Do you wear football tops abroad?

Lofarl

On 06/08/2019 at 20:26, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Very rarely go on holiday,  but would be quite willing to wear a football top abroad. Often lounge around the house in football tops, and happy to wear them to the shops if need to nip out.  

Really don't see what the issue is here. What is it about football tops at a game/gym/5s that makes it acceptable to everyone here, but unacceptable to wear on holiday? They're just sports tops with a badge on it. None of you would blink an eye at someone wearing a run of the mill Nike top in Tenerife. 

There is a world of difference between wearing a football top and a leisure top on holiday.  A football top is for football and a leisure top is for leisure, cannot really make it any simpler than that. Football tops are hardly the most wearable in terms of comfort/fabric  or stylish things to wear so why would anyone wear one on holiday other than as a bit of a look at me and who i support kinda thing.

23 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Says who? They are made of the exact same fabric. Which negates your next simpleton, nonsense point.

So that isn't what people are doing when they wear it to 5s or a football ground then? For what reason they wearing them to football grounds/5s? And why isn't this reason cringe-inducing to you?

The leisure tops you wear may be made of the same fabric as football tops, but not in my case.  

To answer your next question - No, it's not.  People tend to go to a football game to support either of the teams playing and stand alongside others supporting the same team so why would they need to wear a football top to show who they support?  

Cringe inducing to me - where did I say wearing a football top on holiday was cringe inducing?  Not the best choice of attire, perhaps, but hardly enough to induce cringe.  

5 minutes ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Talking absolute pish.

Its the EXACT SAME fabric mate. EXACT SAME.  If anything, football tops tend to be a better quality given the price of them.

Capture.thumb.PNG.6ac28e3c6916ea969f1362e88d2ebdb4.PNG

Why are they wearing one then?

Well that's what you implied with the "look at me and who i support" statement . Are you going to spell out your reasons behind your argument, or just keep repeating illogical statements without any thought behind them? Why is it acceptable to wear at the football but not on holiday? 

Why does wearing a football top only become attention-seeking (your words " look at me and who i support kinda thing" ) when you cross a border and go to a different country? You seem to be implying that there is some sort of thought and motivation behind wearing a football top abroad(and this is what makes it bad), but no thought or motivation behind wearing one at home. What you are saying doesn't make sense.

FFS - you've only gone and compared a football top to a tennis top - that's not at all what we were speaking about.  Leisure tops were what was being discussed, not other sports tops.  

I have not repeated any statement in either of my 2 posts. If you mean continuing with the same stance, then say so but don't make things up.  Assuming that's what you meant - it's acceptable to wear a football top to the football but not on holiday because the 2 are completely different types of occasion, one is suited to wearing a football top and the other not so much.  Social convention and all that if you absolutely need me to give it  a title.  

Your final paragraph has so many holes it's difficult to know where to begin but for starters I did not mention going to a different country, it could be within the same country.  There is absolutely a thought process in people wearing a football top when on holiday, you'd need to ask them what that was though as I don't do it.  And, there are countless better fashion choices available so it's not about the style choice.  

If you genuinely cannot see the difference between wearing a football shirt to the football and wearing one on holiday then I doubt anything I can say will change that. 

21 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

You're just restating your point over and over again without giving any reasoning.

Maybe I'd be able to if you were to give a single coherent reason as to why they should be judged differently. 

1. Why are people on holiday wearing football shirts automatically looking for attention?
2. Why are people people wearing football shirts at home NOT subject to this judgement?

You are advertising your support of that team by wearing their football shirt. You are doing that whether you are on holiday, in a stadium or walking down a street in your hometown. So to say it's perfectly OK to do that here, but not on holiday doesn't make any sense whatsoever. You should state a reason why this is the case, or admit your argument is irrational, illogical nonsense.

You're at it again - taking my comments and adding arms and legs and all sorts of assumptions of yours based on what you assume my underlying thinking is.

Anyway, to answer your questions -

1.  I did not say automatically looking for attention, you are adding words for dramatic effect. Read my original post again.

2. People wearing football shirts at home would be subject to the same judgement but not if they were wearing it to the football or a football event or similar.  

I have stated several times that I believe football tops are not suitable for wearing abroad, they are not particularly fashionable or comfortable IMO.  By the way, I see you have not come back on your faux pas on the fabric comparison - apology accepted in advance. 

As a poster above said, this innocent enough thread is now becoming way too serious and  hurting my brain.  So, go ahead and get your top on, in fact be a full-kit w****r for good measure, and be the coolest guy in Magaluf strolling along the promenade.  You'll be fighting the ladies off with a shitey stick for sure! 

Edited by hk blues

Was in Tesco next to the A96 las weekend and there was a boy in, who I kind of know who he is, walking around in a white baseball cap (who the fuck still wears them?), the 2016/17 Celtic home kit (long sleeved) complete with SPFL patches on the sleeves and 'Brown 8' on the back.  Of course this was about 4pm so Celtic were actually bumming St Johnstone at the time.

He's mildly cretinous.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

they are not particularly fashionable or comfortable IMO

Agreed, who wants their nipples scratched by polyester all day? Quite a few probably, but they should make cotton or cashmere versions for the more discerning fan. 

I was going to visit a friend in North Macedonia two years ago and bought an Edinburgh City top because it was white and I needed some white tops to reflect the sun (it was 35-40 degrees in Skopje at the time). I don't recall wearing it there although it's come in handy in the recent hot weather here as I find it comfortable to wear (and I'm usually a 100% cotton t shirt person). 

I did go to the Nou Camp in December years ago wearing a City fleece but they're used to foreign bellends visiting there so no-one batted an eyelid. 

On 10/08/2019 at 00:28, welshbairn said:

Agreed, who wants their nipples scratched by polyester all day? Quite a few probably, but they should make cotton or cashmere versions for the more discerning fan. 

It's a fair point, but then again what discerning fans would wish to wear a football top regardless of material when on holiday? 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t wear football tops as such but I usually wear a Scotland polo shirt or Dundee training top down to the pool and back. That’s it really.

It doesn’t matter where you go in the works, you always see a Celtic or rangers top.

11 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

I'm on holiday for the Dundee Derby. A retro effort is completely acceptable in such circumstances and will be donned. 

It goes without saying that the wearing of a Dee top is exempt from any criticism or accusations of minkiness when abroad