Round 1 of 2 of the El Plastico Derby- Accies v Killie

Guest Moomintroll

Top 6. Easy.
Under the cosh for large parts of the game but I didn't feel that Killie threatened our goal too much. Obviously a very different side from the Clarke days (in terms of tactics/attitude anyway) but they'll be nowhere near danger this season. Some quality players in that squad.
Madden is some ref, eh? Some bizarre decisions throughout and I thought Oakley had a stonewall penalty denied. Happy to be proved wrong if footage shows otherwise however.
Good support through from Killie. Just less of the songs about paedophiles and 'black b*****ds' please.

Totally agree with the last sentence, our support need to let that song go, or change that word. The paedo thing is unacceptable as well, I honestly thought there was something dodgy about the CQN keeper but unless someone can tell me otherwise it just seemed to be #ladsbantz. Not funny or clever, some elements of our fanbase need to grow up quickly.

Guest Moomintroll
Yasssss.
Took longer than I expected, but there you go.
More of this kind of thing please.
More supporters on here than in the actual stadium, something about Brogan & something about Rodger's massive fiveheid etc, etc. Sorry, my heart isn't in it today because of a spectacular hangover & Killie, who are the cause of my spectacular hangover

7 hours ago, killie_lad said:

Could be worse, could be Hamilton that will always take an average of 3 fans to a game

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
Yasssss.
Took longer than I expected, but there you go.
More of this kind of thing please.

More supporters on here than in the actual stadium, something about Brogan & something about Rodger's massive fiveheid etc, etc. Sorry, my heart isn't in it today because of a spectacular hangover & Killie, who are the cause of my spectacular hangover

4 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Good to see the Hamilton fans celebrating beating a big team , can’t have happened too often 

AA is driving me to drink ....

tenor.gif?itemid=9836552

Edited by Bert Raccoon

Lovely finish for the opener.  Hamilton looked decent in this game from the highlight pack.  Killie's finishing was pretty woeful though.  

That red was a good call, don't f**k with Canadian players 

Edited by senorsoupe

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 01:25, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's mental how folk try and justify this an "Ayrshire thing", like it makes sense that one small pocket of Scotland is still blissfully unaware of the racial connotations about 150 years after the rest of the world.

Context is key, the song has no racial connotations.

This is a subject that has been long debated on kickback, and I'm sort of caught between opinions on it.  It betrays a real lack of understanding of the whole subject of racism to reduce the matter down to a series of "banned phrases", but this is of course a prevailing outlook among those with little real interest in challenging racism at source and who instead eagerly look forward to the next scapegoat. 

The extent to which one is responsible for the kind of deliberate misinterpretation that you've just exemplified is a matter for debate though, and genuinely I'm not sure what side of the line I fall on.  A classic example is the ongoing "debate" over the use of the word "niggardly" in the U.S - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_niggardly).  Now, if this song was to make a more sustained appearance in games where we were playing against a team (like last Sunday) with a number of black players then there would be an argument to state that this completely innocuous song was being used as a racial epithet - and if so, I'd be disgusted by it - but in my experience, this doesn't tend to happen.  Again, if Ayr had a substantially higher black population than Kilmarnock, or the national average, deplorable - but as far as I know, this is not the case.

Similarly, if the song was to be sung in a supposedly innocuous context by a support with a reputation for attacking black players with racist abuse - again, that's a different matter.  I don't, and perhaps this is complacency, think that Killie have that kind of reputation.  Aside from a single, and pretty unedifying incident where St Johnstone arrived with two black players, and both ended up getting booed by the home crowd en masse because of the actions of Nigel Hasselbaink - the only instance of a semi-racist nature was when a geriatric fellow supporter breathlessly told my Father that he'd "love it if we had a player like the wee darkie" in an admiring, but ultimately misguided review of Rod Wallace.

Would I, jokingly or otherwise, refer to someone in my daily life as a "black b*****d" or a "blacko" for being a bit clatty - well y'know probably not, but I honestly don't know if that's because I'm concerned about being misinterpreted, or simply because I don't tend to talk like that.  Again, I don't sing the song - but that's perhaps more because I'm the unusual breed of Killie fan who actually has a wee affection for our county cousins.

18 minutes ago, Estragon said:

This is a subject that has been long debated on kickback, and I'm sort of caught between opinions on it.  It betrays a real lack of understanding of the whole subject of racism to reduce the matter down to a series of "banned phrases", but this is of course a prevailing outlook among those with little real interest in challenging racism at source and who instead eagerly look forward to the next scapegoat. 

The extent to which one is responsible for the kind of deliberate misinterpretation that you've just exemplified is a matter for debate though, and genuinely I'm not sure what side of the line I fall on.  A classic example is the ongoing "debate" over the use of the word "niggardly" in the U.S - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_niggardly).  Now, if this song was to make a more sustained appearance in games where we were playing against a team (like last Sunday) with a number of black players then there would be an argument to state that this completely innocuous song was being used as a racial epithet - and if so, I'd be disgusted by it - but in my experience, this doesn't tend to happen.  Again, if Ayr had a substantially higher black population than Kilmarnock, or the national average, deplorable - but as far as I know, this is not the case.

Similarly, if the song was to be sung in a supposedly innocuous context by a support with a reputation for attacking black players with racist abuse - again, that's a different matter.  I don't, and perhaps this is complacency, think that Killie have that kind of reputation.  Aside from a single, and pretty unedifying incident where St Johnstone arrived with two black players, and both ended up getting booed by the home crowd en masse because of the actions of Nigel Hasselbaink - the only instance of a semi-racist nature was when a geriatric fellow supporter breathlessly told my Father that he'd "love it if we had a player like the wee darkie" in an admiring, but ultimately misguided review of Rod Wallace.

Would I, jokingly or otherwise, refer to someone in my daily life as a "black b*****d" or a "blacko" for being a bit clatty - well y'know probably not, but I honestly don't know if that's because I'm concerned about being misinterpreted, or simply because I don't tend to talk like that.  Again, I don't sing the song - but that's perhaps more because I'm the unusual breed of Killie fan who actually has a wee affection for our county cousins.

Language and its uses move on - and to the average English league 2 jobber that our teams sign, in Scotland for the first time - upon hearing songs about "Black b*****ds" their reaction is unlikely to be  "Ah, must be about personal hygiene".  If it was in our songbook, I'd be for retiring it gracefully - but then Lanarkshire is a famous hotbed of political correctness and progressiveness :)

Oh - and the debate about "niggardly" is hilarious as it's a word that had died out anyway and is really being used as a proxy for "PC gone mad" type drivel from people who had never heard of it. Next time we're at RP, I'll make sure I complain in the match thread about the niggardly legroom on offer in the Chadwick Stand...

On 12/08/2019 at 09:39, Estragon said:

The words are embarrassing. Let's leave it and it's connotations behind. 

9 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

The words are embarrassing. Let's leave it and it's connotations behind. 

Fair enough, so how do we enforce this?  Other than a personal decision not to sing it, I'm not willing to do anything.

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

Fair enough, so how do we enforce this?  Other than a personal decision not to sing it, I'm not willing to do anything.

I had no intention of anyone enforcing it; I already see a big decrease in fans singing those words at home games, due to the connotations. It'll die sooner rather than later.