valid point and I agree and support it wholeheartedly..................... but NOT in the premier league, makes us look like a bunch of amateurs.

The Bundesliga in Germany are considering a move to have all clubs playing on the same artificial surfaces. Not moving with technology is what is amateurish. 

21 hours ago, jaybeee said:

How much do you think it would cost a club with a plastic pitch who got promoted to rip it out and install a new grass pitch if that was a rule in the top league? Just to potentially be dumped out the top flight again in 12 months, by which time they've lost their lovely community resource that generates income for them. 

Even if there was a good reason to specify grass pitches (which there is not) it would be impossible to have different specifications for different leagues. They'd need to be banned across the board. 

I'm genuinely shocked that artificial pitches are even a discussion point. There is no evidence that the quality of play is any different. There IS evidence that injury incidence is at worst a wash. Theres overwhelming evidence that they are beneficial for communities and smaller clubs. Why are we even debating it?