League of Ireland

Kejan

40 minutes ago, Victor von Doom said:

Speaking of hooliganism though, Sergeant Wilson is correct about Bohs v. Rovers. I went to one of those a while back. This season and last, there have been English and Eastern European fans arrested at those games. The fixtures are now such good “craic” that tourist hooligans seemingly adopt one side or the other and head over to Dublin for a good old-fashioned “Donnybrook”. What makes the fighting inside the stadium so funny is the peculiarly “Irish” attitude of An Garda Siochana to any bout of fisticuffs. They administer a stiff telling-off: “Ah Jaysus, lads! Will youse not be at that at all now?! Cop yourselves on, lads!” while attempting to manhandle the odd miscreant back to his seat. No rugby tackles or arrests. I often used to wonder how the typically humourless and taciturn Polis Glesca officer might fit in, if an exchange programme took place.

Good posts, just on this, The Bohs v Rovers fixture has grown over the last few years and oddly has a cult following with many Europeans coming over for it. Has been many heated affairs the last decade, Bohs traditionally have links with the CSC of Celtic and Frontline of Wrexham whereas Shamrock Rovers have Cliftonville, Bury and in recent years Hibs. On top of that you get pockets of Europeans mobs arriving over, its quite odd considering the Irish are generally known for their friendliness at internationals, a reason why Bohs and Rovers mobs ain't welcome or usually seen at international level. The Guards are generally known as the biggest mob in the country, you would be quicker getting the piss knocked out of ya at the games than arrested by them, another reason why the UK mobs come over, Ireland has no football laws and theres honestly no deterrent.

The football in Ireland is not that great but the derby would be highly recommended. 

12 hours ago, Bill said:

It is sad and the worst part about it these clowns don't see the irony sitting in a pub with a Liverpool or United top on celebrating every goal England concede in a tournament. Irish fans for the most part are cretins but its changing somewhat, the LOI does seem to be on the up, Bohs alone are selling out consistently and pulling in a lot of football tourists , the old Dalymount reminding many of what football was like before modern stadiums seems to have this positive effect.  Standard wise it wouldnt be near SPL BUT Dundalk/Rovers could compete imo which always makes me wonder why Scottish clubs outside of Celtic and Rangers seem to struggle in Europe? Surely Kilmarnock are miles ahead of Welsh teams.

West Ham lost to Astra Goo Goo last time we were in Europe so I would not hold that Killie result too much against Scottish fitbaw.

I've not been over for a few years, but Bohs have successfully jumped aboard the St.Pauli / Dulwich Hamlet bandwagon. "Right-on!" students and hipsters attend in numbers. "The Notorious Boo Boys" do some good displays, but the club has become very "Save the gay Palestinian rhinos from plastic". There are more impressive beards than entire 50-year-plus membership rollcall of the The Dubliners could muster between them. That lot don't live in Phibsboro. This skit from a Shelbourne fanzine four or five years back was very apt.

image_2016-05-13_00-23-51.jpeg

13 hours ago, Bill said:

Poor result for Dundalk tonight, 1 goal in 5 European games this season, Stephen Kenny big loss to them

That's total nonsense tbh. Slovan are both a far bigger club and have far more resources at their disposal right now; their dodgy ownership have chucked millions at winning the Slovak league after years of Dundeeing it and finishing 2nd and 3rd behind sides on far lower budgets.

The stats from the game suggest a heavily one-sided affair so escaping with a narrow defeat is a creditable result for Dundalk. Can't see them keeping a clean sheet in the second leg but they've still got a chance of getting through that tie. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, virginton said:

That's total nonsense tbh. Slovan are both a far bigger club and have far more resources at their disposal right now; their dodgy ownership have chucked millions at winning the Slovak league after years of Dundeeing it and finishing 2nd and 3rd behind sides on far lower budgets.

The stats from the game suggest a heavily one-sided affair so escaping with a narrow defeat is a creditable result for Dundalk. Can't see them keeping a clean sheet in the second leg but they've still got a chance of getting through that tie. 

this is a side that lost in the Champions League this year to a team Linfield have beaten 2-1 away from home in this same round Dundalk are in, I watched a bit of the game and Slovan were no great shakes, Dundalk are poor in the final 3rd and its been a factor in previous rounds, Qarabag aside (big team)  the performances against Riga were poor, two Nil all results, 

Stephen Kenny taking the U21/Senior role is major factor in that.  Poor result might have been a harsh assessment but they have been largely disappointing this year considering they are Irelands Poster Boy team, I do agree they still have a chance as they seem to play better on the Tallaght pitch than they do in their home ground but had Kenny been in charge I'd be more confident.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I watched the game last night and only for a superb save from the Slovan keeper at the end, Dundalk would of scored. It wasn't as one sided as the stats made out and Dundalk held their own for large parts and will fancy their chances of scoring two in Tallaght next week. As VT points out they may struggle to keep Slovan out though, who could feel they had one or two decent penalty shouts  for handball turned down by the ref.

The plastic pitch in Oriel is horrific to play good football on. 

Edited by denltfc

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

this is a side that lost in the Champions League this year to a team Linfield have beaten 2-1 away from home in this same round Dundalk are in, I watched a bit of the game and Slovan were no great shakes

They're not great shakes but still enjoy a much larger budget than Dundalk and should be beating them comfortably. I really don't see then how Dundalk can be faulted for losing 1-0 in an away first leg. 

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

They're not great shakes but still enjoy a much larger budget than Dundalk and should be beating them comfortably. I really don't see then how Dundalk can be faulted for losing 1-0 in an away first leg. 

