McBurnie's socks

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Putting in shifts which he did unfortunately doesn’t qualify you for tournaments we need goals.

Exactly. A hat trick for McNulty today. Alright the opposition weren't great but I'm not sure McBurnie has scored 3 all season. 

4 hours ago, Rabinho said:

Incredible?
He was decent, even good.
But incredible? I’ll have to disagree.

The "incredible" related to the amount of effort he put into the game, not his performance as a whole. Overall I thought he was very good though, as he has been most times I've seen Sheffield United this season (especially recently).

• 4 months later...
Guest DAVIDB69
He’s been a right shithouse in this game, which is something we could do with.

No it’s not we need to move away from the non scoring forwards mentality , we seem to think this is our thing but it’s proved time and time again it achieves nothing

5 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

No it’s not we need to move away from the non scoring forwards mentality , we seem to think this is our thing but it’s proved time and time again it achieves nothing

We think it's "our thing" because we've got f**k all else.  You think we'd be bothering with that if we had a forward good enough for us regularly smashing in goals?  It just so happens that most of our best options up front have been this type of player, and it suits our game given we have most of our best players in midfield.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

We think it's "our thing" because we've got f**k all else.  You think we'd be bothering with that if we had a forward good enough for us regularly smashing in goals?  It just so happens that most of our best options up front have been this type of player, and it suits our game given we have most of our best players in midfield.

Can't disagree with that.

It is frustrating however when you get a striker who is smashing in the goals, but whose talents Scotland don't fully exploit e.g.:

Boyd: great marksman, actually did pretty well for Scotland at first during that Euro 2008 campaign. Then Burley decided not to use him as much in the next campaign and they had their spat. Although Boyd didn't do himself any favours by refusing selection, at the time I was backing him because - despite his limitations - he had scored goals against the kind of shite we usually struggle against, and looked like he would be a good fit to do that for several years to come. But that was pretty much it for him (apart from a few sub appearances for Strachan later). Bit of a waste.

Rhodes: super finisher, limited like Boyd but when Levein first called him up he was clearly going places and racking up good scoring stats season after season. I think it was his really shit performance vs Serbia away (his only competitive start, I think) that effectively ended his chances of ever being a serious contender for a Scotland jersey. Shame as again he could have been used to decent effect more than he was (assuming he's pretty much done now, going by the way his last few years have gone).

Perhaps the managers' judgement was correct in both instances, and if the Boyd and Rhodes had been given more opportunities they'd have turned out to be fruitless caps. It's just a shame that as a side who often go through spells of struggling for goals, we can't find a way to capitalise on players who can deliver them.

Edited by Gordopolis

52 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Can't disagree with that.

It is frustrating however when you get a striker who is smashing in the goals, but whose talents Scotland don't fully exploit e.g.:

Boyd: great marksman, actually did pretty well for Scotland at first during that Euro 2008 campaign. Then Burley decided not to use him as much in the next campaign and they had their spat. Although Boyd didn't do himself any favours by refusing selection, at the time I was backing him because - despite his limitations - he had scored goals against the kind of shite we usually struggle against, and looked like he would be a good fit to do that for several years to come. But that was pretty much it for him (apart from a few sub appearances for Strachan later). Bit of a waste.

Rhodes: super finisher, limited like Boyd but when Levein first called him up he was clearly going places and racking up good scoring stats season after season. I think it was his really shit performance vs Serbia away (his only competitive start, I think) that effectively ended his chances of ever being a serious contender for a Scotland jersey. Shame as again he could have been used to decent effect more than he was (assuming he's pretty much done now, going by the way his last few years have gone).

Perhaps the managers' judgement was correct in both instances, and if the Boyd and Rhodes had been given more opportunities they'd have turned out to be fruitless caps. It's just a shame that as a side who often go through spells of struggling for goals, we can't find a way to capitalise on players who can deliver them.

Particularly with Rhodes, it's a similar problem though.  We turn our nose up at strikers who "don't score" and who have other qualities, but Rhodes was pretty limited.  Of course, putting the ball in the net is quite a good skill to have, but when it relies on other players around you being able to take advantage of your movement (was the key to Rhodes his movement or positioning?  Or was he just benefiting from people around them?   No idea personally), and that skill gets reduced, there isn't really much else to the game.  I was a big supporter of Rhodes, but he was pretty rotten for Scotland.  I'm not sure we've ever really been in the position to be able to afford a passenger like that in the hope that we'll be able to get him the service to do well.  

So crucially, it comes down to this.  With Rhodes, one person required many people to be doing their jobs well so he could.  With a striker adept at bringing others into the game, he only needs one player to be on his level.  Neither are great, but I'd rather have the latter.  And I'd still trade both in a heartbeat for someone that can score reliably.  

McBurnie has been excellent tonight. The amount of space he creates for midfielders is a huge difference maker for Sheffield United. Can't imagine why a national team with endless numbers of good midfielders would want that!

Let's play Shonklund or Harper instead, imo.

McBurnie has been excellent tonight. The amount of space he creates for midfielders is a huge difference maker for Sheffield United. Can't imagine why a national team with endless numbers of good midfielders would want that!

Ha! He's just scored as well. Excellent!

MotM too.

I think he's looked really good and really bad at the same time. There's something really promising there if he can work on his end product when deeper (which is a weird thing to say about a striker), as he works hard, is good in the air, drops into good areas outside the box and, as you say, is selfless.

He needs a Christie or McGinn pushed right up alongside him though.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

MotM too.

I think he's looked really good and really bad at the same time. There's something really promising there if he can work on his end product when deeper (which is a weird thing to say about a striker), as he works hard, is good in the air, drops into good areas outside the box and, as you say, is selfless.

He needs a Christie or McGinn pushed right up alongside him though.

Your final sentence is it. We have the players to make it work.

McBurnie has five league goals now, with six games to play.  You may remember before a ball was kicked this season I said he'd get six league goals.
5 goals in 30 games for a striker is shite at any level. Can't understand why people would still want him first choice for Scotland.