Scotland's Shame

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Congratulations on achieving the highest cliche-count per paragraph in the whole of 2019.  Well done, too, in missing the point - though this is unsurprising.

The P&B diddies often refer to religion wrt to Rangers yet the Rangers fans on here almost never do.  Now I know the collective 'you' truly believe that your shite doesn't smell but it would be nice to get a response to this.  

I'll respond, and largely agree with you.

The Rangers fans on here are generally pretty decent sorts.  There are exceptions, but I think that usually holds true and isn't just a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

That however means that confining any analysis to supporters on here, is really flimsy.  This is hostile territory for Rangers fans, and there are relatively few on here as a result.  

In terms of the discussion though, the bigotry absolutely exists and is a huge feature of the club's identity.  On Rangers' 'journey', I visited Ibrox several times to see Queens.  The songs sung, the banners displayed and the crap on sale outside all contribute to creating a pretty horrible feel.  That's not mythical - it's simply the case.

28 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Congratulations on achieving the highest cliche-count per paragraph in the whole of 2019.  Well done, too, in missing the point - though this is unsurprising.

The P&B diddies often refer to religion wrt to Rangers yet the Rangers fans on here almost never do.  Now I know the collective 'you' truly believe that your shite doesn't smell but it would be nice to get a response to this.  

If you mean I didn't address your fatuous point that the handful of "Rangers" fans here don't post on this site about religion, and that this is somehow proof that a sizeable proportion of their support aren't slavering, furious, anti-social bigots despite evidence to the contrary at every game, then yes, I did miss (disregard) that point - due to the small sample size which means that your argument is statistically insignificant and therefore irrelevant.

The thing about cliches is that they're usually true (I know, also a cliche...).  Your club has become a laughing stock for a thousand reasons; it's not my fault that they're repeated so often. Again - your use of the term "P&B diddies" is a faint echo of a time now long gone.  Your team is now firmly among the diddies, which makes this put-down seem quite silly.

Edited by VictorOnopko

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Again - your use of the term "P&B diddies" is a faint echo of a time now long gone.  Your team is now firmly among the diddies, which makes this put-down seem quite silly.

I wouldn't want OF fans to appropriate the "diddy" term. I don't see it as a put-down at all.  Embrace the diddiness.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

20 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

If you mean I didn't address your fatuous point that the handful of "Rangers" fans here don't post on this site about religion, and that this is somehow proof that a sizeable proportion of their support aren't slavering, furious, anti-social bigots despite evidence to the contrary at every game, then yes, I did miss (disregard) that point - due to the small sample size which means that your argument is statistically insignificant and therefore irrelevant.

The thing about cliches is that they're usually true (I know, also a cliche...).  Your club has become a laughing stock for a thousand reasons; it's not my fault that they're repeated so often. Again - your use of the term "P&B diddies" is a faint echo of a time now long gone.  Your team is now firmly among the diddies, which makes this put-down seem quite silly.

Take a wander over to 'the bear's den' and similar fan forums, to get a flavour of the type of fan that the outside world sees as representative of Rangers, in the same way that they see the green brigade stuff as representative of Celtic fans. By the way they aren't 'posting about religion' because they have passion for theology, it's religion and politics as identity that matters to them. 

Whether they are typical fans or not isn't really the issue, as that is the image that people have. And the clubs, for their own reasons, don't do anything to change this perception and on here the defence seems to be to flat out deny that it's a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Take a wander over to 'the bear's den' and similar fan forums, to get a flavour of the type of fan that the outside world sees as representative of Rangers, in the same way that they see the green brigade stuff as representative of Celtic fans. By the way they aren't 'posting about religion' because they have passion for theology, it's religion and politics as identity that matters to them. 

Whether they are typical fans or not isn't really the issue, as that is the image that people have. And the clubs, for their own reasons, don't do anything to change this perception and on here the defence seems to be to flat out deny that it's a problem. 

The extremes to be found on various sites aren't representative either, and I think it's important to recognise that.   Perception absolutely matters, but isn't the whole story.

I totally agree on the fact that the clubs don't address that though.  They don't disenfranchise the bigots, and that's deliberate.

The songs sung, the banners displayed and the crap on sale outside all contribute to creating a pretty horrible feel.  That's not mythical - it's simply the case.

This is it in a nutshell. Both of the Glasgow clubs pontificate about cleaning their own houses, but do nothing to stop the sale of outright bigoted tat outside their grounds, thereby turning a blind eye. Unfortunately, both clubs are too afraid to tackle it. Rangers 2012 had the perfect platform to end this nonsense once and for all when the new club was formed, but failed spectacularly.

8 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

If you mean I didn't address your fatuous point that the handful of "Rangers" fans here don't post on this site about religion

That, of course, was only one half of the equation.   I know it's tricky for you to keep two thoughts in your head at the same time but the other half was this:  The P&B diddies revel in raising the subject of religion wrt Rangers.  Why is this?  It can't possibly be based on what they hear from Rangers fans on here.

Mind you, the P&B diddies do have previous when it comes to prejudice - especially misogyny and xenophobia.  The Scotland vs England WWC match thread was absolutely vile.  Quite the worst thing I have ever read on a football forum.  "English bitches" and, "I hate the English" being two of the less extreme comments.

So if our own forum is any sort of guide - and it should be as it's our only common ground - then the suppurating wound of bigotry and prejudice within Scottish football lives healthily in Knotty Ash.

14 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

14 hours later, no response. Predictable. 

18 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I see some zombies are buying tickets for the home end for our game next week and then gloating about it online.

I hope their ticket flags up on our entry system and they are denied entry to the ground.

St Mirren fans buying tickets for a St Mirren game, what's the problem?

26 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I see some zombies are buying tickets for the home end for our game next week and then gloating about it online.

I hope their ticket flags up on our entry system and they are denied entry to the ground.

It's always handy to have a few of them scattered about amongst our support, it keeps the fly's off the good guy's..

7 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Apparently cheering on your own team against Celtic can be considered as anti catholic!!!

That's not what they've been saying though.

The accusation seems to be that they were singing songs with the word "******" in them.

That's not what they've been saying though.
The accusation seems to be that they were singing songs with the word "******" in them.

If it was the ‘cheer up Neil Lennon’ song then all the folk round me were singing ‘sad Celtic b######’ and not the F word. There was also the ‘Beado’ song which could be misheard.
I did hear the Jimmy Savile song once but I consider that to be sick as opposed to sectarian.