McBurnie's socks

17 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Don't really understand the absolute desperation to do Scottish players down like this. Seen folk on Twitter saying he's the worst Scotland cap ever - mentalists tbh.

Yes there have been players who have scored lots of goals at that level, like Rhodes, Martin, even the likes of Iwelumo and none of them were ever going to make it. They were all much older though. There's a huge difference between a journeyman who carves out a career in the championship, knowing full well he'll never make it to the top, and someone who's young enough to learn and develop at the top of the game.

Don't remember the last time a Scottish player scored that number of goals at that level at 21.  Can't be many

McBurnie's going through what all strikers who have a slow start for the national team (i.e. just about every single one) endure. He's a good prospect and is in exactly the right place to show how good (or shit, to be fair) he is.

TBF Rhodes was 22 - a year younger than McSocks (he's 23, not 21) - when he was in that incredible form that saw him brought into the national squad, and I doubt he planned his career to stall in the Championship the way it has.

10 minutes ago, Kuro said:

The fact is objectively he is obviously our number one striker rightnow.  List his competition let's hear it, there is nobody else.  And by recency bias you mean how he's playing right now as opposed to two years ago, which is how you pick a team.

Wouldn't Harry Souttar be his competition?  I heard he's fucking brilliant.

The "fact" is subjectively he is our number one.  If Steve Clarke agrees he'll likely play him.  If he hits the ground running in the Premier League, then he'll absolutely be in ahead of Griffiths.  However, if the latter goes on to play himself back into contention, and McBurnie spends August and early September doing nothing for a struggling Sheffield United side, then it becomes a lot closer.

5 minutes ago, forameus said:

Wouldn't Harry Souttar be his competition?  I heard he's fucking brilliant.

The "fact" is subjectively he is our number one.  If Steve Clarke agrees he'll likely play him.  If he hits the ground running in the Premier League, then he'll absolutely be in ahead of Griffiths.  However, if the latter goes on to play himself back into contention, and McBurnie spends August and early September doing nothing for a struggling Sheffield United side, then it becomes a lot closer.

So you agree.  Good job.

2 minutes ago, Kuro said:

So you agree.  Good job.

Well, I like to think I give a more measured response other than your default "OMG I CAN@T BELEEVE YOU THINK SLIGHTLY DIFFERENTLY YOU c**t".

And I disagree with the ludicrous "objective" part.  McBurnie is largely unproven at the level we need him to be at.  He's looked largely lost at international level, although that's probably a fair bit down to the players around him being shite.  But that isn't getting any better, so he needs to shoulder some of it.  In the time since the last game, Griffiths has gone from being a question of whether he'll even play again to scoring goals.  So his stock is rising while McBurnie's has stayed static.  A transfer fee doesn't change that, but scoring in the Premier League certainly will.  So at the moment, it's massively subjective, until we actually start to see him play at a higher level.

And for avoidance of doubt, I don't think either of them are that good.  Still the best we have though.  And McBurnie certainly has more potential.

26 minutes ago, forameus said:

Well, I like to think I give a more measured response other than your default "OMG I CAN@T BELEEVE YOU THINK SLIGHTLY DIFFERENTLY YOU c**t".

And I disagree with the ludicrous "objective" part.  McBurnie is largely unproven at the level we need him to be at.  He's looked largely lost at international level, although that's probably a fair bit down to the players around him being shite.  But that isn't getting any better, so he needs to shoulder some of it.  In the time since the last game, Griffiths has gone from being a question of whether he'll even play again to scoring goals.  So his stock is rising while McBurnie's has stayed static.  A transfer fee doesn't change that, but scoring in the Premier League certainly will.  So at the moment, it's massively subjective, until we actually start to see him play at a higher level.

And for avoidance of doubt, I don't think either of them are that good.  Still the best we have though.  And McBurnie certainly has more potential.

Pish. How many games has Griffiths played in the premiership?  What's his record At intl level?  McBurnie is already proven At a higher level than any of our other options.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

McBurnie's going through what all strikers who have a slow start for the national team (i.e. just about every single one) endure. He's a good prospect and is in exactly the right place to show how good (or shit, to be fair) he is.

TBF Rhodes was 22 - a year younger than McSocks (he's 23, not 21) - when he was in that incredible form that saw him brought into the national squad, and I doubt he planned his career to stall in the Championship the way it has.

Rhodes scored those goals in League One though did he not? Maybe I'm misremembering, I always thought he never hit the same heights at Championship level

Slow start to international career is right but to be fair his caps have mainly come under a jakeball with no clue how to use him. He'll improve though

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Rhodes scored those goals in League One though did he not? Maybe I'm misremembering, I always thought he never hit the same heights at Championship level

Slow start to international career is right but to be fair his caps have mainly come under a jakeball with no clue how to use him. He'll improve though

yeah he hit 40 in League 1, but then went on to score 30 in his first Championship season - so not a bad start!

3 hours ago, Kuro said:

Pish. How many games has Griffiths played in the premiership?  What's his record At intl level?  McBurnie is already proven At a higher level than any of our other options.

Griffiths has played the same number of games as McBurnie in the Premier League.  He's played way more in the Premiership.  His record at International level is better than McBurnies at this stage - McBurnie no goals in seven, and three in sixteen at youth level, Griffiths has four in nineteen, and three in sixteen at youth level.

Now whether McBurnie has played at a higher level is debatable.   YOu can argue that some English Championship sides are utter humpty, and held up by a well marketed league that often ends up pretty exciting (the Scottish Championship is also exciting, but it doesn't mean the quality is high).  But OK, he's been relatively prolific in the Championship, which is a plus. If McBurnie goes on to get even high single figures this season, then that obviously trumps anything up here.  But then Griffiths has demonstrably played at a higher level, given he's made 48 appearances in Europe, with 11 goals in the Champions League (1 in the group stages) and 3 in the Europa League.  That's a level McBurnie won't even get a sniff at unless he gets a move in the coming seasons.

So where were your facts again?

Guest DAVIDB69

He has never done anything beyond the championship .

That’s not a high level

On 09/08/2019 at 21:34, DAVIDB69 said:

He has never done anything beyond the championship .

That’s not a high level

I'd give him the point that it's probably higher than the Premiership.  Probably.  It's arguable though.  Given the number of goals he's scored, and that it has earned him the move it did, I'd say that domestically, he's played at a higher level than Griffiths.  But then, as I said, Griffiths has played a lot of games in Europe, which is a considerably higher level.

He came on in the second half after the score was 1-0. Harried the defence well and won the ball back high up the pitch a few times. He also was able to make the long ball stick a bit better than he was doing last year for Swansea. Used his strength and footwork to good effect to shield the ball and passed it off to runners well.

Sheffield Utd last season would shut up shop when they were in the lead and the centerback overlap didn’t seem to happen after they scored but he still made and got some chances. There was one point where he lost his man and was completely open on the penalty spot and the fullback just did some step overs for a while before winning a corner. He also had a couple of headed half chances where he was moving away from goal.

Anyways, I thought he had an okay game and pretty much in line with how I thought he would fit in.