Partick Vs Dundee United 09/08/19

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Not taking best odds and putting it on in the shop = moron

A few winners like that online and your stake will soon be reduced to near zero. Betting in shops is the only way for proper punters to get a bet on 

Was going to write down my thoughts on the game. Had gotten quite far into it. But had so much more to say.

But I just deleted it all. I cant be fucked with it anymore. This fucking imposter is game by game draining my love of football from me.

Anyone who was entertained or enjoyed that first half needs to up their expectations, anyone who didn't see the second half coming, needs to wake the f**k up.

This is his team, his squad, two windows. And it's a clusterfuck of unfit shite he has put together. Hes the poor man's Tommy Wright.

My mate summed it up. We are such a dull team. 

I was working late tonight so just caught up now. We were nowhere near as good as last week, but I don't think anyone in our support saw that particular performance coming after our pre-season and brief league cup campaign in fairness. Tonight saw a few familiar flaws on show, especially in the first half after Thistle took the lead. We seemed cowed after going behind and it was a nervy performance on our part until half time.

McMullan seemed completely unaware that he could try something other than attempting go past his man on the outside in the first 45 mins which was particularly infuriating. Butcher should have been booked after 2 mins. Aside from a great clearance after Siegrist palmed a cross into the penalty area, I thought Smith had a poor first half. Also, as much as he's impressed me in pre-season and at Tannadice last week, Appere had a difficult game. I thought we should have probably taken him off around the same time as Stanton as he looked a little drained and was noticeably slower in tracking back to help cover when Thistle attacked down his side. Clark isn't offering anything out on the left, he's only going to be staying in the starting line-up if Neilson decides to drop Appere once Pawlett is temporarily fit again.

Despite that, I felt there's a lot of positives to take away from tonight. Robson, aside from being beaten by Saunders for the goal, had a great game (I do hate to agree with Billy Dodds, but he was our MotM tonight). Stanton put in another non-flaky performance, justifying staying in the team at the minute. Shankland had little to no opportunities, but still managed to scaff himself a goal. My first thought was Partick's keeper had absolutely flogged it, but on seeing replays I'm thinking he possibly might have been a little unlucky with the bounce of the mishit into the turf, combined with the defender's attempt to block perhaps slightly obscuring his view. He certainly didn't cover himself in glory with the winning goal though. It's excellent for Pawlett to get that confidence booster and a really good way of getting our fanbase to move past his stinking opening penalty in the play-off shoot out disaster.

Ultimately, the big positive take-away tonight was coming from behind to win. That's been a huge issue for us for a couple of years now, it's very encouraging going forward to have managed to to do it tonight.

It's clear that unless something spectacular happens we will be nowhere near getting promotion this season. 

The whole club is in denial right now and objectives need to be realistic. We're a mid level championship club. We don't have the resources, facilities, fanbase to challenge at the top of this league at this moment in time. 

Lets just enjoy getting the occasional win over Morton at home and our wee away days at Palmerston and not fret about being successful. 

We're Partick Thistle we score w..he.....n .....w..e

🙁😕😕

Edited by Partick Monkey
I misspelled not and wrote "now" by accident. Call the cops...

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Watching these pair attempting to present has given me a new found respect for actual presenters. It's clearly some kind of talent and a talent those pair don't possess.

Yeah knowing people who do some media work, it takes some real talent for do presenting pre-roll and a whole lot more to do it live. Surprised BBC Scotland didn't ask someone like Craig Telfer to do it if they were desperate. But Thommo and Leanne are getting better, personally I think Thommo needs to be the main presenter with Leanne being the main pundit. They both trying to do two things and it doesn't really work atm.

5 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

That's why I liked it. A cheap imitation, but still decent.

Speaking of, can't wait for AVFTT to start back up.

Started this season the exact same way we finished the last- unorganised, no plan b, no confidence, riding our luck when in front, ignoring major flaws in the team selection, attempting to ‘park a non existent bus’ as someone else said before. 

Tonight, would always have had miller start as and actual striker playing up front, Cardle and Gordon off him. Gordon benched was ridiculous, I get not everyone can play amazing every game but the runs into the box that Gordon gives are devastatingly missed when he’s not in the team. Cardle looked lost had no one in front of him to turn the ball onto all game, Miller always too far back and I genuinely barely remember anything Jones did. I get he needs time and I really can see a player there somewhere but just do not think that was our strongest team. 

Pass marks for Penrice (nothing got past him first half especially), McGinty and probably Saunders. Genuinely don’t think defence was awful, just set up was terrible and after the goal everyone to a man lost their heads. 

Anyone thinking we can win/challenge this league with this team, needs to watch that game back a few times. We are devoid of a change of plan. 

