Scotland's Shame

There's no point in even trying to have a reasonable conversation with fans of the cheeks when it comes to certain things. I have friends who are amongst the most intelligent people I've ever known, but the second anyone dares to say the slightest word against Celtic the green tinted specs come out and the conspiracy theories start. 

Another guy I know, a qualified lawyer, has completely fucked his career in favour of dedicating all his time to proving some kind of conspiracy against Celtic. He now works in a call centre and regularly references the referee that was sacked years ago for awarding and rescinding a penalty in a game that Celtic won comfortably anyway, but apparently this alone is irrefutable proof of said conspiracy. 

It's depressing as f**k, the sense of entitlement and knowing that both sets of fans will continue to do and say whatever they want without any fear of punishment from the shitebags that run our game

1 hour ago, d_t_b said:

Another guy I know, a qualified lawyer, has completely fucked his career in favour of dedicating all his time to proving some kind of conspiracy against Celtic. He now works in a call centre and regularly references the referee that was sacked years ago for awarding and rescinding a penalty in a game that Celtic won comfortably anyway, but apparently this alone is irrefutable proof of said conspiracy. 

That's fucking mental if true.

Killie fans have never used any secretarian word in any song. I suggest you need an ear test.

The point in question was about the tendency of supporters to excuse behaviour by supporters of the same team that they would condemn in other supporters. Be that sectarianism, racism, missiles, flares, pitch invasion or really bad haircuts there’s a natural tendency to give any available benefit of the doubt to people you feel that you share a common identity with. I’d suggest that nobody is absolutely immune to this but it’s particularly acute with the old firm  

There’s clearly mental trap one can fall into where you see attacks on your fellow supporters as personal attacks on you. It took me a while to understand that properly but these days I’ll just say that Hearts draw a wide and varied support from all walks of life and all sections of society including Edinburgh’s arsehole and bampot communities

On 09/08/2019 at 10:01, topcat(The most tip top) said:

So when are you changing your username to "IrishBuddie"

"IrishBhuddie", shirley?

Edited by Jacksgranda

7 hours ago, d_t_b said:

There's no point in even trying to have a reasonable conversation with fans of the cheeks when it comes to certain things. I have friends who are amongst the most intelligent people I've ever known, but the second anyone dares to say the slightest word against Celtic the green tinted specs come out and the conspiracy theories start. 

It's depressing as f**k, the sense of entitlement and knowing that both sets of fans will continue to do and say whatever they want without any fear of punishment from the shitebags that run our game

Depends what 'qualified lawyer' means. If he's on a 2:2 from a poor uni and can't get in a half decent firm, he'll be making more money and have better career options in the call centre tbh. 

Plus, if they are bought into Celtic conspiracy theories, that pretty much by definition says they aren't that smart. 

Although ... I do know someone who in all other aspects of life is clever, professional, successful, diligent and sharp. She genuinely believes the moon landings were faked and 9/11 was a conspiracy.

Some folk eh?

7 hours ago, d_t_b said:

IMG_20190715_183556.jpg

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

there’s a natural tendency to give any available benefit of the doubt to people you feel that you share a common identity with. I’d suggest that nobody is absolutely immune to this but it’s particularly acute with the old firm  

Some posts above the point was made that 'share a common identity with' is critical . The poster implied that he did not think that  simply supporting the same football team (Celtic) was a strong enough connection for him to have that 'common identity', so he was able to move on (St Mirren).

My view was that all the evidence I have seen from living in this country for more than half a century is that the 'common identity' for OF fans is first and foremost the religious, political and cultural heritage aspects which happen to align behind  a football team. For other fans, the football team itself doesn't carry any of that baggage. I think that's why what you say is 100% true. 

19 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Some posts above the point was made that 'share a common identity with' is critical . The poster implied that he did not think that  simply supporting the same football team (Celtic) was a strong enough connection for him to have that 'common identity', so he was able to move on (St Mirren).

My view was that all the evidence I have seen from living in this country for more than half a century is that the 'common identity' for OF fans is first and foremost the religious, political and cultural heritage aspects which happen to align behind  a football team. For other fans, the football team itself doesn't carry any of that baggage. I think that's why what you say is 100% true. 

Between my mates and work colleagues, I know quite a few green bigot fans. Whilst many of them fall into the category highlighted above, I know of at least five of them who are non-Catholic. One of my mates started supporting them because the rest of his family supported the blue bigots and he thought he'd be different, even though St.Mirren were his local team.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Between my mates and work colleagues, I know quite a few green bigot fans. Whilst many of them fall into the category highlighted above, I know of at least five of them who are non-Catholic. One of my mates started supporting them because the rest of his family supported the blue bigots and he thought he'd be different, even though St.Mirren were his local team.

