McBurnie's socks

Yeah, if that's true and he does miss it, it's absolutely gutting for him.  I don't get the feeling that he's a player that doesn't care about representing us (aside from that ill-advised soundbite a while back).  You can see when he knows that he's playing shite that he's trying to change that.  Ultimately failing, mind, but trying.  On a personal level, I'm gutted for him.

But from a team level, it's basically losing your plan C or D.  Maybe he would have finally caught fire at the tournament and he's now a big loss, but that seems unlikely.  Can't say we're exactly spoilt for choice in replacing him though.  At this stage you may as well just tell Griffiths to get borderline fit and bring him on for set-pieces in the final 5.

Adams, Dykes, Nisbet, Shankland and Griffiths? 
We'll be looking to lose one striker from the last squad imo. When you've already got Adams, Dykes, Fraser, Christie and perhaps Armstrong* and Forrest** competing for two spots, there's not really any need to bring in another three guys who'll total 10 minutes across the tournament.

I'm actually wondering if Paterson or Burke will be McBurnie's replacement as the big guy to bring on with 5 to go. If we keep that fourth spot then I'd probably go with Griffiths.

*maybe not in the front two

**might not even get called up

I think that's a bit of a blow.

Despite all the stick he gets he's a useful player. He's big and powerful, can hold it up, compete in the air and experienced at the top level.

The likes of Shankland are not on the same level. McBurnie scored the same amount in the English championship as Shankland did in the Scottish championship. Shankland has scored five goals this season. If he was to get on the park against England for example it would be like playing with ten men. He would just be brushed aside by them, whereas McBurnie can at least compete, hold the ball up and bring others into play etc.

You have to judge like with like, if McBurnie was at Dundee Utd he would be a revelation and unplayable to most defenders in this league. So I think its a bit of a loss to us. Technically he's half-decent too.

All of these are things that McBurnie can theoretically do, but he hasn't done any of them for Scotland. As has been covered plenty of times, he has 16 caps for Scotland, and we have only scored 1 goal while he has been on the pitch. That goal was John McGinn's opener against Russia at Hampden, which he did have an indirect role in by distracting the keeper and making him fumble it out to McGinn.

The only other positive contributions I can really think of from him in a Scotland strip were some good timewasting at the end of the Slovakia game and his penalty against Serbia.

It’s a shame for McBurnie, but we’ve just found better players now. He’d be unlikely to feature more than a couple of minutes anyway.

Its likely no great loss to the overall squad. Let the Shankland v. Nisbet debates recommence!

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

All of these are things that McBurnie can theoretically do, but he hasn't done any of them for Scotland. As has been covered plenty of times, he has 16 caps for Scotland, and we have only scored 1 goal while he has been on the pitch. That goal was John McGinn's opener against Russia at Hampden, which he did have an indirect role in by distracting the keeper and making him fumble it out to McGinn.

The only other positive contributions I can really think of from him in a Scotland strip were some good timewasting at the end of the Slovakia game and his penalty against Serbia.

He's played bits and pieces of games mostly when the game was already dead. His cameos in our last couple of games were pretty decent, showed good quality on the ball and good physicality as well as a desire to work hard and have an impact.

The games he played against Peru or whatever were a farce too. I think people have judged him harshly, he's a handy player and would definitely have been in the squad. I'd say he's better than Shankland and probably Nisbet too.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He's played bits and pieces of games mostly when the game was already dead. His cameos in our last couple of games were pretty decent, showed good quality on the ball and good physicality as well as a desire to work hard and have an impact.

The games he played against Peru or whatever were a farce too. I think people have judged him harshly, he's a handy player and would definitely have been in the squad. I'd say he's better than Shankland and probably Nisbet too.

That first paragraph. I admire your support and belief, but he hasn't shown quality on the ball, and his "cameos" (by which I think you mean sub appearances) have been marked by his looking unfit and pretty clueless. He was an empty shirt against Serbia (pelanty aside) and for a man playing at a supposed high level he has looked alarmingly less mobile than Shankland. I'm gutted for him to be missing out, but I'm happy that we've freed up a squad place.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

That first paragraph. I admire your support and belief, but he hasn't shown quality on the ball, and his "cameos" (by which I think you mean sub appearances) have been marked by his looking unfit and pretty clueless. He was an empty shirt against Serbia (pelanty aside) and for a man playing at a supposed high level he has looked alarmingly less mobile than Shankland. I'm gutted for him to be missing out, but I'm happy that we've freed up a squad place.

That's a matter of opinion. I think he's shown undoubted quality on the ball with a couple of wee maisy runs and serious strength to hold people off. 

We've freed up a squad place that will be taken up by Shankland, who is inferior to McBurnie, and Griffiths who is basically finished and a shadow of the player he once was. I don't see it as good news personally, with the greatest of respect for Griffiths who will always have quality.

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Yes, because our third choice striker is such a competitive position.

You know fine well what I mean. There’s now hopefully less chance of him coming on and doing fuck all. 

15 hours ago, TheScarf said:

You know fine well what I mean. There’s now hopefully less chance of him coming on and doing f**k all. 

I know what you mean, but I have no problem with him being in the squad. Shankland and Nisbet have 2013-2015 Stevie May written all over them.

Obviously, I hope to be wrong, but beyond our first two choices I’m not convinced we have any striking options. McBurnie is the least bad (also assuming Griffiths is toast at this point).

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I know what you mean, but I have no problem with him being in the squad. Shankland and Nisbet have 2013-2015 Stevie May written all over them.

Obviously, I hope to be wrong, but beyond our first two choices I’m not convinced we have any striking options. McBurnie is the least bad (also assuming Griffiths is toast at this point).

This is true. McBurnie gets far too much stick on here and is clearly better than Griffiths, Shankland or Nisbet. There was a time Griffiths would have arguably been a better option but that's long gone now.

McBurnie is clearly a superior player to those three, and there's also a case to make he's better than Dykes.  There's a reason he may well end up in the Premiership again next season and none of those four will. It isn't cause he's shite and EPL managers just can't see it, its more the other way round.