Fox to start next week. 

Edited by ptptptfc

In terms of performance today, the first half was very poor, United didn't know how to break through against that defence and McMullan was far too reckless with the ball imo. However, I think our superior fitness probably was the difference in the second half, and I think that's what can win us the league hopefully. Also really pleased to see Peter Pawlett back, good that he saved us £40k by stealing Shanklands goal. Five goals in two games, get yer money on him for the Tartan Boot.

It defo wasn't pretty. but it's 3 points and puts us five clear of most of our rivals. Early days, but it's looking good.

Watched the game last night. Pretty poor stuff. Thistle look hard to beat and worked hard for most of the game. United seem to have the mentality of a team who expect to win and tbf they did but may get stuck against better teams .  Shankland doesn't look 100% but still managed to score one (2 really as Pawlett just helped it over the line).  Could be a long hard season for Thistle and they'll need to find a striker soon as the boy they had up front offered nothing. Early days of course.

Edited by malkyshotton

8 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Yeah knowing people who do some media work, it takes some real talent for do presenting pre-roll and a whole lot more to do it live. Surprised BBC Scotland didn't ask someone like Craig Telfer to do it if they were desperate. But Thommo and Leanne are getting better, personally I think Thommo needs to be the main presenter with Leanne being the main pundit. They both trying to do two things and it doesn't really work atm.

Speaking of, can't wait for AVFTT to start back up.

Ignoring lack of on screen presenting talent, she hasn't (at this stage) got the voice for TV or radio. It's like watching a poor presentation by someone totally lacking confidence.

11 hours ago, AyrExile said:

A few winners like that online and your stake will soon be reduced to near zero. Betting in shops is the only way for proper punters to get a bet on 

Was just away to say the same. Shop betting is the only way for some. Not taking the best price though out of Lads/Hills/PP/Fred aint clever. 

Didnt think Utd were as bad as folk were saying first half. Distribution from Connolly/Reynolds was poor though and we had a lot of possession and weren't too far away but it kept breaking down with McMullan.  Nicky Clark contributes nothing on the left. Would far prefer a Pawlett or Smith who with Robson bombing on can move inside and help the midfield two and still link up with the strikers.

Much better second half though and a deserved win in the end.  McMullan came into the game, Appere and Robson linked up well, Pawlett offered more in 20 mins than Clark did whole game and Shankland was the difference again.  Still plenty of room to improve but an important 3 points. 

37 minutes ago, low-life said:

Didnt think Utd were as bad as folk were saying first half. Distribution from Connolly/Reynolds was poor though and we had a lot of possession and weren't too far away but it kept breaking down with McMullan.  Nicky Clark contributes nothing on the left. Would far prefer a Pawlett or Smith who with Robson bombing on can move inside and help the midfield two and still link up with the strikers.

Much better second half though and a deserved win in the end.  McMullan came into the game, Appere and Robson linked up well, Pawlett offered more in 20 mins than Clark did whole game and Shankland was the difference again.  Still plenty of room to improve but an important 3 points. 

I only really caught the second half but I did notice Connolly and Reynolds playing the ball on the deck more often than in previous games I've seen. 

Would like to see a bit more through the middle. 

5 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I only really caught the second half but I did notice Connolly and Reynolds playing the ball on the deck more often than in previous games I've seen. 

Probably a lot of that was down to our "fittest team in the league" blowing out their arses after 55 minutes and being unable to perform any kind of pressing whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Although they did resort to the long ball during the period in the first half when Thistle were dominating, it was obvious that for the first time in ages, they were making simple shorter balls to our midfielders. This is something that should have been sorted a long time ago.

I didn’t think thistle were too bad in the first half but when you have a tiring Miller and one of the weakest defenders in the league at full back it is inevitable. Williamson snipped us countless goals from being wrong side of out of position. So much so that our captain physically attacked him in a game. I find it incredible that he gets in teams of the year and the u21 Scotland squad. He’s genuinely the worst defender I’ve ever seen playing for us but most of it was covered up as he was young so you thought he would get better or because he makes good forward runs.

As a right sided midfielder he would do much better but I fear he would get physically out-powered. I’ve had a go at him on here quite a lot and it’s nothing personal I’m just really frustrated that a guy with talent can’t improve his defensive side of things. He’s a massive weak link in your team.

8 hours ago, low-life said:

Was just away to say the same. Shop betting is the only way for some. Not taking the best price though out of Lads/Hills/PP/Fred aint clever. 

It depends though as taking the best price and winning regularly is a sure fire way to get your account limited. Particularly on lower league football  it pays to not take the best price as odds are more generous anyway and not much use if you can’t get a bet on