Scotland's Shame

On 01/01/2020 at 04:32, The_Kincardine said:

Very creepy indeed - though I'm struggling to think which is creepier:  The melt with the fleg or the existence of state-funded religious schools.  Almost certainly, the former.

Mind you, given that most posters on here want to build walls against the English it is entirely fitting that they have no issue with building walls between wee Catholic weans and wee non-denominational weans.  Welcome to the land of wall-building xenophobic arseholes.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The parallel is that of separation.  The current Scottish Gov wants to separate the country and also invests each year in separating groups of children from each other.  They are two facets of the same divisive mindset.

Pointing this out doesn't make me a bigot - though I know you know this.

The flags in my avatar lately have been of countries where Rangers players have connections.  Examples include St Lucia, Colombia, Croatia and, now, Northern Ireland.

Since Andy King has left we don't have a Welsh connection.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not really.  The same attitude shown in two policy areas by the same administration constitutes a connection.

I mentioned 'bigot' to save me replying to various other posters.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

So the desire for separation in two aspect by the same organisation is not the same attitude?  How does that work?

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Ethno-nationalism and religious separatism are pretty damned similar, both are endorsed by the current Scottish administration and both stink.  As I said in my original post, both involve building fences between people.  Literally, in the case of schools in Scotland.

Of course it is not of their creation but, 10 years in, you'd expect them to address it but they won't as it's part of their separatist mindset to keep it going.

Yeah.  Everyone who thinks weans should sit next to each other in school irrespective of their religion or none is a disgusting bigot.

Addressing the issue of the Union is politically difficult but they manage that no bother.

Sure...

Why?  This current Holyrood admin is committed to dealing with thorny issues.  Why not address one that is a societal blight and a fiscal drain?

The financials are worth mentioning in so far as it certainly costs more to have separate schooling.  The most significant point is that Holyrood should not be in the business of building walls between weans and in promoting any religious ideology. 

The most obscene act of education policy in Scotland in recent years is the notion of shared campuses.  That it is still being proposed is shameful.

42 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Astonished that you're using the two wrongs make a right argument.

28 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Imagine thinking that me proponing the idea of secular schools had something to do with Rangers.

17 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Then, as all of our discussions end up with angels on a pin head reductio ad absurdum, we're best parking it.

Meanwhile your diddy pals continue to rage about Rangers.

Ooft. 

This *** is definitely not OK

😂

Should an SNP Scottish government ever decide to remove faith based schools the very first type of c**t to go thermo-nuclear pearl-clutching about freedom of religion and discrimination will be British Nationalist dinosaurs like the DUP, the Conservative and Unionist party and their disgusting hangers-on like our usually-pickled-in-domestic- cleaning-products-for-want-of-a-nearby-Londis commentator here.

Given a blank page, of course we would not have "separate" schools.
As MT has already argued, this situation has been inherited by the current administration. Should we raise the history of education in Scotland from the seventeenth century to give the current debate some context? Thought not, The Kincardine, because it then becomes more difficult to score easy points, which is what you and your fellow one-or-two-generation-removed-Reformed-Church- adherents ( Rayngurs Men) like to do with regard to this issue.
And, seeing facile, unsupported assertions are de rigeur, I'm sure we agree that the first step to promoting equal opportunities in Scottish education and a more equitable society would be the closing of primarily private/Independent schools, whether they be called St. Aloysius or George Watson's.

6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Should an SNP Scottish government ever decide to remove faith based schools the very first type of c**t to go thermo-nuclear pearl-clutching about freedom of religion and discrimination will be British Nationalist dinosaurs like the DUP, the Conservative and Unionist party and their disgusting hangers-on like our usually-pickled-in-domestic- cleaning-products-for-want-of-a-nearby-Londis commentator here.

Utter nonsense, Tashybhoy.  Still, the toilet duck reference will appeal to the diddy horde.

