Scotland's Shame

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

This has been no ordinary week in the build up to an Old Firm game. Sunday is going to be an absolute shit fest all over the country, even more than usual.

Thus proving beyond doubt sectarianism is indeed a Scottish problem, not an Old Firm one, while blatantly ignoring the common denominator causing it. 

9 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I see there was more trouble in Govan tonight with regards to an Irish march.

It's about time these marches and walks were banned from both sides. If you want to celebrate that sort of shite f**k off over to Ireland and do it, then see how long you last.

This has been no ordinary week in the build up to an Old Firm game. Sunday is going to be an absolute shit fest all over the country, even more than usual.

It'll be fine, unless those Hammarby louts turn up....

Guest Moomintroll
Agreed. Clinging on to divisions of the past has no place in a society that hopes to be united. Get all of these marches squarely in the fucking bin. 
Also agreed on Sundays game. Has shame game written all over it. 
The complete lack of action from the SFA after Sundays game is going to be equal parts hilarious to pathetic. UEFA should rightly shut us down but given their craven reaction to the racism endemic in Eastern Europe they cannot take the moral high ground.

4 hours ago, bennett said:

It's surely both.

Unless I'm being whooshed.

I don't think you're being whooshed unless you just don't know what sectarian means. 

Of course it's always possible that Partick have a big orthodox or coptic following that has eluded me for 43 years. 

I see there was more trouble in Govan tonight with regards to an Irish march.

It's about time these marches and walks were banned from both sides. If you want to celebrate that sort of shite f**k off over to Ireland and do it, then see how long you last.

The funny thing is my wife is from Belfast and she finds the ‘rivalry’ in Glasgow hilariously dumb.

13 hours ago, Romeo said:

I think this is the correct thread for this.Screenshot_20190830-190020_Twitter.jpeg

1. You would be wrong, since this thread is specifically about Glasgow's two big, bigoted clubs.  The song you highlight is sung by a small club which is against the bigotry on both sides of the Irish history divide which dogs Scottish football (although personally I can understand why its language is causing bother and feel it shouldn't be sung, even though it's clearly a wind-up - it's too easy to take at face value and use as a false equivalence to the fans it attacks).

2. Here's a deal for you - why not start a new thread with all the examples of  "diddiness, scummery and outright bigotry from teams outside the two cheeks of the Old Filth." so this one can stay on topic.  See how much material there is compared to this thread.  It'll save you from the terrible dose of whataboutery you are suffering from which means you seem very reluctant to admit that Celtic fans ever do anything wrong - "it's all Swedish fans/police's fault/Partick Thistle are just as bad".

3. More importantly, how about your team's supporters stop singing a song directly glorifying murderous terrorists every week, and the other side stops their one which starts Hello? I'm sure Thistle fans would have far less reason to slag you both off if your "songbooks" weren't obsessed with Ireland and genuine, deep-rooted hatred? 

4. A section of Firhill is closed every week already (i.e. the Main Stand).  Not sure that closing a further section would make much difference...

Guest Moomintroll
1. You would be wrong, since this thread is specifically about Glasgow's two big, bigoted clubs.  The song you highlight is sung by a small club which is against the bigotry on both sides of the Irish history divide which dogs Scottish football (although personally I can understand why its language is causing bother and feel it shouldn't be sung, even though it's clearly a wind-up - it's too easy to take at face value and use as a false equivalence to the fans it attacks).
2. Here's a deal for you - why not start a new thread with all the examples of  "diddiness, scummery and outright bigotry from teams outside the two cheeks of the Old Filth." so this one can stay on topic.  See how much material there is compared to this thread.  It'll save you from the terrible dose of whataboutery you are suffering from which means you seem very reluctant to admit that Celtic fans ever do anything wrong - "it's all Swedish fans/police's fault/Partick Thistle are just as bad".
3. More importantly, how about your team's supporters stop singing a song directly glorifying murderous terrorists every week, and the other side stops their one which starts Hello? I'm sure Thistle fans would have far less reason to slag you both off if your "songbooks" weren't obsessed with Ireland and genuine, deep-rooted hatred? 
4. A section of Firhill is closed every week already (i.e. the Main Stand).  Not sure that closing a further section would make much difference...
There is no point trying, he is utterly indoctrinated & will either ignore you or spout some unrelated pish.

