Scotland's Shame

Not sure if you watched it, but that Patrick Kielty did a programme about the troubles a few months back. At the end he went to a school and spoke about it, the kids didn't seem to give a f**k what religion their mates were, didn't bother them whatsoever. 
It's a shame that in 2019 in Scotland, we are still miles off anything like that. 

It’s a great watch. Very sad and very interesting too. I must hold my hands up and admit I never appreciated the impact of people being released from prison in Ireland as part of the good Friday agreement.

My wife’s best friends dad was shot by the UVF. He survived but in Scotland we just don’t understand the horror of what went on in Ireland not very long ago. Why people feel the need to glorify it just baffles me.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Haha. When he slaps about Mrs R tomorrow he has become the ultimate stereotype.

I expect you don't need the future tense for that one!

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Yet no mod will ever empty him somehow.

The mods always seem to have a couple of favourite trolls/spammers that they allow to get away with everything, to the detriment of the site. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

My wife’s best friends dad was shot by the UVF. He survived but in Scotland we just don’t understand the horror of what went on in Ireland not very long ago. Why people feel the need to glorify it just baffles me.

There was a video on a Saints historical twitter account a couple of days ago that showed a Saints v Celtic game at Muirton from  the 70s. The crowd were just a crowd watching a game with little sign of anything other than some scarves being worn. It was obviously in the days before the bigot brothers discovered selling sectarianism was a money spinner. 

Guest Moomintroll
The mods always seem to have a couple of favourite trolls/spammers that they allow to get away with everything, to the detriment of the site. 
I have sailed close to the wind a couple of times, not an excuse, but down to my issues that I have been honest about. It is his constant drip feed of shite & complete inability to acknowledge that the matching green jacket brigade are wrong to do what they do that gets my back up. I will no doubt be a snowflake now.

53 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Eh, no.

This would be the same thread that has repeatedly referenced the lawyers, doctors and other professional classes that apparently make up the majority of the OF fan base. Because the majority are normal and well-adjusted. Apparently. Can't have it both ways. 

Last time I was there Firhill was in Maryhill. It's fairly high on the multiple deprivation index.

But, and there's not really any other way of saying this, the most important factor here that a song whose entire purpose is to mock bigotry is, de facto, not bigoted. 

That said it should not be sung because the language is offensive. I don't mean that in a 'snowflake' way, but it's offensive in a way that has nothing to do with the football. 

I'm not on board with the whole thing about keeping the subject matter of songs to football. 

Non football stuff can be hilarious. Offensive stuff can be entertaining too. Needs light and shade though. 

The SFA  and SPFL wont and cant do anything because their whole business plan is built  arround the revenue and interest generated by the sectarian rivalry of those two clubs. They shat themselves when Rangers died and tried to shoehorn them straight back in.  The SNP   government wont do hee haw about it. They need the Celtic support on their side for the independence referendum.  There's a reason that our 1st minister has been outspoken on matters such as immigration,  gay marriage , social justice etc etc but has never stood up and said this shite has to end . Half the bloody MP ,s also follow these clubs as well.  There is no point banning orange and Republican  parades when 60,000 people are heading on  Saturdays to football grounds to spout the same bile

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
17 minutes ago, 7-2 said:
Full house...ageist and sexist as well as racist. 

Yet no mod will ever empty him somehow.

You should complain, maybe the mods might have missed all the ban worthy stuff I have posted in the past 6 and half years?

You'd be doing them a favour.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
11 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I have sailed close to the wind a couple of times, not an excuse, but down to my issues that I have been honest about. It is his constant drip feed of shite & complete inability to acknowledge that the matching green jacket brigade are wrong to do what they do that gets my back up. I will no doubt be a snowflake now.

You're nowhere near a troll/spammer. Just a regular posted I'd say.  Trolls will never give you what you want and will always say the opposite simply because it's what they do. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Half the bloody MP ,s also follow these clubs as well.  

Nail. Head.

Guest Moomintroll
You should complain, maybe the mods might have missed all the ban worthy stuff I have posted in the past 6 and half years?
You'd be doing them a favour.
It will be for the best if we mutually agree to stick each other on ignore. It isn't white knighting ( I know no one has said it, but I sense it is coming) when random posters tear into you as has happened over the last 30 minutes, but it should be a reality check that your content is not acceptable to normal, non bigoted & unindoctrinated human beings.

It’s a great watch. Very sad and very interesting too. I must hold my hands up and admit I never appreciated the impact of people being released from prison in Ireland as part of the good Friday agreement.

I’ve already posted this is in the TV forum ......last week BBC2 had a documentary “Peter Taylor-My Journey Through The Troubles”.
A very interesting watch, especially for those who weren’t around/ were too young to realise what was going on back then. It’s on iPlayer and I’d highly recommend a viewing.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Copying Kinky's patter.

Two cheeks one arse indeed. 

Yes, we're back to that strange irony whereby Celtic fans tend to see themselves as wildly different from Rangers fans.

Meanwhile, the rest of us struggle to distinguish between them.

There's definitely a difference MT, but Celtic are far from innocent in this whole charade.

Yes, we're back to that strange irony whereby Celtic fans tend to see themselves as wildly different from Rangers fans.
Meanwhile, the rest of us struggle to distinguish between them.

It takes a certain amount of courage and moral fibre to admit to the failings of your fellow supporters. OF fans simply don't possess it. Presumably that's why they support the OF in the first place.

25 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'm not on board with the whole thing about keeping the subject matter of songs to football. 

Non football stuff can be hilarious. Offensive stuff can be entertaining too. Needs light and shade though. 

Fair enough. I agree. Paedo stuff and songs about players families crosses the line for me but appreciate its a different scenario compared to inciting violence based on religion or politics. 

Fair enough. I agree. Paedo stuff and songs about players families crosses the line for me but appreciate its a different scenario compared to inciting violence based on religion or politics. 
I agree that paedo stuff can get in the sea with the sectarianism. But there's always other weird stuff that can be very funny.