You, of course, agree with me that the notion of state-funded religious schooling in Scotland is obscene.  So does the pompous git Jupe who has gone to the length of quoting 14 (fourteen) of my posts.  Such is the way of the diddies.

New Scotland (and I'm not averse to the idea as I have said hunners of times) has a massive opportunity to wipe the slate clean and declaim itself as a secular republic.  This would be innovative and refreshing and something I'd certainly buy in to.

All you do instead is rail against The English, The Tories and That Westminster.  Still, if you're dominated by grievance rather than vision then hell mend you.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yikes, I'd always given Kinky the benefit of the doubt as I'd no interest or knowledge of the topics that lead folk to label him a bigot but reading his comments on this thread since the turn of the year I almost pity him.

I don't think he's a bigot personally but he certainly likes to twist things to either apportion blame or conflate things with certain brands of politics he dislikes. I believe he knows fine well what he's doing too.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I don't think he's a bigot personally but he certainly likes to twist things to either apportion blame or conflate things with certain brands of politics he dislikes. I believe he knows fine well what he's doing too.

It's constant though. It's not like he does it on the odd day. Never understand why folk have the energy to constantly troll to that level.

It's why I left afc-chat. A lot of the chat there was out of order but easily avoided. Some gems among the shite but the constant of a vocal minority made the site unusable.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's constant though. It's not like he does it on the odd day. Never understand why folk have the energy to constantly troll to that level.

It's why I left afc-chat. A lot of the chat there was out of order but easily avoided. Some gems among the shite but the constant of a vocal minority made the site unusable.

I'm not sure how much of it is trolling, I think he really does hold some strong beliefs on this stuff. The blaming the SNP for religious schools is just a bi-product of that. Of course, there's an element of trolling given he knows P&B generally is so anti his own beliefs, so he likes to throw grenades.

I agree though, the forum is for actual football discussion, a laugh and the occasional dabble in other areas of the site. Not constant meaningless battles over nothing.

I used to browse AFC chat before I discovered P&B but no danger I'd have joined, it's a total echo chamber and pretty poisonous.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not sure how much of it is trolling, I think he really does hold some strong beliefs on this stuff.

I've always thought kinky is exercising his alter ego on here from somewhere in south Lanarkshire. 
I don't mind his views in fact we need that side of any debate and so does the yes movement probably about 10% of the right side of politics.
It's going to take decades to make cultural changes to Scottish society and if you look hard enough it's already started.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Yikes, I'd always given Kinky the benefit of the doubt as I'd no interest or knowledge of the topics that lead folk to label him a bigot but reading his comments on this thread since the turn of the year I almost pity him.

Suggesting that the government shouldn't be in the business of promoting religiously-segregated schooling is hardly contentious.  Suggesting that the Scottish Gov, elected on an agenda of division, is willfully ignoring this for its own aims, is hardly contentious either.  Raising these points doesn't make me a bigot.

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Suggesting that the government shouldn't be in the business of promoting religiously-segregated schooling is hardly contentious.  Suggesting that the Scottish Gov, elected on an agenda of division, is willfully ignoring this for its own aims, is hardly contentious either.  Raising these points doesn't make me a bigot.

It's the settled will of the Scottish people.

So simmer down.

38 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's the football section of the football forum.

Utter nonsense, Tashybhoy.  Still, the toilet duck reference will appeal to the diddy horde.
You, of course, agree with me that the notion of state-funded religious schooling in Scotland is obscene.  So does the pompous git Jupe who has gone to the length of quoting 14 (fourteen) of my posts.  Such is the way of the diddies.
New Scotland (and I'm not averse to the idea as I have said hunners of times) has a massive opportunity to wipe the slate clean and declaim itself as a secular republic.  This would be innovative and refreshing and something I'd certainly buy in to.
All you do instead is rail against The English, The Tories and That Westminster.  Still, if you're dominated by grievance rather than vision then hell mend you.

‘Going for 55’ type post.