McBurnie's socks

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

King of the Barclays. 

Steady now.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Fleck reminds me of a mix of McGregor and McGinn. The latter due to how he attacks the box and McGregor because of his work a bit deeper, especially the way he moves the ball in wide areas to link with the full/wing-back. I'd consider him ahead of McGregor but it seems that Clarke (or indeed any manager he's had since around 2017) will never drop him.

I’d agree with that comparison. Based on this seasons form in a stronger league against better players, I’d say Fleck probably deserves a Scotland spot ahead of McGregor. Tough call picking the Scotland midfield though. Quite a few vying for the same positions and no clear stand-out player.

52 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Aye Fleck was outstanding yesterday and I doubt McBurnie would've got a goal and assist without him.

:1eye

Fucking hell. Where did anybody even suggest anything like that? 

Point missed in spectacularly thick fashion. :1eye indeed.

Guest DAVIDB69
No we are not

Maybe not to the safe degree as launching from defence and battering it up the field , but we do launch long balls to a single guy up front with little support.

We are not exactly known for free flowing football

50 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
52 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

We are a hoof ball side as well

No we are not

Yes we are.  Our centre backs aren’t good enough to do anything else.  And the supporters demand it.  

Edited by Savage Henry

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

McLeish tried to play football - he was just out of his depth doing so.

Second time around yes.  I would say the last Scotland manager to try and play genuinely progressive football was Burley, and he quickly found out the players weren’t capable of it.  Strachan was as direct as anyone.  I’m not knocking that, because some of Scotland’s defenders can’t even head the ball in a straight line, let alone pass it.

Second time around yes.  I would say the last Scotland manager to try and play genuinely progressive football was Burley, and he quickly found out the players weren’t capable of it.  Strachan was as direct as anyone.  I’m not knocking that, because some of Scotland’s defenders can’t even head the ball in a straight line, let alone pass it.
Strachan was not as direct as anyone, that's just nonsense. Scotland v Ireland, Germany v Scotland, Poland v Scotland. These Scottish teams played ok passing football.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Strachan was not as direct as anyone, that's just nonsense. Scotland v Ireland, Germany v Scotland, Poland v Scotland. These Scottish teams played ok passing football.

He brought on Chris Martin to chase 60 yard punts more often than I care to remember.

Bringing on a striker to chase a game is not representative of how you play before that. I'm tempted to write off the opinions of anyone who think they can filter down the style of ANY team to "hoofball".

The likes of Bolton under Allardyce or Stoke under Pulis were often described as that and it totally undersells the amount of tactical work that went into those successes.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Bringing on a striker to chase a game is not representative of how you play before that. I'm tempted to write off the opinions of anyone who think they can filter down the style of ANY team to "hoofball".

The likes of Bolton under Allardyce or Stoke under Pulis were often described as that and it totally undersells the amount of tactical work that went into those successes.

Yeah, that's grossly unfair on Stoke in particular.

Sometimes, they threw the ball really far as well. ;) 

20 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

All this chat about McBurnie, Sheffield Utd and the bold bit above is exactly why....

....I’m surprised John Fleck hasn’t entered the midfield discussion here yet. He’s had a consistently good season, played well supporting McBurnie and chipped in a few goals. A late blossomer, but based on this seasons form I’d say he should probably be ahead of McGinn and Armstrong, albeit he should have cemented his spot about a decade ago. 

Armstrong who has much better form since lockdown than Fleck, and McGinn who has scored more goals in 6 games than all but three players have in total over almost 20 years? (Miller, Fletcher, McFadden; Boyd and Snograss also on 7).

Also, interestingly, Armstrong has 4 goals and 3 assists from 16 starts this season (10 sub appearances). Fleck has 5 and 2 from 27 starts.

McGinn’s form for Scotland is far an away the best we’ve had in decades and is undroppable right now. Armstrong also ahead, and don’t see Fleck starting ahead of McGregor or McTominay. Will be right in the squad though. 

8 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Armstrong who has much better form since lockdown than Fleck, and McGinn who has scored more goals in 6 games than all but three players have in total over almost 20 years? (Miller, Fletcher, McFadden; Boyd and Snograss also on 7).

Also, interestingly, Armstrong has 4 goals and 3 assists from 16 starts this season (10 sub appearances). Fleck has 5 and 2 from 27 starts.

McGinn’s form for Scotland is far an away the best we’ve had in decades and is undroppable right now. Armstrong also ahead, and don’t see Fleck starting ahead of McGregor or McTominay. Will be right in the squad though. 

Fleck’s missed the majority of games through injury since the restart though, but is apparently nearly fit again.

I also agree that Armstrong should be the first midfielder on the Scotland team sheet right now as he has hit the ground running for Southampton since the restart and has been consistently playing very well.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Utter nonsense. I can't even be bothered explaining the level of wrong here, just to say this is why I show utter contempt for most poster's opinions. You're an idiot.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Nah Stoke were hoofball. Their midfielders have said so themselves, they were under instructions to pass to the defenders so they could launch it, even if they had good possession in the middle of the park. Tactical sure, but 100% hoofball.

Guest DAVIDB69

Saying McGinns form is the best in decades is unfortunately a sign of how low we set our bar these days . 6 of his 7 goals against Cyprus , Kazakhstan and San Marino