Dundee vs. Ayr United

A true battle on the horizon of 2nd vs 3rd. Not particularly thrilled for this one, with our first half dismantling and Ayr's free scoring opener sans Shankland. We need to set up as we did in the second half, 4 at the back, in order to anchor us for the game.

If we play well, we will most likely win. If we don't, Ayr will easily take advantage. McPake's quick realisation and change of tactics vs the Pars gives me confidence that he'll be more prepared for this game. A couple more signings this week wouldn't hurt though. Last thing we need in another rendition of the League Cup game last season.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Last thing we need in another rendition of the League Cup game last season.

I very much doubt you'll be as bad as that but thanks for the reminder - having a sub booked soon after coming on and then sent off for a daft tackle was a real low for you guys and the performance itself had 'relegation fodder' written all over it. 

We were good going forward yesterday but not totally convincing at the back so who knows how this will play out. If we tighten up then you could be in trouble - if we don't then you'll likely win. Draw looks favourite.

Yesterday has made me a bit more optimistic ahead of the new season but Morton were horrendously bad and I’m expecting Dundee to be much better.

I’d be keeping the same starting XI that won yesterday as they were really impressive. The only change I could see McCall making is swapping Bell for Adams but personally I’d keep it as it is.

Doohan

Geggan

Bell

Roscoe

Harvie

Murdoch

Docherty

Kelly

McCowan

Moffat

Forrest

1-1

1 minute ago, Jazzar said:

I very much doubt you'll be as bad as that but thanks for the reminder - having a sub booked soon after coming on and then sent off for a daft tackle was a real low for you guys and the performance itself had 'relegation fodder' written all over it. 

We were good going forward yesterday but not totally convincing at the back so who knows how this will play out. If we tighten up then you could be in trouble - if we don't then you'll likely win. Draw looks favourite.

Surely we didn't look like relegation fodder - we would've done much better with McCann than McIntyre!

That was our beloved donkey Moussa in another embarrassment to the shirt that day.

Anyway, turned out to be a very good point against Dunfermline on Friday night. Three points required here and nothing less. Id go with the team that played the second half except Meekings (if fit) for Forster.

Thank you.

Looking at Morton's goals, your keeper Doohan looked to have made a right Hamilton out of both of them, seems a perfect foil to Flap Jack. I'm gonna guess 3-2 to us for now, as I can't see this being easy in the slightest.

Looking at Morton's goals, your keeper Doohan looked to have made a right Hamilton out of both of them, seems a perfect foil to Flap Jack. I'm gonna guess 3-2 to us for now, as I can't see this being easy in the slightest.

He was at fault for the first but not the second.

And you could count on one hand the amount of errors he’s made since he joined us last summer.

Probably make a mess of something next week now I’ve said this.

17 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Doohan was probably the best keeper in the league last season and I'd have put him down as our most important player after Shankland. That said, he didn't have his best game yesterday and did make a few handling errors, however the conditions were horrendous at times with Thunder, Lightning and torrential rain cascading down so maybe partly to blame.

We looked great coming forward but by the very nature of our play we tend to leave ourselves open at the back so God knows what will happen at Dens.

I also thought Dundee looked terrible in the 1st half on Friday night and were ripped to shreds, however in the 2nd half you seemed to pulverise Dunfermline and they couldn't even get out of their own half.

Oh well, could be another interesting season ahead............

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Doohan was probably the best keeper in the league last season and I'd have put him down as our most important player after Shankland. That said, he didn't have his best game yesterday and did make a few handling errors, however the conditions were horrendous at times with Thunder, Lightning and torrential rain cascading down so maybe partly to blame.

We looked great coming forward but by the very nature of our play we tend to leave ourselves open at the back so God knows what will happen at Dens.

I also thought Dundee looked terrible in the 1st half on Friday night and were ripped to shreds, however in the 2nd half you seemed to pulverise Dunfermline and they couldn't even get out of their own half.

Oh well, could be another interesting season ahead............

No he wasn’t - Scott Fox for one. I don’t get why people keep saying this, you could have made an argument for it in the first half of the season but after that not really.

He’s a solid keeper for this level, for his age he’s all the more impressive and I’m glad we got him back for this season - but there’s definitely been a few more errors in his game since the turn of the year.

No he wasn’t - Scott Fox for one. I don’t get why people keep saying this, you could have made an argument for it in the first half of the season but after that not really.
He’s a solid keeper for this level, for his age he’s all the more impressive and I’m glad we got him back for this season - but there’s definitely been a few more errors in his game since the turn of the year.

Scott Fox made his fair share of errors last season. Including one against us.

I wouldn’t trade Doohan for another GK in this league.

17 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It's all opinions but personally I thought Doohan was outstanding for the majority of the season and I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone. I'm sure every keeper makes mistakes and we only see the opposition keepers over 4 games tops per year but see our own week in and week out.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm sure every keeper makes mistakes and we only see the opposition keepers over 4 games tops per year but see our own week in and week out.

That's a fair point but I think for that very reason a lot people are getting ahead of themselves saying he's the best in the league - does anyone really see enough of the other keepers to confidently state that he's the best? Not saying he isn't up there but I think a lot of people jump the gun a bit.

On 04/08/2019 at 18:40, Spikethedee said:

Will anyone be able to remind me how many derbies Ian McCall won when managing the DABS? I can never remember....:whistle

I know he's got a 100 % record at Dens since managing us. ......:whistle

Edited by Buckfast

51 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's all opinions but personally I thought Doohan was outstanding for the majority of the season and I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone. I'm sure every keeper makes mistakes and we only see the opposition keepers over 4 games tops per year but see our own week in and week out.

Doohan will make the odd mistake like yesterday but there is never any mention of his distribution. Yesterday his kick outs lead both to Forest & McGuffies goals. Also in 1st half  the Moff went thru on keeper but put ball past post

Can we clear up who the wally is at Dundee who thinks it's acceptable to charge £24 for an adult, has nobody told them they ain't in the premiership this year.

dundee are box office [emoji41]

8 minutes ago, DeStevie said:

Doohan will make the odd mistake like yesterday but there is never any mention of his distribution. Yesterday his kick outs lead both to Forest & McGuffies goals. Also in 1st half  the Moff went thru on keeper but put ball past post

Yes, good point.

I also believe Bell playing at the back allows us to play out far better than the likes of Muirhead who's more of an old school "punt up the pitch" type.

Ok, there may be a time and a place for this style, but if we're to play the possession based attacking style, then we need footballers in the team and I think yesterday was a great example of this.