McBurnie's socks

On 12/07/2020 at 18:41, DAVIDB69 said:

Saying McGinns form is the best in decades is unfortunately a sign of how low we set our bar these days . 6 of his 7 goals against Cyprus , Kazakhstan and San Marino

The fact of the matter is we tend to struggle to score against teams like the first two - we can dress it up how we like, but in 6 games McGinn scored as many as Kris Boyd did in 19 for Scotland, and half as many as McFadden did in 48 caps. And they had plenty of opportunities against middling opposition.

Another goal for Armstrong as I type.

Saying McGinns form is the best in decades is unfortunately a sign of how low we set our bar these days . 6 of his 7 goals against Cyprus , Kazakhstan and San Marino

Would you rather he hadnt scored in those games?

6 in 7 is a bloody good stat for any international footballer.

Nah Stoke were hoofball. Their midfielders have said so themselves, they were under instructions to pass to the defenders so they could launch it, even if they had good possession in the middle of the park. Tactical sure, but 100% hoofball.
Aye but it's directed hoofball. It's not aimless, and often plays in behind certain defenders, or towards a forward with other players looking for knock downs. Genuine plans.

Too many teams try to play out the back when they're clearly not able to. Give me a clear, effective plan every day of the week.

12 minutes ago, Monday 13th July said:

Playing McBurnie would mean switching to 2 up top as he's utterly pointless on his own.   

3-5-2 formation means we'd have to sacrifice decent players like Fraser and Forrest.   

Far better to stick to 4231 and have a real forward up top and not the poundland Kevin Kyle.   

Whos that?

6 minutes ago, Monday 13th July said:

Don't know.  Shef Utd have an older guy called Billy something who's about 50 times the player McBurnie is.   

It's just that 'the guy called Billy something' he's managed three (3) goals this season. In a front two. For a team near the top of the league. He's fifty (50) times the player, you say? 

1 minute ago, Monday 13th July said:

His link up play is far better.    McBurnnie is  headers at goals and nothing else.   

It seems exceptionally strange that McBurnie has completed far more passes than Sharp in that case. 

7 hours ago, Monday 13th July said:

Someone that can work in a 1.   

It's been horrible watching OM trying the play in a 1.   I cannot watch another 90 mins of the lost boy trying to play on his tod.   

I don't think anyone thinks McBurnnie is better than say Naismith in a 1.     There's stuff that folk can debate, and then time proven, attribute, stuff.  

Naismith? Thats plenty 

You're honestly the biggest buffoon on these boards.

17 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Bigger buffoons can’t reply with anything constructive

Can you point out anywhere in these following posts that you are being constructive? All I see is your usual negative, dreary, "we're fucking shite", nihilistic nonsense.

On 08/07/2020 at 19:49, DAVIDB69 said:

Looked like he was towing a truck or two tonight at what point do we accept the mcburnie thing is never going to happen

On 11/07/2020 at 19:05, DAVIDB69 said:

It was a good header but we can’t wait around for it to maybe happen someday with Scotland and there has been no obvious signs it ever will.

He has worked up front well with mcgoldrick today , however Scotland has static midfield that doesn’t support a lone guy up front who just gets long balls launched at him,

On 11/07/2020 at 19:11, DAVIDB69 said:

None of them have ever done it consistently against anyone of consequence

On 11/07/2020 at 19:27, DAVIDB69 said:

That’s exactly what I was saying sheffield midfield is compact but it pushes up and supports him, something the scotland midfield doesn’t do often enough and hadn’t really done in his scotland games

Cap count means absolutely nothing as we hand them out life confetti for Scotland caps

On 11/07/2020 at 19:40, DAVIDB69 said:

Loads of them were against minnows though , although McGinn is best midfielder we have for this

You see Mcburunie do rather well in some games for Sheffield and you think, 'hm, maybe we're the problem is we're just not setting up to get the best out of him'. 

The you think back, or rewatch, his performances against against Cyprus, against Kazakhstan, against Russia, and you remember just how poorly, clumsily and lazily he played and you hope beyond hope that Griffiths gets a shift on. 

His appearance in particular in Cyprus was painful to watch. That we surrendered possession and territory so easily and consistently to them as the game went on was in large part down to his utterly feckless performance as a second half sub. 

Frustrating beyond belief. 

15 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Would you rather he hadnt scored in those games?

6 in 7 is a bloody good stat for any international footballer.

I believe it was 7 in 6. But 6 of those were against utter dugshite national sides, so he deserves a lifetime ban.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

You see Mcburunie do rather well in some games for Sheffield and you think, 'hm, maybe we're the problem is we're just not setting up to get the best out of him'. 

The you think back, or rewatch, his performances against against Cyprus, against Kazakhstan, against Russia, and you remember just how poorly, clumsily and lazily he played and you hope beyond hope that Griffiths gets a shift on. 

His appearance in particular in Cyprus was painful to watch. That we surrendered possession and territory so easily and consistently to them as the game went on was in large part down to his utterly feckless performance as a second half sub. 

Frustrating beyond belief. 

I think that's a wee bit unfair with the Russia game (I don't remember much of the other two, so you could well be right on those).  The Russia game came after his ill-advised comments/joke on getting called up, to the point he got some boos on being announced, but at the start of that game he looked very much like he wanted to prove a point.  Fast forward to us scaring ourselves by taking the lead, and then the second half happened.  I was front row, probably about halfway into the half we were attacking, so got a much closer view than I would have liked of him, and he looked utterly frustrated.  He was poor, absolutely, but a lot of it was stemming from EVERYONE else being poor too.  He lost the head a wee bit as well, clearly annoyed at not getting the sort of balls that he needed, and when he did, having no-one around him to profit.  

There are a long litany of forwards that would look far better for us if we played to their strengths.  That's not to say we necessarily should, of course (Rhodes would've been a great finisher, but a passenger otherwise) but we do really struggle to link the midfield with the attack.  Have done for years now.  Unless you've got this well-rounded complete forward who can take what he's given and create something out of nothing (ha...nae chance) then we need to start finding a way to either set up with a 2 up top that doesn't leave us short in midfield, or set up our midfield in such a way that someone can link well with whatever lonely fucker we have up top, again without leaving us short further back.  

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I believe it was 7 in 6. But 6 of those were against utter dugshite national sides, so he deserves a lifetime ban.

Steven Fletcher was regularly pilloried for his goals being against diddies.  Almost like the argument is malleable depending on the player's supposed shiteness.  Would be lovely to consistently have someone who can utterly sword every supposed diddy we come up against, rather than the alternative.

4 hours ago, Monday 13th July said:

He's played the role of lone striker comfortably better than McBurnie on all occasions.  

That's just a fact.  

We all live in our own reality construct. In yours sure it's a fact.

Outside your head it's whats known as an opinion.

Anyway, playing a few games in a superior fashion to McBurnie doesnt make you a "real forward".