McBurnie's socks

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Most expensive Scotiish player ever.

Finished, though.

While I certainly didn't join in when he was being roundly dismissed on here - I haven't seen enough of the guy to judge, and don't have Sky Sports/BT - I'm really reticent to allow the transfer fees paid by £nglish Premier clubs to dictate my opinion of a player's quality.  Those wankers will pay for anything....

...except Scottish based players obviously...

I watched him a fair bit last year. Some games he was almost invisible, and that was usually games where Swansea were getting overwhelmed and were just punting the ball up the pitch for him to chase. If they got the ball to him under control he was really good at holding it up. He could turn his man or lay it off and was generally a handful for defenders. He was also obviously a good target for crosses but also had a large range from which his shots would be dangerous. He was also much better at running at players than I would have thought with deceptive speed and dribbling ability  

He also did a good job of hunting down the ball when the opponent was in possession, though he would occasionally get a bit too exuberant and give away needless free kicks and then scream at the ref. 

In general, if we have a midfield that can support him, and I think that is developing well, I think he could do a great job for Scotland. I suspect his early Scotland caps were similar to Duncan Ferguson’s. 

I am a bit worried about joining a promoted team but Sheffield United played such an odd possession style last year (centerbacks overlapping the fullbacks). If they play like that again I could see him fitting into it well. It’s just a matter of whether that style of Total Football would work in the EPL given the much higher quality of defence. 

Just shows how far the English game has gone up it’s own arse when it comes to money, and that’s the main reason I don’t pay much attention to it these days, other than MOTD or EFL on Quest.

However, McBurnie didn’t make the price tag. Some will argue is he worth it? Well I suppose the answer is yes when there are clubs willing to pay it, however it’s bloody ridiculous to me.

The boy obviously has a talent, sure he’s not shown it for Scotland yet (but neither have many), but I just hope playing in the English Premier League improves him as a player and we as a nation get the benefit from that.

I don't see the point in being negative about McBurnie. This move is great news. It'll give him a chance to prove himself as an EPL striker. With Griffiths also on a similar quest to re-prove himself at Celtic we have two guys who *could* provide strong competition for us up front.

Much better than squabbling about which Championship-level guy who isn't getting a game or scoring regularly should be our number 9

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He'll get more chances for Scotland in time, but the fact someone paid £20m for him shouldn't automatically propel him up the pecking order until he actually does something to show he's worth it.

That's utter nonsense. He's already done lots of things to prove he's worth it, that's why somebody paid 20 million for him. Do you think anybody would pay remotely close to that for any of our other strikers?  Half that even?

On 04/08/2019 at 18:00, craigkillie said:

He'll get more chances for Scotland in time, but the fact someone paid £20m for him shouldn't automatically propel him up the pecking order until he actually does something to show he's worth it.

And how does that pecking order look in your opinion? who scored more goals at a similar or higher level last season?

3 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

All the goals he scored in the Championship shows that he’s worth it!

The same goals as Chris Martin scored, who was ridiculed by Scotland fans. Jordan Rhodes scored similar amounts, and couldn't force his way into the team.

I'm not convinced he is the answer but equally there is no real 'pecking order' to speak of that he must work his way up. The only striker probably ahead of him is Griffiths who has a terrible scoring record for Scotland. The selection criteria for strikers in the last few games appears to be 1) Are you Scottish? 2) Are you a striker? 3) Have you got your boots with you?

Guest DAVIDB69

Mcburnie is not worth 20 million , it’s just the ridiculous fees paid in england for average players.

He is good championship player that is not question, however when Swansea were in the premier previously he looked hopelessly out of his depth . Likewise at international level he has looked pretty hopeless .

We need to move away from the mindset of scoring goals in the championship makes you international quality also the play someone automatically just because they are on the books of an English premier side.

If he was any good he would have gone higher than Sheffield United. If he gets double figures for them I would be shocked .

The same goals as Chris Martin scored, who was ridiculed by Scotland fans. Jordan Rhodes scored similar amounts, and couldn't force his way into the team.
I'm not convinced he is the answer but equally there is no real 'pecking order' to speak of that he must work his way up. The only striker probably ahead of him is Griffiths who has a terrible scoring record for Scotland. The selection criteria for strikers in the last few games appears to be 1) Are you Scottish? 2) Are you a striker? 3) Have you got your boots with you?

The same fools who ridiculed Martin are likely the same ones ridiculing McBurnie.

But it’s irrelevant really. It’s your second paragraph that matters. There is no competition to McBurnie.

And don’t give me Griffiths. He’s a failed League One striker!

Mcburnie is not worth 20 million , it’s just the ridiculous fees paid in england for average players.

He is good championship player that is not question, however when Swansea were in the premier previously he looked hopelessly out of his depth . Likewise at international level he has looked pretty hopeless .

We need to move away from the mindset of scoring goals in the championship makes you international quality also the play someone automatically just because they are on the books of an English premier side.

If he was any good he would have gone higher than Sheffield United. If he gets double figures for them I would be shocked .

McBurnie made a handful of sub appearances in the Premier League as a kid.

What makes him international quality is that he’s our best striker!