McBurnie's socks

15 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye totally. If you're an idiot.

Why would it be wrong to judge a Scotland player on his performances for Scotland? With the same token, it also wouldn't be wrong to judge a Scotland player on his performances for his club, which is why players get called up in the first place. 

On 17/07/2020 at 17:26, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye judge him on 9 if you want, even though that's daft.  You can also judge him, much more accurately, on the 35 games he's played this season.  That's where you can judge him.

No, not judge him. Judge his performances in those nine caps. 

Think it through. 

It would be silly to write off a player on 9 caps, even if it was 9 starts, but I don't think it is unreasonable to have formed a judgement on how he has performed in the minutes he has had in a Scotland shirt thus far, whilst accepting it is entirely possible he will get better. 
I'm not sure on what basis you think he suits Scotland's style of play, though. What is our style of play, as you understand it? And how does it complement McBurnie, or vice versa? 

His 3 main assets for Sheffield United this season have been heading, work rate and bringing others into play. We play with wide players like Forrest and Fraser who like to get crosses into the box. As we play with one striker he can also bring others into play if he gets support support form the likes of Armstrong Christie and McGinn.

9 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

But they're of no relevance.  You have 35 games this season to judge him on, that's much more prescient than a few bits of games scattered over a few years.

They are very much of relevance if one wants to draw a conclusion about how he did in those nine games. Indeed, they are the only relevant barometer to judge his Scotland performances thus far, because they are his only Scotland performances. 

So, if one wants to make a judgement on his performances in a Scotland shirt to date, then those are the only way to make that judgement. 

On 13/07/2020 at 23:37, Monday 13th July said:

Playing McBurnie would mean switching to 2 up top as he's utterly pointless on his own.   

3-5-2 formation means we'd have to sacrifice decent players like Fraser and Forrest.   

Far better to stick to 4231 and have a real forward up top and not the poundland Kevin Kyle.   

Sometimes you have to sacrifice some decent players to get the best results for the team though. This is not club level where you can buy and sell.

Guest DAVIDB69

If we do have to play him we need to play two up front , as it’s clear he works better that way going from his sheff united games.

So it we insist on one up front he is pointless as he has no effect on the game.

We need

15 hours ago, Monday 13th July said:

It's unbelievably unlucky though isn't it?   

My top 11 Scottish players at present would be something like:  

Robertson 
Tierney 
Gilmour
McGinn
McTominay 
Armstrong
Christie 
McGregor 
Fraser
Fleck 
Forrest  

Basically 2 Left backs and an enormous group of midfielders.   

Yeah. A ridiculous amount of midfielders. Especially centrally.

It seems to be a common theme where Scotland strikers can’t seem to carry over their performances from club to national level.

I’m sure if you ask Sheffield United fans they’d be happy with McBurnie’s performances, but he is the latest in a long line of strikers that slump in a Scottish jersey.

Rhodes, Griffiths, Fletcher etc. Have all went through prolific periods at club level but have all been useless for Scotland. It’s very frustrating.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

It seems to be a common theme where Scotland strikers can’t seem to carry over their performances from club to national level.

I’m sure if you ask Sheffield United fans they’d be happy with McBurnie’s performances, but he is the latest in a long line of strikers that slump in a Scottish jersey.

Rhodes, Griffiths, Fletcher etc. Have all went through prolific periods at club level but have all been useless for Scotland. It’s very frustrating.

from that list, they have all largely played up front on their own and I wouldn't say that Fletcher and Griffiths have been useless for us. Rhodes barely got a decent crack and certainly not with a strike partner which he badly needed. 

remember we had Strachan banging on about some of our strikers being too wee to be able to defend corners for much of the time Rhodes and Griffiths were playing well at club level....

36 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

from that list, they have all largely played up front on their own and I wouldn't say that Fletcher and Griffiths have been useless for us. Rhodes barely got a decent crack and certainly not with a strike partner which he badly needed. 

remember we had Strachan banging on about some of our strikers being too wee to be able to defend corners for much of the time Rhodes and Griffiths were playing well at club level....

Fletcher has scored 10 goals in 22 competitive appearances for Scotland. On the face of it, that doesn’t seem bad at all but when you consider 6 of those goals are made up of hat-tricks against Gibraltar then that’s a lot of games without doing much.

Similarly, Griffiths has only 4 goals for Scotland. His 2 free kicks against England probably paint a rosier picture in some fans eyes but he has largely been useless.

None of the players have really hit it off for Scotland. I can’t remember watching any of them and thinking that they were up to standard in a Scotland shirt.

Edited by AJF

Cliche, but I think our strikers have a thankless task. The way we've traditionally played for the best part of 20 year is having one striker run about daft up top ala Kenny Miller and hope the midfield support them. We've never been particularly strong up front and it's certainly not a strong part of our teams when you consider players we have in other positions but I do think it still skews their scoring records some what.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cliche, but I think our strikers have a thankless task. The way we've traditionally played for the best part of 20 year is having one striker run about daft up top ala Kenny Miller and hope the midfield support them. We've never been particularly strong up front and it's certainly not a strong part of our teams when you consider players we have in other positions but I do think it still skews their scoring records some what.

I would agree, but the scoring records are only one part of the issue.

The players that i mentioned before, I honestly can’t remember watching them for Scotland and thinking they were performing well enough. Whether that be their hold up/link up play, creativity or effort.

You need forwards that score goals but when they aren’t doing that, they need to at least be ticking boxes in the other areas which I don’t think they were.

Edited by AJF

20 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

If we do have to play him we need to play two up front , as it’s clear he works better that way going from his sheff united games.

So it we insist on one up front he is pointless as he has no effect on the game.

We need

It's been illegal for about 20 years to play two up front in the bore-fest that is international football.

It's 4-5-1 variant vs. 4-5-1 variant for 99% of matches. 

Conversely, Faddy played some of his best stuff for Scotland when he was barely featuring for Everton. I'm not a subscriber to the theory that a player needs to be playing well and regularly to be picked, different managers see different things and can get different things out of players. I understand why people feel they should be in form for club but I just see the other side.

Edited by Swing Kicker

That's my point, different managers deal with players in different ways so just because it's not working out at a club for a player doesn't mean it's a no go at international level. It's the exception to the rule, I mean I wouldn't want an entire team of players who are barely featuring for their clubs but I don't think it's black and white

Edited by Swing Kicker

1 hour ago, Monday 13th July said:

Of course its not.    

But this forum's bad for it.   Tierney is suddenly a world-beater because he's moved from Celtic to Arsenal, when his standards have been exactly the same for years.    

McBurnie is somehow a must pick because Sheff Utd made one of the worst transfer decisions ever taken.    It ranks above the £35m that Kenny Dalgleish paid for Andy Carroll  

Bit harsh , I know he's not the most likeable guy and hasn't set the heather alight for us but he could still do a job here and there.