Sure. And success attracts people too. In my time I've met literally hundreds of folk from all over the world (particularly SE Asia) who 'support' Man U, Liverpool, Barca etc etc. 

But there's a difference in my experience between 'non catholic' and 'protestant'. It's pretty rare to find someone from the west coast of Irish catholic extraction would follow 'Rangers'.  In the same way a staunch loyalist with a collection of royal crockery would be unlikely to be pitching up in Parkhead of a Saturday. 

When you hear the songs, see the banners and flags, go to the pubs etc it's pretty clear that the 'normals' who aren't part of the tribal set are probably a minority. For those folk (like your contrarian mate) I do wonder what's in it for them, and what they think of it all, when they're sitting at an OF game surrounded by sectarianism. What on earth do they get out of it?

42 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Sure. And success attracts people too. In my time I've met literally hundreds of folk from all over the world (particularly SE Asia) who 'support' Man U, Liverpool, Barca etc etc. 

But there's a difference in my experience between 'non catholic' and 'protestant'. It's pretty rare to find someone from the west coast of Irish catholic extraction would follow 'Rangers'.  In the same way a staunch loyalist with a collection of royal crockery would be unlikely to be pitching up in Parkhead of a Saturday. 

When you hear the songs, see the banners and flags, go to the pubs etc it's pretty clear that the 'normals' who aren't part of the tribal set are probably a minority. For those folk (like your contrarian mate) I do wonder what's in it for them, and what they think of it all, when they're sitting at an OF game surrounded by sectarianism. What on earth do they get out of it?

According to one of my former workmates, in the aforementioned category, he was there to watch the football and he just ignored all the other (sectarian and terrorist related) stuff. He was a bit of an arsehole, so I suggested that he was condoning that type of behaviour simply by attending matches. He didn't take too kindly to that.

A strange bunch indeed.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

What a smug and ignorant post this is.

If we take P&B as the benchmark - and it's right since that's where we all post - it is only the air-headed diddies like you who bang on about religion and shame on you.  You see it in the Rangers threads - lots of diddies making references to perceived religion of players but none of the Rangers supporters on here replying in kind.

So what is the real problem in Knotty Ash?  Why are you diddymen so obsessed about religion and why are you intent on projecting it on to Rangers fans?

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

So what is the real problem in Knotty Ash?  Why are you diddymen so obsessed about religion and why are you intent on projecting it on to Rangers fans?

I'll have a wee taste of that bait Kincy.

17861908_1469858863044778_5830223036153769090_n-960x600.jpg.0ea83b793f15098a7854b697039633e0.jpg

15 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If we take P&B as the benchmark - and it's right since that's where we all post - it is only the air-headed diddies like you who bang on about religion and shame on you.  You see it in the Rangers threads - lots of diddies making references to perceived religion of players but none of the Rangers supporters on here replying in kind.

9 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I'll have a wee taste of that bait Kincy.

The bit I emboldened is the real bait.  Not one of you will taste it, sadly.

Could have written that myself. My mate lived in Cross Stobbs in Barrhead, went to Barrhead High and because the majority of his year supported Rangers, he chose Celtic.

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

Considering attendance of church has been going down the toilet in Europe, do you really think Rangers fans genuinely care about these kind of stuff? I don't.

Its football fans being morons. They sing these songs because they have been doing it all their lives and don't know better.

Edited by thekorean

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

1) The main song sung at your ground at every match literally refers to wading in the blood of your religious enemies.

2) On this wonderful thread (I hope it lasts as long as "all the moments of diddiness, scummery and outright bigotry from the two cheeks of the Old Filth" do, as there has been, and will be, plenty to catalogue), it doesn't get much more diddyish than a "Rangers" fan accusing fans of any/all other clubs in Scotland of being diddies (for pointing out your fanbase's obvious religious hatred).  Your team, sir, have been the most banterful, diddyish, and laughable of all since you were parachuted into the bottom tier for a second chance at life and existence in 2012.  *insert pic of a man in a suit standing in a hedge in Luxemburg here*.  The sheer entitlement and anger which has accompanied "Rangers"' slow slither into the top league after the previous incarnation was closed down for financial doping has been quite something.  You have reached Celtic levels of paranoia and victimhood in the process - everyone's been out to get you, from the SFA to Dundee Yinited. Concomitant tear-stained statements by the thousand, boycotts, and a giant huff with the BBC. 

Embrace your own diddy status.  There's a thousand-page thread detailing it on this very site.

Congratulations on achieving the highest cliche-count per paragraph in the whole of 2019.  Well done, too, in missing the point - though this is unsurprising.

The P&B diddies often refer to religion wrt to Rangers yet the Rangers fans on here almost never do.  Now I know the collective 'you' truly believe that your shite doesn't smell but it would be nice to get a response to this.