Do you wear football tops abroad?

Lofarl

On 26/08/2019 at 21:46, highlandcowden said:

how come rugger related stuff is fine but footy stuff isn't?

Rugby tops are comfy and keep you warm if it gets a bit chilly in the evening, football tops are horribly polyester that you sweat in if it's hot and freeze if it's cold. I wouldn't wear one if it identified with any team whatsoever though. Egg chasing's bad enough but the fans are worse.

• 1 month later...

Wearing a football top to a game is bad enough. Wearing one on holiday should result in the removal of your right to vote.

Maybe I over-think life, but I find it pretty funny when you see a crowd shot of a bunch of people all sitting there wearing their matching replica tops like good little consumers in their little imagined group. I don't know.

Exercise is ok. I've got a Hearts top my mum gave me for a birthday or Christmas a while back. It's on my running rotation, but that's it.

On 31/07/2019 at 09:47, AyrTroopMajor said:

The number of Ayr United Da's that take to facebook to post pictures of themselves in Lanzarote wearing the new Ayr shirt has completely opened my eyes to the fact that it is an absolute beamer.

We have the Brechin beach towel photos instead, where folk send in pictures of theirs in whichever foreign land they've run away to.

RE the newest OF tops, we're dealing with the sort of people that see being able to afford the latest top as a great badge of honour.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On holiday this year, there was an old guy must have been in his late 60's wore something celtic every night of the holiday. No football tops but always a celtic polo shirt or a treble treble t shirt or some such. I just cant get my head round it. Why do you feel the need to tell everyone what team you support every night of the holiday. Have you nothing else going on in your life???
Football strips are for lying about the house in or playing 5s unless your 12.

also they wear massive rings and chains. minks imo

I don't mind wearing mine when I am at the pool/beach.

I wore it in cyprus recently at the pool. I once went out the hotel that day and a local taxi driver stopped to talk about Motherwell.

I don't agree with wearing them in the gym though. I hate seeing Celtic/Rangers shirts in the gym. ( I say this as a hypocrite as I wore my Russia & Argentina tops before)

19 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Did you wear them all at the same time or on different days?

I wear them in layers and rotate them, same as my pants. You need something to absorb the sweat in 30 degrees here. I've been showing some of the locals your own goal, so they're keeping an eye out. It should get you a free pint or two.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I wear them in layers and rotate them, same as my pants. You need something to absorb the sweat in 30 degrees here. I've been showing some of the locals your own goal, so they're keeping an eye out. It should get you a free pint or two.

Excellent.  I land on Wednesday afternoon so im sure I'll epxect a warm welcome at the airport. 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Going up North this time.  Kyrenia, but flying to Larnaca.  Was in Pafos a couple of years back.

Will you be suspending your beer snobbery to gargle the KEO and Leon? I have, but found a few places that do decent beer, can be a bit pricey though.

Just got a bottle of local gin for €8.99.

55 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Will you be suspending your beer snobbery to gargle the KEO and Leon? I have, but found a few places that do decent beer, can be a bit pricey though.

Just got a bottle of local gin for €8.99.

It’s the Efes pish up there but as long as it’s cheap I will give not a jot.  

I wore an Ayr hooded top to a pub the first weekend after I moved to the Czech Republic, mainly so that people would see me and immediately think, there is no way this fud speaks Czech

It worked but the drawback was, I had my afternoon ruined by a stag weekend who decided to involve me in all of their conversations, Call me Ayrton Senna (Ayr toon centre) and then try and stiff me with their bill. 

I never wore anything that identified me as Scottish at weekends after that and quickly found a bar that showed streamed sports that stag parties wouldn't find.  

• 1 year later...

This strikes me as the type of "wearing a dinner jacket to lunch" snobbery that is more OFTW than choosing to wear a fitba top on holiday (gasp!!).

It's thinly disguised class snobbery, made less thinly disguised by the "wearing a polo shirt is fine" pish that reminds me of wanky golf club nonsense. 

In short, i'm a 37 year old "fully grown" man who wears a jags/scotland top on holidays. It's comfy and, aye, it's a talking point, especially when I wear it to a tantra festival or some other similar thing. I quite like the juxtaposition, but I also love the connection to my inner child. It seems tragic to me that we demand that adults stick to certain rules of dress simply because we're adults. 

But in saying that, seeing someone with an OF or England top on holiday gives me good info on their good guy/w**k credentials.