Why should they be beating them comfortably? what have Slovan done in recent years to warrant that tag regardless of the budget? Plenty of clubs in Europe with big budgets yet don't do it in Europe!  Its actually a credit to Dundalk where people are a lil disappointed in the result. Nobody is faulting them I just think it was a poor result imo.

We will see how the 2nd leg plays out

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8 August 2019 at 12:43, denltfc said:

I watched the game last night and only for a superb save from the Slovan keeper at the end, Dundalk would of scored. It wasn't as one sided as the stats made out and Dundalk held their own for large parts and will fancy their chances of scoring two in Tallaght next week. As VT points out they may struggle to keep Slovan out though, who could feel they had one or two decent penalty shouts  for handball turned down by the ref.

The plastic pitch in Oriel is horrific to play good football on. 

Interesting to see reports from a Longford Town fan. I was in Longford at a midweek game about 15 years back. Ground looked brand new back then. Then main stand looked like a modern version of the stand at St Mirren's old Love St ground. The rest was red seats bolted on to breeze block all the way round the other uncovered three sides. Crowd in the hundreds with about a 100 Derry City fans there. Score 0-0. Think it was €10 to get in. Good set up but sadly it wasn't an attraction for the locals. Remember the ground was named after a bread company.

Longford at the time was one of the better grounds. Drogheda Utd three sided was one of the worst, on par with East Stirling old ground. A lot of the grounds were like time capsules from Second Division Scottish grounds in the 1970s. 

GAA grounds, well that's another story altogether especially the county grounds.

Try comparing a Scottish Junior ground  with say a Scottish Premier club with terracing added and no segregation.

• 6 months later...

I downloaded the RTE Player app just watch a show that ended up not being on the app anymore, instead I watched Soccer Republic with highlights of the LOI, pleasantly surprised that the football wasn't awful, was nice to hear fans at a game too. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bohs, mostly because I dislike Shamrock Rovers but it seems like fans of both clubs are considered wankers so I think I need a new team to root for. 

Interesting in the First Division that the place with the worst accent in Ireland, Limerick's side went bust and were replaced by Shamrock Rovers II, glad to see they have only managed one win so far this year.

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

I downloaded the RTE Player app just watch a show that ended up not being on the app anymore, instead I watched Soccer Republic with highlights of the LOI, pleasantly surprised that the football wasn't awful, was nice to hear fans at a game too. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bohs, mostly because I dislike Shamrock Rovers but it seems like fans of both clubs are considered wankers so I think I need a new team to root for. 

Interesting in the First Division that the place with the worst accent in Ireland, Limerick's side went bust and were replaced by Shamrock Rovers II, glad to see they have only managed one win so far this year.

You can't be serious with the worst accent in Ireland stuff, Cork wins that by a country mile.

Worked with a lad from Cork once and it was painful trying to communicate with him. He couldn't understand my accent either though to be fair.

St Pats are my local team, been once or twice to Inchicore, the quality isn't bad at all. The real problem for LOI is turning people from Man Utd and Liverpool fans into LOI fans. United and Liverpool totally dominate football here.

37 minutes ago, G51 said:

You can't be serious with the worst accent in Ireland stuff, Cork wins that by a country mile.

Worked with a lad from Cork once and it was painful trying to communicate with him. He couldn't understand my accent either though to be fair.

St Pats are my local team, been once or twice to Inchicore, the quality isn't bad at all. The real problem for LOI is turning people from Man Utd and Liverpool fans into LOI fans. United and Liverpool totally dominate football here.

Cork City isn't a great accent but compared to the nasal whine of Limerick it's a joy to listen to. 

After praising the quality of the football in the league, I watched Soccer Republic this morning, Derry beating Cork 3-1 in a game featuring some truly awful goalkeeping, Derry also seem to be piping in crowd noise. 

The first Dublin Derby between Shamrock Rovers V Shelbourne was much better quality wise, decent 0-0 draw for Shelbourne. Second derby between Bohs and St Pats not too bad either, the first Bohemian goal was a peach. After getting pumped in Europe Dundalk got pumped away in Sligo 3-1. Waterford lost to Finn Harps 3-2, one good goal, 4 awful pieces of goalkeeping/defending. 

Fans are banned again in the Republic of Ireland, meaning the big Dublin Derby on Saturday between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians is between closed doors. In the absence of Scottish Championship football, the LOI is a good alternative for me

Derry City trailing 3-2 with 8 minutes left of extra time in their Europa League qualifying match.

ETA: And they're out, up to Coleraine to keep the flag flying for the north west. Highly unlikely that they'll win, either.

Edited by Jacksgranda

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

After praising the quality of the football in the league, I watched Soccer Republic this morning, Derry beating Cork 3-1 in a game featuring some truly awful goalkeeping, Derry also seem to be piping in crowd noise. 

The first Dublin Derby between Shamrock Rovers V Shelbourne was much better quality wise, decent 0-0 draw for Shelbourne. Second derby between Bohs and St Pats not too bad either, the first Bohemian goal was a peach. After getting pumped in Europe Dundalk got pumped away in Sligo 3-1. Waterford lost to Finn Harps 3-2, one good goal, 4 awful pieces of goalkeeping/defending. 

Fans are banned again in the Republic of Ireland, meaning the big Dublin Derby on Saturday between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians is between closed doors. In the absence of Scottish Championship football, the LOI is a good alternative for me

They must have a hell of a size of a living room...

• 5 months later...

LOI pre season games under way with the Premier kicking off March 19th and the First Division a week later. Good to see Shamrock Rovers II being fucked out of the First Division to make way for new Limerick side Treaty FC. Having realised Bohs are a bit w**k and have Celtic connections, while Shamrock Rovers have Hibs connections, I'll root for Shelbourne from now on.