Scotland's Shame

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because the natures of the separations are very different.

Ethno-nationalism and religious separatism are pretty damned similar, both are endorsed by the current Scottish administration and both stink.  As I said in my original post, both involve building fences between people.  Literally, in the case of schools in Scotland.

Ethno-nationalism and religious separatism are pretty damned similar, both are endorsed by the current Scottish administration and both stink.  As I said in my original post, both involve building fences between people.  Literally, in the case of schools in Scotland.

Clown

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm no bigger a fan of separate schooling than you are. As you know though, such a set up was not inaugurated by the current administration.

It's a situation they inherited, that belongs to a bygone era.  Not unlike the Union in some respects.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm no bigger a fan of separate schooling than you are. As you know though, such a set up was not inaugurated by the current administration.

It's a situation they inherited, that belongs to a bygone era.  Not unlike the Union in some respects.

Of course it is not of their creation but, 10 years in, you'd expect them to address it but they won't as it's part of their separatist mindset to keep it going.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Of course it is not of their creation but, 10 years in, you'd expect them to address it but they won't as it's part of their separatist mindset to keep it going.

They know it would be politically difficult to address, as have previous administrations, both pre and post devolution.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They know it would be politically difficult to address, as have previous administrations, both pre and post devolution.

Addressing the issue of the Union is politically difficult but they manage that no bother.

3 minutes ago, Tractor said:

Very interested in the financials here.  

I'd be in favour of scrapping autonomous religious schools but I doubt there would be any fiscal advantage for decades, and rather costly in the short-to-medium term.  

The financials are worth mentioning in so far as it certainly costs more to have separate schooling.  The most significant point is that Holyrood should not be in the business of building walls between weans and in promoting any religious ideology. 

The most obscene act of education policy in Scotland in recent years is the notion of shared campuses.  That it is still being proposed is shameful.

30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Why?  This current Holyrood admin is committed to dealing with thorny issues.  Why not address one that is a societal blight and a fiscal drain?

Surely unionist parties like the Tories, also oversee the provision of state funded religious schools in other parts of the UK?  

That's what makes this attempt you're making at drawing a parallel, decidedly flimsy.

49 minutes ago, Tractor said:

Said the poster who made a choice to support a club that discriminated against catholics.   

That is okay in their eyes though. They can have a discussion about anti racism( in support of it of course), then seemingly say “F***** b*****d” in the next thread  - see FollowFollow or that Bears Den. 
To me sectarianism and racism are the same thing but you swap skin colour for religion.

Edited by NFL12

20 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Think that was addressed in 2012. 

13 minutes ago, NFL12 said:

That is okay in their eyes though. They can have a discussion about anti racism( in support of it of course), then seemingly say “F***** b*****d” in the next thread  - see FollowFollow or that Bears Den. 

12 minutes ago, Tractor said:

Your club was delighted the offensive football act was scrapped so you could re-start the Ibrox songbook of religious hatred.   

Imagine thinking that me proponing the idea of secular schools had something to do with Rangers.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, I'm using the 'allowing separate schools is not in any way related to a stance on the question of the Union' argument.

Then, as all of our discussions end up with angels on a pin head reductio ad absurdum, we're best parking it.

Meanwhile your diddy pals continue to rage about Rangers.