Motherwell v Celtic

Bit of a bogey ground of late, three draws on our last three visits.

Hopefully NL resists the temptation to rotate/rest players in the middle of the Cluj tie, something BR did this time last year in between the AEK Athens ties when we went to Tynecastle...we lost both anyway 😕

Strongest side please for a team who always make it tough for us on their own ground.

3-1 Celtic with goals from Forrest, Eduoard and Christie. 

2-0  well Campbell and Gallagher with the goals. Plenty of Terrorist songs to fill the air and the ground staff to be kept busy after the game clearing up all the broken seats in the away end 
3rd post in, decent effort.

Anyway, 1 nil will do.

Christie from 70 from yards with his eyes shut whilst smoking a cigar .

Start of the season is a funny one; Are Celtic amazing? Are St Johnstone terrible? Are we good and struggled on a hot plastic pitch? Are we rubbish and looked good against pub teams?

Unlikely to know the answer to any of these on Saturday either tbh. As always, I'll be hoping we cheat our way to a win.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Start of the season is a funny one; Are Celtic amazing? Are St Johnstone terrible? 

Yesterday was a bit of both, we were excellent for the majority but St Johnstone were fucking terrible, I think Tommy Wright has hit the proverbial wall there and can see them finishing bottom three if not worse.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Yesterday was a bit of both, we were excellent for the majority but St Johnstone were fucking terrible, I think Tommy Wright has hit the proverbial wall there and can see them finishing bottom three if not worse.

I can guarantee they won't finish any worse than bottom three.

Mainly because that's fucking impossible.

26 minutes ago, MJC said:

An utter hammering on the cards here.

0-5

An honest question do you rate any of our players ?  Ok we weren't great yesterday I came up to watch the game yesterday and I thought the pitch scared the players but I think we will give Celtic a real good game next week. 

I wonder if Celtic's performance yesterday will influence Robinson's team selection.  Could we revert to three at the back for this one? We could easily bring in Hartley for one of the wingers (probably Ilic) and give Hylton a free role behind the no.9.  

If it keeps us in the game for 60/70mins, we'd have a few options off the bench to change things (Seedorf, Cole, Ilic). 

Gillespie

Gallagher Hartley Dunne

Tait Campbell Donnelly Polworth Carroll

Hylton

Long 

2-1 Motherwell. 92nd minute winner but no pitch invasion. 

1 hour ago, wellinwigan said:

An honest question do you rate any of our players ?  Ok we weren't great yesterday I came up to watch the game yesterday and I thought the pitch scared the players but I think we will give Celtic a real good game next week. 

I rate Gillespie and Gallagher, easily our two best players yesterday and without either, we would have been soundly beaten. As I've already said on here a couple of weeks back, I think Gallagher will prove to be an excellent signing for us. I also really rate Campbell, although he wasn't great yesterday but he's still a player and although young, James Scott has potential, though he's not ready to be a regular striker at this level.

As for the rest of the squad, Tait, Dunne and Polworth are decent players at this level and will do a job for us but the rest of the squad (excluding Turnbull and Tanner who I don't expect to play for us again) aren't up to much. I said on the Livingston match thread yesterday that even though it's early days, Hylton and Seedorf aren't good enough for this level and I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved wrong on that one, the same goes for Ilic. All in all, I have my concerns that yet again Robinson has failed in the transfer market this summer and we are in all probability looking at yet another turgid season.

14 hours ago, MJC said:

I rate Gillespie and Gallagher, easily our two best players yesterday and without either, we would have been soundly beaten. As I've already said on here a couple of weeks back, I think Gallagher will prove to be an excellent signing for us. I also really rate Campbell, although he wasn't great yesterday but he's still a player and although young, James Scott has potential, though he's not ready to be a regular striker at this level.

As for the rest of the squad, Tait, Dunne and Polworth are decent players at this level and will do a job for us but the rest of the squad (excluding Turnbull and Tanner who I don't expect to play for us again) aren't up to much. I said on the Livingston match thread yesterday that even though it's early days, Hylton and Seedorf aren't good enough for this level and I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved wrong on that one, the same goes for Ilic. All in all, I have my concerns that yet again Robinson has failed in the transfer market this summer and we are in all probability looking at yet another turgid season.

I think you'll be proven very wrong on Hylton and Ilic.

Seedorf I think will go on to be a very good player but probably not until long after he's left Fir Park. I think he's a bit too young and inexperienced to be able to fix it in a year/18 months. As young as they are/were, Campbell/Cadden/Turnbull etc seemed to arrive in the first team with a certain level of maturity to their play already in place. Seedorf is just a bit naive in his play at times.

For me Hylton and Ilic will be key members of the starting 11, whereas Seedorf will be in Robinsons "very talented boy but I can't rely on him to make the right decisions at the right times" category.