The WSC Championship season preview 19-20

Another league season is about to begin, and When Saturday Comes only cover the top flight in Scotland in their preview. Always keen to hear the thoughts of the Championship clubs' fans.

Let's here your thoughts, please (the final question does not require serious answers).

How will you do this season?
Last season we ended up 5th, due to the shortcomings of others and also due to Greg Kiltie. We look like scoring and conceding freely so far, so if the defence/keeper can be sorted out we might push for the play-offs. If not, and the goals dry up, mid-table but hopefully clear of last season's nonsense.

Which teams did you like and dislike last season?
Liked Alloa for pissing everyone off regularly (they beat us twice at Scapa). Also Partick for choosing to be really awful for us in the 5-1 game. Disliked the Grangemouth club, even thought they ended up being completely hopeless.

Best moment of last season?
JJ had us playing some right turgid stuff for the majority of the season, so there were very few. I wasn't as the game where we all but relegated the snake, so I'll go for Greg Kiltie's late penalty in the penultimate game at Dunfermline which officially ruled us out of the relegation tussle.

Worst moment of last season?
Realising that JJ was just another terrible appointment in a long series of terrible appointments we've had since the year 2000.

What money making opportunity has your club missed out on so far?
Whilst there has been some progress (a few retro shirts etc) the overall state of the commercial department is dreadful. Anything which moves us into the 21st century will do.

Edited by AyrshireTon

10 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Another league season is about to begin, and When Saturday Comes only cover the top flight in Scotland in their preview. Always keen to hear the thoughts of the Championship clubs' fans.

Let's here your thoughts, please (the final question does not require serious answers).

What money making opportunity has you club missed out on so far?

Is the new issue out? Will need to have a wee look tomorrow.

How will you do this season? There's a good question. We have undergone a massive squad overhaul this summer, which was badly needed following last season's shambles. We were far too close to relegation for comfort (one more defeat and we'd have been 9th; four extra points dropped and we'd have been bottom) and I'd think improving on 7th place would be the minimum goal for the year ahead. If the young signings gel and we're a bit more solid at the back then we can challenge for Top 4 but I feel we'll end up 5th or 6th.

Which teams did you like and dislike last season? Liked Alloa for staying up against the odds but their needy fans took the shine off a bit. County were ruthlessly effective, if not exciting while Falkirk were somehow an even worse shambles than ourselves.

Best moment of last season? Beating United 3-2 at Tannadice on the opening day. Second half performance that day made me think we could challenge for the title. Needless to say, it was downhill all the way after that.

Worst moment of last season? Take your pick from losing TWICE at EEP to the worst Falkirk side in decades, getting pumped off the wee team in the Scottish Cup and scoring just 13 home league goals all season.

What money making opportunity has you club missed out on so far? In all seriousness, the club should absolutely look at producing more Sammy the Tammy merch. The fella is a Scottish football icon and I think you could make some money off online sales of toys, mugs and a 'Sammy AFTER DARK' calendar.

How will we do this season?

- Not a clue. With our current squad I think 7th or 8th is likely but with a quality addition or two then we could push for the play offs. We certainly won’t achieve what we did last season. Our performances in the league cup haven’t exactly filled me with much confidence.

Which teams did you like or dislike?

- I don’t think I really liked anyone. And some weeks I would include Ayr in that.

Best moment?

- The 5-0 up at Tannadice was great but I wasn’t there so I’ll say the 5-1 at Cappielow. Doohan saving a penalty and then scoring 4 goals in 15 was great and it was probably the first time I thought to myself we could actually challenge at the top that season.

Worst moment?

- Talbot away probably but if we’re talking exclusively about the league then throwing away a 3-1 lead against Ross County at home after we could’ve been 5 or 6 up was pretty demoralising. It was a huge opportunity missed and it knocked a lot of the players confidence.

Missed money making opportunities?

- Going out the League Cup so early. We cut our budget from last season and progression to the R16 meant that we could bring in another couple of players. Hopefully we can bring in at least one but if not this is probably the reason why.

However the real missed opportunity is not making up Ian McCall calendars with each month being him posing with a new signing.

McCall looking for a 'square go' with someone here?
Thank you.

He’s like a protective Dad taking his boy round to the house of the lad who’s been giving him a hard time.

BTW there’s loads of these pictures of McCall looking rather pleased with himself.

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 15:34, AyrshireTon said:

Think it will be a struggle. Although ultimately I am sure we won't be troubling relegation (Famous last words eh) We have decent players however injuries have been our achilles heel for a while now. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to replace injured players and last season it showed. We were the walking wounded at times. 6th or 7th will be my expectation.

Like - Alloa as they were the only team at the bottom who actually tried to play their way out of trouble, and they managed to get under so many folks skin because they were the ones supposed to be going down. (GIRFUY Falkirk)

Dislike - The wee United. The disgraceful way they conducted themselves over the Liam Smith pre-contract lacked class. Was hilarious to see them bottle that penalty shootout. Definitely hoping to see them fail spectacularly  this season.

5-0 Tannadice. It really doesn't get much better than that. Plus we amused the whole of Scottish football, which is something that is normally reserved for us  (See next question for evidence of that)

Gubbed by some junior diddies with no floodlights, live on telly, for the whole nation to witness. A dark, dark place. It still hurts.

What money making opportunity has your club missed out on so far?
Selling 'Dundee United Are Shite T-Shirts' in the club shop

Edited by I'm Brian

How we’ll do? 

Nowhere good as last season, probably finish 8th. Hopefully with no Junior banana skin in the Scottish Cup

Teams I disliked?

Dundee United. Still believing they’re a big club despite being out the big league for seasons now. 

Best moment?

beating Dundee U 3 times. Also getting a play off place

Worst moment?

we never really recovered from the Talbot result and went out of the play offs with a whimper

money making opportunity? 

Walk way bricks leading up to the stadium