McBurnie's socks

9 hours ago, AJF said:

I would agree, but the scoring records are only one part of the issue.

The players that i mentioned before, I honestly can’t remember watching them for Scotland and thinking they were performing well enough. Whether that be their hold up/link up play, creativity or effort.

You need forwards that score goals but when they aren’t doing that, they need to at least be ticking boxes in the other areas which I don’t think they were.

I would agree with you about Griffiths, but I reckon you're wrong about Fletcher. Goal scoring really isn't a big part of his game. He's a highly intelligent (in the footballing sense, I must add) creative forward who was unplayable/gamechanging away to Germany. I remember him having a few other absolutely stand-out performances away to Wales (won everything in the air against Ashley Williams), Poland at home and Eire (although he missed a sitter that had me tearing my hair out). There will have been others that I can't remember (as well as, no doubt, some mediocre performances) but he definitely added creativity in the forward area and his link up play is superb. 

Guest DAVIDB69
I would agree with you about Griffiths, but I reckon you're wrong about Fletcher. Goal scoring really isn't a big part of his game. He's a highly intelligent (in the footballing sense, I must add) creative forward who was unplayable/gamechanging away to Germany. I remember him having a few other absolutely stand-out performances away to Wales (won everything in the air against Ashley Williams), Poland at home and Eire (although he missed a sitter that had me tearing my hair out). There will have been others that I can't remember (as well as, no doubt, some mediocre performances) but he definitely added creativity in the forward area and his link up play is superb. 

But I am pretty sure we failed to win any of those games

• 3 months later...
McBurnie starts the season with 11 games without a goal.    

Will be interesting to see if Clarke keeps him in the squad for backup.  
Looking at the MOTD analysis last night of Sheff Utds inability or unwillingness to put the ball in the box, it's not surprising.

9 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

Make the case.  We've hours and hours of him in a Scotland top ( A team and 21's ) that suggest he's miles off it.  

People laughed at the thought of  Dykes the Livingston front man being far superior, then they both played and it became evident.   

Even if Real Madrid signed both from Sheff United Ollie Burke and (in particular) McBurnie are not at the level required.   These are average SPL players stealing a wage.   

I honestly don't think McBurnie would improve Hibs if they straight swapped for Nisbet or even Tony Watt at Motherwell.    Burke is only a marginal upgrade.  

Almost always the best players play for the best teams but we cannot allow some fantasy transfers skew footballing reality.   

Zero assists.  Zero goals at club level.  Zero assists.  Zero goals for country.   

Nah that's nonsense. I like how bold your thinking is though, but stats are meaningless in football.  McBurnie played 9 bits of games when we were shite, had one chance in all that time, and hit the post.

His last couple of appearances when we were a bit better he looked excellent, and hit the woodwork twice I believe.  He's a quality option to have and would stroll it up here.

12 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

I honestly don't think McBurnie would improve Hibs if they straight swapped for Nisbet or even Tony Watt at Motherwell.    Burke is only a marginal upgrade.  

Which isn't really the point.  Would Scotland be improved if you swapped in either of those players?  No.  Which is kind of why he's there as, no matter how average he might be, he's amongst the best forward options we have available.

2 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

Good players make their own chances.    Take a look at Ryan Fraser getting on his bike when Dykes gets turned against the Czechs.   Take a look at Dykes getting across his marker to score in Olomouc.    Both of these players have the football intelligence that McBurnie and Burke lack.   McBurnie wouldn't have made either run.   You can see that both players need really heavily coached and that's easier to do at club level when you spend soo much time together.    I can understand why Brendan Rodgers took a punt on Burke because he at least has raw ingredients and there's potentially a player there.   At international level you expect a level of intelligence.   

We've had poor options in the striker dept for years but:  Rhodes, McCormack, Miller etc have shown you don't have to be a great player to score goals in the Championship.    

Burke was bang average for Celtic.    Lyndon Dykes scored 11 goals for Livingston.   I fail to see how McBurnie would stroll the SPL.   

Do you think Callum Patterson would "Stroll" the SPL?  

Lets wait and see if Dykes matchs McBurnies tally in the Championship then shall we.  24 was it?  

Burke did very well up here, and Paterson did stroll the SPL, that's why he doesn't play in it anymore.  Plus nobody mentioned him anyway.

31 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Lets wait and see if Dykes matchs McBurnies tally in the Championship then shall we.  24 was it?  

Burke did very well up here, and Paterson did stroll the SPL, that's why he doesn't play in it anymore.  Plus nobody mentioned him anyway.

It was 17 for McBurnie in championship and Dykes is well on the way to catch him he hits the pens to do it he avoids injury should be aiming for more

10 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I genuinely think once mcburnie finally scores a goal for scotland we will see an improvement in his performances

Quite possible.  But opportunity(s!) missed at the weekend.

I really hope we’re in a 6-team group for the WC as we’re more likely to benefit from playing San Marino/Andorra with the squad than any of the previous ones.

Building confidence in our strikers is our next hurdle now the team is robust and resilient.

Quite possible.  But opportunity(s!) missed at the weekend.
I really hope we’re in a 6-team group for the WC as we’re more likely to benefit from playing San Marino/Andorra with the squad than any of the previous ones.
Building confidence in our strikers is our next hurdle now the team is robust and resilient.
Agree with that. Always aids the feel good factor if you can squeeze in a 6-0 scudding or two