Dundee vs. Ayr United

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If you were to compare Forrest to McDaid then there's only ever going to be one winner. Forrest on Saturday was a prime example of a quick skilful direct player who carries an end product and also links up play very well where McDaid can all too often flatter to deceive with his fannying around and ultimately he achieves nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I believe he has the tools to do better however I'm not convinced he's got the brain and ultimately if he was still at Somerset he'd be miles behind both McCowan and Forrest in the pecking order and possibly behind McGuffie and Ross.

The above is bang on . all be it McDaid did well when he came on during Friday's game (cameras) . McCowan and Forrest offer much more ,and are more forwards playing wide than wingers . McGuffie has more in his locker than McDaid ,just  a matter of him growing up a bit and being more consistent ...

I'm not in any way comfortable with Ayr fans talking down mcdaid ahead of this game.

On his game he will give geggan nightmares, and I've got a feeling he'll be up for it on Saturday.

Hopefully Ayr make no changes as a repeat of Saturday's performance will do us nicely.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not in any way comfortable with Ayr fans talking down mcdaid ahead of this game.

On his game he will give geggan nightmares, and I've got a feeling he'll be up for it on Saturday.

Hopefully Ayr make no changes as a repeat of Saturday's performance will do us nicely.

Would be absolutely delighted if Dundee start with 3 at the back. Would give us a good head start. McDaid blows hot and cold like most wingers, rarely remember him having 2 red hot games back to back and really hope now isn't the time he find consistency as there is a tremendous amount of talent in there.  

Can't imagine we will be set up the same as last week, I think we will go along these lines.  Although given Harvie is the more attacking full back this year and we are decent on both flanks the defensive winger may be on the other side. 

LINEUP111565047249179.png

Absolutely agree. He is perfectly capable of tearing Geggan apart if he is on form and I think we should just shut up about him because slating him on here and claiming that he would be 5th choice winger if he was still with Ayr is only going to come back and bite us on the arse.

ETA: I stick by my comment about the number of footballs we lost from his 'cut inside and shoot' stunts. That was factual.

Edited by AyrTroopMajor

17 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Would be absolutely delighted if Dundee start with 3 at the back. Would give us a good head start. McDaid blows hot and cold like most wingers, rarely remember him having 2 red hot games back to back and really hope now isn't the time he find consistency as there is a tremendous amount of talent in there.  

I'm pretty sure we won't go that route. We started with a back three last week and it was quickly disastrous as Meekings wasn't mobile enough to deal with a winger and then we struggled for attacking threat.

I think you'll probably see McDaid and Todd start in wide playmaker type roles. We've not really used an out and out winger this season, kind of had them floating around side to side and trying to make a lot of space for others with young Finlay Robertson always trying to switch the play quickly to capitalise on it.

I'm not talking him down as such, I'm merely giving my opinion that Forrest and McCowan are both much better than him and that if still with us he would be benched.

There's absolutely no doubt that he can be effective on his day and on the very odd occasion is even unplayable but from the perspective of someone who watches Ayr week in and week out and is looking for consistency then I'm afraid he's no great loss to us. Even as a bench warmer I'd likely choose McGuffie ahead of him as I feel McGuffie has more to offer in terms of end product and untapped potential.

Cue McDaid Hat Trick.................

Jamie Adams is still playing?! What a guy. 

I’m fairly certain he started the cup game last season.

But aye. Part time with us, trains once or twice a week and works on a farm the rest of the time. Livin’ the dream.

There absolutely no chance we'll have 3 at the back.

If you were to compare Forrest to McDaid then there's only ever going to be one winner. Forrest on Saturday was a prime example of a quick skilful direct player who carries an end product and also links up play very well where McDaid can all too often flatter to deceive with his fannying around and ultimately he achieves nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I believe he has the tools to do better however I'm not convinced he's got the brain and ultimately if he was still at Somerset he'd be miles behind both McCowan and Forrest in the pecking order and possibly behind McGuffie and Ross.

My problem with this summary is that imo Saturday was Forrest’s best performance in an Ayr strip, especially playing out wide. I know that McDade wasn’t consistent but neither has Forrest. I only hope that this is the season that Forrest finally finds consistency.

42 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

My problem with this summary is that imo Saturday was Forrest’s best performance in an Ayr strip, especially playing out wide. I know that McDade wasn’t consistent but neither has Forrest. I only hope that this is the season that Forrest finally finds consistency.

Did you sleep through the start of last season? Forrest was phenomenal and we missed him hugely when he was injured.

He did more than McDaid last season and he only played half of it!

Be under no illusion Forrest is only still here because he got injured. Otherwise he would have been off to bigger things.

Did you sleep through the start of last season? Forrest was phenomenal and we missed him hugely when he was injured.
He did more than McDaid last season and he only played half of it!
Be under no illusion Forrest is only still here because he got injured. Otherwise he would have been off to bigger things.

Eh no. My memory is that he played the full 90 minutes rarely, didn’t score many goals and had a really dull season. I appreciate that injuries curtailed his performances but last season was not a good one for him I’m afraid.