League of Ireland

Kejan

I look forward to the premier division season ahead through my fingers. Longford won the promotion playoffs from 5th place in the first Division and preseason has been brutal except for a win last week over Cabo's second string. 

Longford are justifiable favourites for the drop. Last weekend saw the traditional season warm up with Dundalk beating Rovers on penos to lift the Presidents Cup. Dundalk has brought in some interesting internationals including a striker from Norway  and a 6'6  Centre Back  from the Faroe Islands and a Latvian international at left back. They will either gel nicely or fall apart at the seams early days.

Rovers have lost their two best players in Jack Byrne to APOEL of Cyprus and McEnneff to Hearts. . You have to fancy Rovers to push on again this season. They added a few experienced ex Dundalk players to the squad and Danny mandriou ( Ireland U21) who blows hot and cold on the wing. 

Only Bohs hipsters will think they can challenge the top 2. The rest of league is much of  a muchness and relegation  playoff is between Harps and Waterford ( who have Kevin Sheedy in as a manager!).  

Most games are on the watchloi player and a few on the RTE player including Rovers and Pats this Friday night. 

Overall football is back but no crowds. Hopefully by September they will be allowed back and  you never have to fear overcrowding at a LOI game lol

Before a ball is kicked,optimism  can reign supreme  I can dream big and think Longford for Europe ! Its 15 years this season since we last were in the Europa Cup. 

Edited by denltfc

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, thekorean said:

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/1376111377354526723?s=20

An Asian player in Ireland? Can't imagine that's all that common.

4th South Korean player in the last ten years to play in the LOI, Cabinteely have had 3 Japanese players in recent years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_League_of_Ireland_players

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Which club is Stephen Kenny going to end up at when he gets the bullet? Does he get another crack at Shamrock? A comfortable move back to Dundalk?

He is welcome back at Longford Town anytime. He brought the worst team in Ireland to the Premier Division and a cup final. He walks on water in Longford. 

More realistically the FAI will find him a position in the youth development/ youth academy ranks when he is reassigned  !

• 2 weeks later...

When we went over to Dublin in 2015, a boy we knew took us to the Bohs - Rovers game in the away end. Standard was rotten but it was a good laugh and Pay Fenlon's Rovers utterly collapsed late on, leading to scenes.

We had been on the cans since 2 in the morning though so pretty sure I fell asleep for a couple of minutes on the terrace. Quite a feat.

My dad's family are all from Sligo so keen to get to a game there one day. The Showgrounds is right next to the estate where my gran grew up. Got this belter of a top off M and M last year.

There's a charity in Kikdare that I volunteer with a couple of times a year, which was the first time I really saw how massive GAA was and have been slowly building my knowledge of it over the last few years. Decided to join in with all the folk that wear their county kit and am proud to say I am the only person who ever wears Sligo GAA gear. People try and slag me about it til they realise I could not care less about it!

image-2021-04-08-21:32:21-185.jpg

17 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

When we went over to Dublin in 2015, a boy we knew took us to the Bohs - Rovers game in the away end. Standard was rotten but it was a good laugh and Pay Fenlon's Rovers utterly collapsed late on, leading to scenes.

We had been on the cans since 2 in the morning though so pretty sure I fell asleep for a couple of minutes on the terrace. Quite a feat.

My dad's family are all from Sligo so keen to get to a game there one day. The Showgrounds is right next to the estate where my gran grew up. Got this belter of a top off M and M last year.

There's a charity in Kikdare that I volunteer with a couple of times a year, which was the first time I really saw how massive GAA was and have been slowly building my knowledge of it over the last few years. Decided to join in with all the folk that wear their county kit and am proud to say I am the only person who ever wears Sligo GAA gear. People try and slag me about it til they realise I could not care less about it!

image-2021-04-08-21:32:21-185.jpg

Spent a lot of time in Sligo a few years ago - had a big project there. Absolutely beautiful part of the world and the people are top class too.

They announced the schedule for the All-Ireland today. Back to an August final which is nice, not that Sligo will be too concerned with that....

Spent a lot of time in Sligo a few years ago - had a big project there. Absolutely beautiful part of the world and the people are top class too.
They announced the schedule for the All-Ireland today. Back to an August final which is nice, not that Sligo will be too concerned with that....

Yeah, I've only been once unfortunately but it was nice. Some great pubs in the town too. My grandad is buried just along from Yeats. That's a hell of a spot. Hoping to get over soon and do Benbulbin. My gran always had a photo of it on her wall and my dad liked telling me the story of how him and his brothers only made it halfway up before the weather forced them back down.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't be serious with the worst accent in Ireland stuff, Cork wins that by a country mile.
Worked with a lad from Cork once and it was painful trying to communicate with him. He couldn't understand my accent either though to be fair.
St Pats are my local team, been once or twice to Inchicore, the quality isn't bad at all. The real problem for LOI is turning people from Man Utd and Liverpool fans into LOI fans. United and Liverpool totally dominate football here.
You live in Ireland?