Basically old firm fans are seen as being working class, so they're big bad bigots who don't know any better.

While the Thistle fans are seen as being more middle class and are merely enjoying a bit of witty banter.

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The funny thing is my wife is from Belfast and she finds the ‘rivalry’ in Glasgow hilariously dumb.

I've always assumed that the vast majority of Irish/Northern Irish fans of both clubs dont involve themselves in the bigoted stuff and leave it to the Scots. 

I was in Belfast earlier this year. Theres a Celtic club shop in the middle of Belfast with no damage or anything on it. I didn't even see a single Rangers top at any point in that journey, and even when locals heard we were from Scotland they didn't even care to ask what club we supported.

Compare that to certain parts of Glasgow where, say, a Celtic shop in Govan would be destroyed, and every pub leads with the question of who you support before telling whether to stay or not.

Guest Moomintroll
Basically old firm fans are seen as being working class, so they're big bad bigots who don't know any better.
While the Thistle fans are seen as being more middle class and are merely enjoying a bit of witty banter.

Not really benny, they are just taking a wry look at the situation they find themselves in & finding humour in it. The bigots & terrorist glorifiers that make up the mythical "minority" of the supports of the other two mean every hate filled spittle that emenates from them when they are shouting FT P or Q, delete as applicable.

I've always assumed that the vast majority of Irish/Northern Irish fans of both clubs dont involve themselves in the bigoted stuff and leave it to the Scots. 
I was in Belfast earlier this year. Theres a Celtic club shop in the middle of Belfast with no damage or anything on it. I didn't even see a single Rangers top at any point in that journey, and even when locals heard we were from Scotland they didn't even care to ask what club we supported.
Compare that to certain parts of Glasgow where, say, a Celtic shop in Govan would be destroyed, and every pub leads with the question of who you support before telling whether to stay or not.

Nope, the vast majority of Ireland has moved on, both north and south. Don’t get me wrong, there is tension and division but it’s an older generation of people that are keeping it alive.

My wife grew up in Belfast and didn’t know anyone who gave a shit about Celtic or rangers. When I go to dons games against either of them I sometimes give her updates on what they’re singing and she finds it hilarious. “Fucking Bobby sands, why can’t they move on?” Was a particular stand out.

The fact is these people are insisting on bringing an issue to the fore which is utterly irrelevant these days. Modern Ireland wants nothing to do with this conflict so why on earth are these morons in Scotland trying to make it relevant on a weekly basis?

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nope, the vast majority of Ireland has moved on, both north and south. Don’t get me wrong, there is tension and division but it’s an older generation of people that are keeping it alive.

Not sure if you watched it, but that Patrick Kielty did a programme about the troubles a few months back. At the end he went to a school and spoke about it, the kids didn't seem to give a f**k what religion their mates were, didn't bother them whatsoever. 

It's a shame that in 2019 in Scotland, we are still miles off anything like that. 

Guest Moomintroll
An arranged marriage between the Pope and the Queen would sort out all of these problems IMO.
Laudable, but I have spotted a couple of flaws in that particular plan m9.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

I think that's an insult to the working class. 

Underclass dregs. 

Not sure if you watched it, but that Patrick Kielty did a programme about the troubles a few months back. At the end he went to a school and spoke about it, the kids didn't seem to give a f**k what religion their mates were, didn't bother them whatsoever. 
It's a shame that in 2019 in Scotland, we are still miles off anything like that. 

I have not seen it, I will watch it now.

Facebook for this pish.

Stop acting like a fucking auld woman.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Eh, no.

This would be the same thread that has repeatedly referenced the lawyers, doctors and other professional classes that apparently make up the majority of the OF fan base. Because the majority are normal and well-adjusted. Apparently. Can't have it both ways. 

Last time I was there Firhill was in Maryhill. It's fairly high on the multiple deprivation index.

But, and there's not really any other way of saying this, the most important factor here that a song whose entire purpose is to mock bigotry is, de facto, not bigoted. 

That said it should not be sung because the language is offensive. I don't mean that in a 'snowflake' way, but it's offensive in a way that has nothing to do with the football. 

Not sure about the Pope and the Queen in an arranged marriage, but certainly, as a young woman, the Queen was a definite wid’.... not sure if that kind of ‘fcuk the Queen’ talk is offensive though. Hard to know where to draw the line in 2019. 😀